These make monster cables look good

• Members

I have a friend who used to work as an engineer at Monster.

One night after he'd had a few beers, and some poking from me about their so called "engineering", he fessed up.

"Ok, so when it gets down to it, the only real "innovation" we had was a plastic formulation that changed the optical index of refraction on the jacket so the wire looks bigger than it is to the eye. You're right, the rest was, and is utter bull{censored}."

The rest was marketing. Monster was one of the first companies to directly pay spiffs not just to the retail chain, but the actual sales bozos on the floor. Net result, when the sales guy is getting a commission on the product, of course he's gonna tell you it's the best thing since sliced bread.

• Members

Not anymore!!!

I just looked it up and it's around $9700 a year for tuition and "fees" if you live in state. I have no idea what the fees part is. I just remember when I started it was $604 a quarter (3 quarters was a school year so around $1800). When I graduated I want To say it was like $2400 a year.

So you can have almost 2 yrs of college tuition, or an uber cool microphone cable. Or you have several brand new 2012 car models you could choose from for the price. If you by the cable you better not tell a soul about or you'll be mugged on the spot. If you can't brag what a discriminating audiophile you are and point to your fancy cable then what's the point?

• Members

Then again maybe we are the fools. Assuming the majority of the cable price is due to the gold content (which I know it's not, but let's pretend for a moment), you could have theoretically bought that $18,000 cable for $3,600 10 yrs ago and melted down for a profit today.

• Members

Then again maybe we are the fools. Assuming the majority of the cable price is due to the gold content (which I know it's not, but let's pretend for a moment), you could have theoretically bought that $18,000 cable for $3,600 10 yrs ago and melted down for a profit today.

Actually not really. Gold plating on stranded conductors for interconnect purposes is only a few molecules thick. There's almost no value in gold in an entire spool of this stuff, let alone a few feet. No, the price is bull{censored}, just like the product. The only thing that the money is paying for is the ass hat's Ferrari or whatever ridiculous bling he no doubt owns to show off how cool he is. These sort of people make me puke, especially when there's real engineers building real products using real science in all kinds of cool little companies barely scraping by. The depths of stupidity on the part of consumers who buy this kinna crap says a lot about us as a society.

• Members

Actually not really. Gold plating on stranded conductors for interconnect purposes is only a few molecules thick. There's almost no value in gold in an entire spool of this stuff, let alone a few feet. No, the price is bull{censored}, just like the product. The only thing that the money is paying for is the ass hat's Ferrari or whatever ridiculous bling he no doubt owns to show off how cool he is. These sort of people make me puke, especially when there's real engineers building real products using real science in all kinds of cool little companies barely scraping by. The depths of stupidity on the part of consumers who buy this kinna crap says a lot about us as a society.

Agreed. My post was tongue in cheek.

• Members

So, who does buy them? Someone must! Does anyone here actualy know anyone who has bought something like that?

Probably rich hobbyists who buy into this crap. There are audiophiles who absolutely believe that their stereo systems sound better using $10,000 speaker cables. If such a person also happens to play electric guitar, I'm sure you can convince him he needs an $8,000 guitar cable as well.

There is a myth in our society that people who make a lot of money are necessarily smart. It isn't true.

• Members

I would educate anyone I know that was considering such a purchase. So I doubt it.

However there are a lot of people whose disposable income far exceeds their understanding of physics.

I would think that a $130,000 amplifier sitting on a $6000 stand would have a good chance of not sounding bad. Probably no better than one that is sitting on the floor and costs 130 times less, but it would sound good. It might be the perfect accessory for the $750k music room over in the east wing.

With nothing to compare it to and the stupid costs not even making a nick in the buyers disposable income, they might easily buy into its value.

Kind of like a million dollar car.

But for me, it would not be a fun or satisfying market to service. The customers will be happy, but you provided no value for them whatsoever.

Archived