Power Amp 'Current' Draw- How to calculate?

• Members

I fear of overloading the electrical wall socket if I were to power up 2 BIG power amps. I dont want to 'trip' the main power terminal :eek::eek::eek:

Most manufacturers do not state how many 'amperes' a power amp draws out for the wall socket.

So my question is about 'Amperes'. How do I find out how many amperes each power amp draws? :confused:

• Members

Most quality manufacturers in fact do specify this... but I suspect that you are not looking at quality manufacturers eh?

How do you find out?

You have to figure out where you fall in the dynamics of your music, the amplifier power needed to achieventhe target SPL with your speakers, the load on the amp, and figure out which duty cycle range you fall into. Generally somewhere between 1/8-rated audio power and 1/4-rated audio power is the audio side of the equation and the manufacturer will need to provide the current draw for this duty cycle under the load you are running.

I generate this data in-house where the manufacturer either doesn't offer it or on a legacy product where the data is no longer available.

• Members

sometimes when power sockets are limited we plug in a small device that measures the current draw. we find it usefull and pretty cheap aswell. we got ours from Maplins i think,do you have this store across the pond.

• Members

1/8 to 1/4 rated audio power? ...so if an amp puts out 650w in 4 Ohms...how many amperes does it actually draw?.. assuming it is driven at its max?

I am guessing 3A?

For example, a Crown XTI-2000 puts out 800 watts per channel at 4 ohms. It draws just over 7 amps at 1/8 power, 4 ohms, pink noise signal at 120 volts. It is reasonably efficient. I don't know the voltage where you are, but if you have 220 volts, 3 to 4 amps is almost right as a guess, but that will depend a lot on the particular amp used. Newer amps sip power, but older iron like Crown Macrotechs could need several times that much amperage.

• Members

For example, a Crown XTI-2000 puts out 800 watts per channel at 4 ohms. It draws just over 7 amps at 1/8 power, 4 ohms, pink noise signal at 120 volts. It is reasonably efficient. I don't know the voltage where you are, but if you have 220 volts, 3 to 4 amps is almost right as a guess, but that will depend a lot on the particular amp used. Newer amps sip power, but older iron like Crown Macrotechs could need several times that much amperage.

Malaysia uses 220v.

• Members

I know this is not what you ssked but when in doubt plug into a second outlet. Chances are it is on another circuit (not always but chances are good) and then you will have enough power. JMHO

Good idea! Thank you telecruiser.

• CMS Author

I know this is not what you ssked but when in doubt plug into a second outlet. Chances are it is on another circuit (not always but chances are good) and then you will have enough power. JMHO

If you can verify the receptacles are on different circuits, this is a good plan. If not, your chances are 50/50. Get a circuit tracer and know for sure.

• Members

Andy...I hope I understood you perfectly.

1/8 to 1/4 rated audio power? ...so if an amp puts out 650w in 4 Ohms...how many amperes does it actually draw?.. assuming it is driven at its max?

I am guessing 3A?

It depends entirely on the amp's topology and the power supply efficiency (and if it has PFC).

You have to look at the manufacturer's data.

3 amps would be in the ballpark, but it depends.

• CMS Author

HOw do I do that? how does a 'circuit trader' look like?

TraCer, not trader. It's a small device that plugs into a receptacle, and another device that looks like an electronic thermometer that you touch each breaker with. When it makes a sound and lights up, you're touching the breaker that supplies the receptacle.

• Members

TraCer, not trader. It's a small device that plugs into a receptacle, and another device that looks like an electronic thermometer that you touch each breaker with. When it makes a sound and lights up, you're touching the breaker that supplies the receptacle.

Yes, per exactly. I own and use GB Instusments Circuit Tracker device as shown here:

http://www.youdoitsupply.com/product/GET-1200

I works and does as it's intended purpose.

Archived