What should I get? ( DIGITAL MIXER)

• Members

Decisions, Decisions....

I'm selling my Allen & Heath ZED 428 this Saturday. I have another mixer that will get me by for maybe a few weeks.

But I do need a new mixer.

Any that I'mm missing that you guys would suggest?

I'm looking at 16 - 24 preamp channels out of box and ability to integrate either an additional mixer, or an interface to add more channels when needed (local rental place).. Integrated processing... Ipad compatible, and ability to multitrack .and price wise, under $2300 (flexible on price since I'm financing.)

This gives me the 16 channel studiolive and o1v96vcm.

Am I missing any in this price range?

Any ther that I'm missing and you guys would suggest?

• Members

And at that price it just became more expensive than the Yamaha even after you add 8 more pre amps to it. Further, the Yammie only has 12 mic preamps, but the last four channels have TRS sleeve inputs. I made the obligatory rack panel for the rear and put XLRs for those channels just like all the others. With input signal from keys, any other line level input, or even most of the drum mic's, you will find them usable.

• Members

Two SL 1602's are about that price range. Two used SL 1624's might also be in the same price range, as another option. I don't know how feasible it is to link them, or to add even more channels via yet another board. With no disrespect intended, I think your wish list of features exceeds your current budget.

I assume that you have already budgeted for a suitable computer and wireless router that will be needed to mix wirelessly from an iPad. I don't know if running two (or more) boards requires more processing power or I/O capacity than you can get from a single computer, but that might be something else to consider. Mark C.

• Members

I bought my StudioLive 23;4,2 on a Musicians' Friend Presidents Day sale, and if I remember correctly, it was something like 15% off. Selling price back then, was roughly $3349., and I got it for $2800. They even included a free bonus, a 200w Harbinger 15" powered loudspeaker.

Here's a new link from MF, and it appears to have come down significantly in price. Just wait until the next "sale", and you're in business.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-studiolive-24.4.2-digital-mixer

• Members

I bought my StudioLive 24;4,2 on a Musicians' Friend Presidents Day sale, and if I remember correctly, it was something like 15% off. Selling price back then, was roughly $3349., and I got it for $2800. They even included a free bonus, a 200w Harbinger 15" powered loudspeaker.

Here's a new link from MF, and it appears to have come down significantly in price. Just wait until the next "sale", and you're in business.

OOPS!!! Just noticed on the above link, that you don't have to wait for an upcoming sale. MF will give you a 15% discount on all purchases over $249. Just use coupon code NEWGEAR12. That would bring the price down to roughly $2465. w/free-shipping (re-stock)

• Members

Adding channels to the 01v96 is quite easy to do with an external preamp into the ADAT in/out connections.

Actually one of the thing I love about the 01v. I use the ADAT cables and am able to hook up 5 monitor outs and 2 mains instantly. If I had any dedicated wireless mics I would mount those in the same rack and they would be included in the 2 plug set-up.

• Members

On that particular Yamaha model you better add in for a interface card if your wanting to record to computer.

I know Yamaha just added the OV96i that has a USB port but being it's USB 2 technology you'll be limited

on how many actual individual channels you can record at once just so you know I highly doubt you''ll get 24 individual channels at once.

Yamaha has way more features then the Presonus SL mixer and if your not a IT type you'll need a Mac is what Presonus recommends for their SL mixers.

• Members

01V96 with an adat outboard X8 mic pre setup might just squeek into your budget. This would give you 20 balanced mic pre's and depending on the outboard unit, up to 8 aux outs (we setup with 6 mixes and feed the two internal FX units with the other two auxes).

You're asking a lot for the budget you have unless you're willing to buy used.

• Members

The new V says 16 channel I/O via USB. I suspect the number is true. The board can go to 32 channel yet they didn't try to say it did 32 I/O so it rings true.

That's because of the USB 2 has limited data streaming.

The work around is using a RME raydat card on the computer end which has 48 channels of adat but that exceeds the OP's budget plus they want work with a laptop since raydat cards are PCI slot style cards.

• Members

Yes I know about the USB streaming. You posted prior to that the USB would be limited, and I was saying Yamaha seems to feel confident on 16 in/out. Sounded like you weren't certain he could even get that, so I was just throwing out the number. The board was designed with ADAT in mind and any direction other than that is a workaround.

• Members

Yes I know about the USB streaming. You posted prior to that the USB would be limited, and I was saying Yamaha seems to feel confident on 16 in/out. Sounded like you weren't certain he could even get that, so I was just throwing out the number. The board was designed with ADAT in mind and any direction other than that is a workaround.

Okay 16 i/o gotcha thought the OP wanted up to 24 ?

Sure the Yamaha end would be fine but not sure about the other end ;)

• Members

Thanks guys for all the input.

For now it's looking like a studiolive 16 4 2 is in my future. Though I'll wait for a mother's day or memorial day special from MF or GC so I can get it as cheap as possible. I'll probably rent a second one when I need it and buy that 2nd one down the road.

Plus I HAVE used a 24 4 2 a couple of times... Anybody know if there are any major differences between the 24 and the 16? other than # of auxes, fat channel, etc.?

Computer wise, I just bought a macbook pro last month so no worries on that.

Let me open up another can o worms... Any digital board in the $4000-5000 range that might be a possibilty if I can get a good deal on it? (remember, I'm financing whichever board I get)

I ask because all I see is something like an LS9 and the new Allen Heath Ilive board and those are a bit above what I have budgeted to spend..

Archived