Please Advice - YORKVILLE EF500P Vs. EV ELX115P

• Members

Hey guys I am debating which to buy? Yorkville EF500P Vs EV ELX115P.

I will really appreciate if I could get some advice & opinions between these two speakers.

I intend to use them for Live Band and occasional DJing.

So far I am inclined towards the EV's mainly because they are 1000 Watts and almost 30Lbs lighter as compared to the Yorkville Ef500P which are 800Watts and about 86 Lbs.

*PS: Any recommendations for a powerful Powered Sub to go with these speakers ?

Cheers !!!

• Members

Don't buy based on what they claim for wattage, the EF500P will outperform the ELX115p in every way....accept it's weight!

I like EV products....I hate there low end powered lineup *ELX*, have not been a fan at all of these, they just plain underperform IMO.

The sub is useless and the internet is full of thermal issues regarding this line.

The only negative thing I can say about the EF500P is that it weighs a ton! if weight is going to be an issue for you DON'T buy this cabinet.

It is difficult to get up on poles/stands if you are buy yourself.

Other then that, they sound great, can be pushed well into there limiters without cutting out...and sound good doing it.

If weight is a issue for you I would look into the QSC KW series, EV ZXa series...or any RCF ART series cabinet.

• Members

Vinny is correct here. I used the EF500P for a couple of years and it's a very solid speaker and have no doubts that it will out perform the ELX115P. It sounds good, but it is on the heavy side. If you are looking at EV around the ELX price point, I would suggest the SXa360...or SXa250, both would be a better option IMHO. If you want to step up the food chain, take a look at he ZXa5.

As Bobby1Note says.....LS801P for subs!!

• Members

I use the ELX - i am quite happy with them and would have no hesitation recommending them (the tops that is). I have not used the yorkville, but i get the impression that it is simply in a different category - different price point and all. They look much better (as long as weight isnt an issue).

The EV ELX sub is somewhat underwhelming, but the light weight is a strong selling point. The sub definitely sounded a lot more powerful in store than in use.

• Members

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=2&id=103

The Yorkville EF500P is in a whole other league. Read the features and specs.

The EV Live X line is the entry level replacement line for the old EV Force entry level boxes.

The EV115P weighs 65.1 lbs and has a 1.5" diaphram comp driver.

The EF500P weighs 82.9 lbs and has a 2.0" diaphram comp driver.

The difference is 17.8 lbs.....not almost 30 lbs.

The EV115 passive version is 95 db 1w1m.....the EV115P box will be the same sensitivity.

The ouput sensitivity numbers do not magically change when the box is powered by a mounted plate amp loaded with tricks

1000 watts is a 30 db gain in the active EV115P. 95+30 is 125 db max SPL THEORETICAL.

Anyone that I have talked to says that there is no way that this box will put out 134 db max even THEORETICALLY, and there are numerous reports all over the internet regarding the same thing.

To reach 134 db max SPL would require another 9 db above 125 db.

2000 watts is a 33db gain.

4000 watts is a 36 db gain.

8000 watts is a 39 db gain.

Therefore it would take 8000 watts to get to 134 db.

Maybe there are dwarfs and bears and girls in comas and little girls who eat porridge in cottages in the woods in this land of 1000 watt amps producing 8000 watts.

I am sure that the EV115P is better than EV's previous entry level offerings and 125 db is a decent max SPL number, even in THEORY for an entry level box.

They represent decent bang for the buck until you compare them to mint condition higher level used gear, (which the market is flooded with), on the way back from the Land of Broken Dreams in Rock n' Roll.;)

Buy the EF500Ps!

• Members

If weight isn't a consideration then get the EF500P's - they are loud, sturdy and a good sounding box, especially for a live band.

If weight is a consideration then your alternative is also too heavy IMO.

The EF500P and the LS801P is kind of a classic pairing. You don't have to do it that way, but they're a good match.

If you need lighter and you're in the U.S.A. you could be looking at some of the lighter JBL, RCF.... offerings.

