Appoprate amp for Peavey Impulse II

• Members

Rated 50/100/200 (16 ohm) 100hz -20khz 90db, 1w/1m

Use: Talking head / spoken word head table coverage (normal speech and LIGHT music only)

Coverage range: Max 40' with 85db (or so) max SPL at that distance. (very high estimate of need).

Processing: Will use one ouput from DR260 filtered at 100hz - 110z.

These little speakers do exactly what I need them to do. The fill the area with adequate sound. I really am babying them at the moment because I have a pair running on one side of a PLX3102. I really have that channel dialed back to about 20%, but it scares me with amount of potential power that could go to them. I would like to be able to open them up with confidence. I have not had success finding a low wattage amp that I trust.

Can anybody recommend an appropriate amp for these? Remember that they 16 ohm and will only pull about have the normal power.

I am open to a stereo or single channel amp.

Thanks,

David

• Members

I've got a very nice Hafler stereo amp. (75 watts per side.) You might try looking for one of them. (Very clean, convection cooling and rack mountable.) I use mine as a HF horn amp in a bi-amp and tri-amp configuration. (Got to watch it with my Altec horns. Their only rated 35 watts. But they're 110 db splash!)

• Members

Although the 260 has brickwall limiting, it is peak only. If, for some unknown reason, someone decides that they want to turn up the Impulses (I have a pair, one for each side of the stage area), the peak would be squashed, but the RMS power could be pushed right up to the peak threashhold.

The RMX850 would be a reasonable amp (still a little power heavy). 45 lbs? Those days are gone for me.

David

• Members
Although the 260 has brickwall limiting, it is peak only.

Are you sure? Even the crappy 'ringer version is RMS. Wanna trade :D ?

The RMX850 would be a reasonable amp (still a little power heavy). 45 lbs? Those days are gone for me.

35 lbs actually - but I thought this was an install? I replaced the RMX850's with XLS1000's when I went for lighter but it's tough to find decent lower powered amps these days :( . You could also run a pair of them speakers in series from your 3120 for 75w each which is pretty much perfect :D .

• Members

Although the 260 has brickwall limiting, it is peak only. If, for some unknown reason, someone decides that they want to turn up the Impulses (I have a pair, one for each side of the stage area), the peak would be squashed, but the RMS power could be pushed right up to the peak threashhold.

If you fear that somebody is going to operate it that way, then set the peak limiting at a safe value that you feel you can run hard into. What type of limiting do you think you get with a smaller amp and it's clip limiters? That's right, peak limiting.

• Members

Are you sure? Even the crappy 'ringer version is RMS. Wanna trade
:D
?35 lbs actually - but I thought this was an install? I replaced the RMX850's with XLS1000's when I went for lighter but it's tough to find decent lower powered amps these days
:(
. You could also run a pair of them speakers in series from your 3120 for 75w each which is pretty much perfect
:D

I thought about going parallel for about 10 seconds. 40 ft to the first, then 90 ft to the second, with all power running through 1 coil then to the other. nah

• Members

If you fear that somebody is going to operate it that way, then set the peak limiting at a safe value that you feel you can run hard into. What type of limiting do you think you get with a smaller amp and it's clip limiters? That's right, peak limiting.

You got an answer for everything, don'tcha. ha I need QSC to build me a PLX0804 or a PLX0704. Guess its time to get out the meter and dial the 3102 back to yield whatever the volts works out to be and set the 260's limiter to unity on the board aux 1.

Thanks,

David

• Members
I thought about going parallel for about 10 seconds. 40 ft to the first, then 90 ft to the second, with all power running through 1 coil then to the other. nah

It's really not that hard - I've done it when I needed to run 6 monitors off one amp channel :cool: .

• Members

The DR260 has limiting with RMS detecting on the basic limiter and a peak let-thru that IIRC is adjustable.

GX-3 would be an ok amp with the proper limiting and HPF.

The issue with throwing the limiting terminology around casually is that while there are peak and RMS detectors, some folks (Crown for example) also apply RMS limiting terminology to long time constants.

Know exactly what you mean so that the results match your expectations.

• Members

I really appreciate the remark about the 260 limiter. It spurred a question that DBX answered as what you said. Something that no one on the Driverack forum knew. Everyone always assumed peak only.

Thanks a ton,

David

• Members

I really appreciate the remark about the 260 limiter. It spurred a question that DBX answered as what you said. Something that no one on the Driverack forum knew. Everyone always assumed peak only.

Thanks a ton,

David

There is so much bad information by folks that think they know a lot more than they do. This is why I am now recommending the quality powered speaker products. I see way too many of these DSP units set up incorrectly by folks who know it all. They will even argue that it's perfect and I'm full of {censored} when I SHOW them that one of their "carefully programmed" processing modules like limiting is disabled within the software and NON-FUNCTIONAL!!!

I do this stuff for a living, I design this stuff for a living, I support this stuff for a living. I have to know what I am doing or I wouldn't survive.

• Members

I've always been amazed at how crappy the documentation for these devices is. AFAIK there exists no document that states that the DR260 has RMS limiters. Neither does the 'ringer "clone" docs :freak: . Anybody know what's up with the DRPA limiters? I've been meaning to put mine on the bench and see...

Archived