Al's Yamaha DXR8 powered speaker review

• Members

A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of testing the biggest full range cabinet in Yamaha's DXR line : the DXR15 and was VERY impressed at the quality of sound, output and features this new line of Yamaha powered cabinets offered. Today, I decided to try out the smallest cabinet in the DXR line : the DXR8.

I would like to thank Matt at Prom Music in Sudbury for letting me try these new powered cabs.

Like all of the other cabinets in the line, the DXR8 features 700 watts of built in power (1100 watts peak) and what could be considered as the ultimate mixer section for a powered speaker. No less that 3 input channels are available (XLR, dual 1/4'' and RCA) with individual gains for each one as well as a line/mic select on the first channel. You also have 3 overall sound settings : FOH/Main which automatically applies a small low frequency and high frequency boost, OFF which I would guess is flat response and finally Monitor which reduces the low frequencies. You also find a high pass filter that can be set to OFF, 100hz or 120hz in order to facilitate using the DXR full range cabinets with a powered sub. If all of that wasn't enough, you also have an XLR link out with mono/stereo select and a button that lets you disable the white LED light on the front of the cabinet. Finally, you have 4 LEDs that indicate Power, Signal, Limit and Protection. There is also a visible cooling fan. The DXR8 retails for 599$ in Canada and 549$ in the US and weighs in at just under 30lbs. A carry handle on the top of the unit is provided to make moving it quite easy. So how do the DXR8s sound?

In testing

Since I am a DJ, I only tested the DXR8s with CD music. I tested them mostly with newer top 40 music in different configurations : as is out of the box, with the DContour applied, with my LS720P sub (and the DXR8's 100hz filter engaged) and what I have to say is this : Yamaha knows what they are doing when it comes to DSP. At all times and at all levels I could bear to tolerate in my little studio, the DXR8's internal processing seemed to always be able to make the most of the components inside the box, offering a good, crisp and clear delivery no matter what I threw at it and at what levels I asked these minuscule cabinets to perform. Even run full range and with the DContour applied, once the little 8'' woofers reached their maximum excursion, the DXR8 was able to give me even more sound as I put the mixer slider up - without sounding stressed and while keeping the quality of the sound consistent and musical. The only time I saw the limit lights activate was when I purposely boosted the low frequencies a few decibels on my mixer and brought up the levels to SEE that they were actually functional...

How would I describe the sound of the DXR8? I really have to compare them to my (reference) RCF Art 310As - which I did of course. Comparing the two, I would have to say the DXR8s have a little more upper mid presence and a more airy top end while the RCFs are noticeably warmer sounding overall with deeper low frequency and a slightly less edgy upper mid which makes them a bit more ear friendly at higher levels in small spaces - such as my studio. Overall, both cabinets defenitely sound great - simply different flavors of great I guess. I will have to try to get my hands on the DXR10s for a better comparison of two 10'' cabinets since a part of the reason for the 310A sounding warmer and deeper is of course because of its bigger woofer and enclosure .

Full range use?

In reality, there is only so much low frequency you can expect from any compact cabinet with an 8'' woofer. As you would guess, adding a sub or two is almost a necessity for any application other than spoken word and possibly coffee house acoustic guitar with vocal type gigs. For full range DJ use, I would have to recommend the DXR12 or even better DXR15s that are more efficient at delivering those deeper notes. (the DXR15 with DContour on and a small high frequency boost is a must hear for any DJ that wants full, deep hi-fi sound without subs)

Conclusion

Yamaha's DXR series of powered speakers delivers a surprising amount of technology, output and features for the money and is sure to be popular with DJs and musicians alike - making most of them sound much better than they ever could have 10 years ago and at a price that will make them smile all the way to the gig.

Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

Wow, that's one tiny speaker- thanks for the review.

For smaller rooms, I imagine the 8" would do really well with a sub. I mean if you're going to bring a sub, the question becomes how small of a top will do the job. Doesn't an 8" do better for the mid-range than a 10/12/15"? I know that many 3 way designs use a 6.5" or 8" for the mids- so if you use a sub with the DSR 8, you're effectively replicating the design of many 3 way speakers. And with such a high stated output (129 db spl), that apparently doesn't get harsh even when pushed, you could do get a pretty loud output with the right sub.

• Members

Wow, that's one tiny speaker- thanks for the review.

For smaller rooms, I imagine the 8" would do really well with a sub. I mean if you're going to bring a sub, the question becomes how small of a top will do the job. Doesn't an 8" do better for the mid-range than a 10/12/15"? I know that many 3 way designs use a 6.5" or 8" for the mids- so if you use a sub with the DSR 8, you're effectively replicating the design of many 3 way speakers. And with such a high stated output (129 db spl), that apparently doesn't get harsh even when pushed, you could do get a pretty loud output with the right sub.

Absolutely. I'm listening to the DXR8s this morning by themselves at lower level with the DContour on + a small boost on the top end and am just loving the sound. The high frequencies are really nice and detailed and they are just a pleasure to listen to.

Al

• Members

Not really something I can test in this small a space. If I take some DXRs to a gig in the near future, I will be able to check that out for you.

Al

Al;

Step away from those powered speakers! :-)

Your going to have to go to "Powered Speakers Anonymous"

Nice review. Floor monitor angle?

Thanks;

Doug

• Members

Al;

Step away from those powered speakers! :-)

Your going to have to go to "Powered Speakers Anonymous"

Nice review. Floor monitor angle?

Thanks;

Doug

:lol: I can certainly check the monitor angle once I hesitantly disconnect them and get ready to bring them back to my dealer. :cry: I'm currently doing some listening with my LS720P handling the deep stuff at them moment and I just can't stop listening... Yamaha has really put together some seriously nice sounding boxes here. I've got a small high frequency boost on them (like I did with the DSR15s) and I'm really noticing details in familiar songs that I never really noticed. The more I listen to these tiny cabs, the more I like them. I would even go as far as saying I like them as much as my RCFs - which is saying quite a bit coming from me. At this point, after hearing so many nice speakers with that crisp, detailed and open top end, my Wharfedale Titans are really starting to sound not so good in comparison. :facepalm:

My dealer should be getting the DXR10s and 12s in next week. (he sold almost all of his DXR stock!) Will have to compare the 10s and 12s now to pick a favorite. And yes, I am full aware I've got a problem. :-)

Al

Archived