• Members

The max SPL number is likely based on peak values, so the 1000 watts RMS becomes 2000 watts peak (exactly the same signal) and the Max SPL increases by 3dB right there, so that gets you to 128dB (small signal model). The other 6dB may be from the marketing department. ;)

• Members

Gigged with my EF500ps for many years. Everytime I think of going lighter I have another gig with them and change my mind. Solid, multi use box. I've done everything from country, bluegrass, country-rock to metal with no problems.

Ef500p and Ls801p is a clasic combo.

Dookietwo

• Members

The max SPL number is likely based on peak values, so the 1000 watts RMS becomes 2000 watts peak (exactly the same signal) and the Max SPL increases by 3dB right there, so that gets you to 128dB (small signal model). The other 6dB may be from the marketing department.
;)

Hey Andy

Them Marketin' Folk sure are good at conjuring up another 6000 watts.;)

These were my thoughts.

I can't believe the 2000 watts peak although it was my initial thought.

The website says nothing as to whether the 1000 watt class D amp is rms or peak:

Case Material 9-ply, 15mm Plywood, Internally Braced, with Texured Paint

Color Black

Nominal Impedance 8 ?

Power Rating 1000 W

Speaker Type Full-range, mid-high, two-way

Woofer Size 381 mm (15")

Frequency Response (-3 dB) 60 - 20000 Hz

Frequency Response (-10 dB) 40 - 20000 Hz

The marketing is VERY Slippery here!

I have never seen any of the companies provide a peak wattage above the max passive rating which is 1600 watts peak.

Remember all those "Do as I say not as I do Active powered speakers".;)

That is what led me to the belief that this was really 1000 watts peak.

I would power the passive box with no more than 500 rms/1000 peak.

And I got that kind of knowledge from a very wise man who knows lots about horses.....And loudspeakers!:thu:

And we both know that neither the horn or woofer is ever likely to see stated amplifier power, despite how they split up the hokey unusable supposedly 1000 rms watt rating.

That is why I threw the 2000 watts peak out the window!:lol:

I will also believe that the woofer is a 3" VC and can't take much power anyway, and that it will suffer very heavy compression losses because it just....

"Can't take the Heat!" :idea:

They don't make no Diff Drives on them entry level boxes over there at EV!

• Members

Hey Andy

Them Marketin' Folk sure are good at conjuring up another 6000 watts.
;)

That's their job!!!

I was just throwing out the possibility. There's no way to know without doing a teardown test. Maybe they are testing the powered speakers in a 1/4-space, that would pick up the difference...

• Members

That's their job!!!
I was just throwing out the possibility. There's no way to know without doing a teardown test. Maybe they are testing the powered speakers in a 1/4-space, that would pick up the difference...

:lol::lol::lol:

Caught me off guard!!!

Hot sugared tea coming out of my nostrils is no fun at all!

:facepalm: I am thinking that this emoticon is the best impression of what I did when it happened. My sinuses were not happy!

It was the nostrils or the laptop keyboard!!!

• Members

Andy I read on another forum that EV was using 1/4 space testing to come up with their specs. Now how true that is I dunno ?

But do I know the the ELX subs are weak with a side by side comparison against Yorkville LS608 powered with a GX5 amp.

• Members

As soon as the marketeers figure out they can claim another 3db by going to 1/8 space they will
:freak:

:lol: of course it's why they spends billions on marketing to sell us junk for profit gear to use a few times then help fill up our landfills. :thu:

• Members

Have you considered the Yamaha DXR15 at all? For DJ work (where they wouldprobably suffice on their own) or with a sub or two for a live band, they would be ideal IMO. They just sound really, reallly GOOD with surprising low frequency response and ear pleasing overall sound + the processing is outstanding - keeping the speakers sounding good at all levels! At 49lbs, they are a breeze to move as well. The EF500P is a very capable box, but very heavy and not the best sounding for DJ duty/playback material IMO. More of a "live" sounding speaker which can be tamed somewhat with EQ, but still won't sound as good as the DXR for DJ duty anyway. This of course is just my opinion - but I really think the DXR boxes (or even DSRs) are worth a listen and may be a better choice than the EF500P, especially considering the price of the EF500s...

