capturing audience for outdoor festival recording, mic choices

• Members

at the end of this month i'll be running a two day shindig and plan to record the bands, but i want to get crowd as well. mostly i'll be using standards like sm58, audix drum mics, sm 57 on guitar..the usual suspects.

i have a pair of mxl 990? the small diafram condensor with the interchangable capsules, and i do have both the omni and cardioid capsules for it. i also have a pair of audio technica atm10s which i've used indoors to get good recordings of bands, but they are very bass heavy and i think outdoors might be a bit much.

which capsule on the mxl would you guys use, and where would you put the mics to get a good audience sound.

part of me wants to put them on the edge of the stage, in cardioid mode, and reverse the phase so that they get band, but they mostly get crowd, and another part of me wants to put them in omni mode on a stand near foh, but then i'll be getting lots of the pa sound, and i have close mics also feeding the recorder. for the main capture.

thoughts?

• Members

I use audio-technica shotguns (w/ cat fur) on either side of the stage, pointing straight to the back of the crowd. Works well.

Omni and even cardioid mics will pickup too much stage and PA sound to be useful.

• Members

I use a pair of Oktava MC012's with the supercardioid caps at center stage forward of the center wedges on a shorty stand. Many times putting them back at FOH isn't really an option, as I'm using a splitter on stage to pull the individual lines off the FOH feeds. I'd like to try a blumlien configuration at some point but just haven't rationalized dropping the $ on the figure 8 caps.

• Members

i actually do this a lot and have tried a number of ways to do it. i have found one way that works better than any other i have tried and it is sm81's in the lincoln box arrangement.

pad them.

hi pass them.

place them slightly behind the PA speakers pointing directly toward the audience. i choose some imaginary point of convergence 2/3's deep in the crowd. you do not need to delay these mics when done in this manner.

try it. then try every other way imaginable. then we can both agree this way works awesome.

BTW any mic will work. i often use cadm179 for this. what doesnt work? at4041 - good mic but sucks at this.

• Members

i like the sm 81 behind the speakers idea, it seems logical to a point. i'm going to have a line array so wash from the pa should be less than just a point source system, i think..

i wonder if using the pair of mics at foh 75 ft back would creat a nice spaciousness, using the delay from the stage to foh aslike..predelay? idont need a lot of crowd i just dont want dry boring stage feed only.

Archived