Al

• Members

Why those 2 models specifically? They are hardly alike in price or performance. IMO, the EF500P, while a fine box, is not a "one trick pony". The output is great and they throw very well, but that's due to a relatively narrow coverage pattern and the 2" exit horn. They aren't great "off axis" and, IMO, are best when used at multiples of 2 per side. So 4 makes for a nice mid size venue or small outdoor rig. At one per side they may not offer the needed coverage for wide venues or when the audience is close.

Again, great box if it's what your application calls for, but if you're looking for a general purpose box I simply wouldn't choose the EF500P. There are many others that are more convenient to use and likely more suited when used as a pair. JBL PRX, RCF ART, the Yamaha's as mentioned. I use RCF ART 522A's, and find them extremely versatile, but if I were looking now I'd try and get my hands on an FBT ProMaxx 14a. They look absolutely killer....1.4" exit horn on a 90 degree guide, which is a good compromise of throw and coverage, very good input section, can be used as monitors, and 36 lbs is as light as it gets. I've also heard good things about FBT support.

You also mentioned a "powered sub". If you mean you're only looking at one, forget about it. Your tops will run away from the subs.

• Members

I've actually found the relatively narrow dispersion pattern of my EF-508s (unpowered sibling of the EF500P) to be an advantage in clubs more often than not. It allows me to direct the sound where I want it most (dance area) and away from where I want it least (the bar and side seating). There's nothing worse than having a bar staff constantly on your case about levels...

But anyway...

I put handles on the tops of mine, which makes all the difference in the world when it comes to moving them - or mounting them by yourself on tripod stands. In fact I don't how you could even erect them on tripods by yourself without top handles.

sany0040g.th.jpg

• Members

As I said in an earlier post, I used to own the EF500P and while they are a good sounding speaker, they are on the heavy side and take two people to pole mount (unless you're 20 and have a strong back). Like Abzurd, I use the RCF 522a and I must say they are a pleasure both audio wise and weight wise. Every time I pick one up I say to myself never again will I use boat anchor top cabinets. There are plenty of great sounding boxes out there that will compete with the EF500P (even sound better) at half their weight. You may want to consider looking and listening to some of them (ie. RCF ART, FBT Promaxx, JBL PRX, etc) unless you're dead set on the EF500P.

I still say LS801P for active subs though....even though they are heavy, they have wheels and are fairly easy to move around....and best of all sound good and have great output.

• Members

I'm 65 years old and pole mount my EF-508s twice a week by myself. It's not that hard. But I do agree that the OP should consider all alternatives before deciding.

LOL.....I must be showing my wimpyness!!

• Members

JBL PRX, RCF ART, the Yamaha's as mentioned. I use RCF ART 522A's, and find them extremely versatile, but if I were looking now I'd try and get my hands on an FBT ProMaxx 14a. They look absolutely killer....1.4" exit horn on a 90 degree guide, which is a good compromise of throw and coverage, very good input section, can be used as monitors, and 36 lbs is as light as it gets.

But, will they be as bullet-proof as the EF500's?

• Members

But, will they be as bullet-proof as the EF500's?

I was a long time Yorkville speaker user (4, NX550P's and still own 2, ES700P subs). Yorkville makes good reliable stuff, but even I had a diaphragm go in a box and the tops and subs both developed annoying rattles. Nothing is perfect and I'm sure more than 1 EF500 has failed in the field.

I'm just bringing up real world experience with that particular model.... well almost that model I guess. A sound company used the passive version of them and I just didn't think they were a good box for small venues. I'm not sure they'd be a good DJ box, but don't know. I think of them as an "aggressive rock box". A lot of output for the size, projection is about as good as it gets, but they don't do well off axis from what I remember. I'm just sayin' if I had to spend $2200-$2400 for a pair of speakers right now, those wouldn't be at the top of the list. In fact they wouldn't be on MY list at all, especially if I had to do it myself (DJ gig) and was limited to only a pair for every situation. YMMV.

Archived