Carvin Line Array?

• Members

When's the Behringer line array coming out?
:lol:

They've had one out for sometime now. Seem to remember it has smallish drivers and subs.

I'll have to do a search and put a a link up.

You can see the I nuke em' amps as well.

Dookietwo

• Members

Carvin also has a new 21" passive TRX sub that looks almost tempting. As well as there new processing stuff.

I looked at the 21 inch sub. Its 23.5 X 23.5 X 23.5 and is 80lbs.

Claims a 10 db down point of 20hz with a 3db down point of 30hz.

1000/2000/4000peak. 4 0hms

97db 1w1m 133peak. 80lbs.

$479 hmmm. Seems like alot to ask for such a small box but time will tell.

• Members

I got to admit that the box construction of the TRX line is really nice and well done. Just a guess but maybe done by the TCS guys?

One of these days I'm going to buy a pair of the coax 12" monitors just for grins, but they do sound pretty decent.

• Members

My concern is now we are about to have a bunch of people with no knowledge deploying a line array....the possibilities of failure are endless.

I have owned a few TRX series cabs in the past, liked how they were built....not a fan of how they sounded.

Worked great for playback music, just didn't give me what I wanted *live* use..

• Members

I looked at the 21 inch sub. Its 23.5 X 23.5 X 23.5 and is 80lbs.

Claims a 10 db down point of 20hz with a 3db down point of 30hz.

1000/2000/4000peak. 4 0hms

97db 1w1m 133peak. 80lbs.

$479 hmmm.
Seems like alot to ask for such a small box but time will tell

My thoughts exactly

• Members

That's why I suggest verifying, I don't think it's possibel regardless of tuning options used UNLESS they throw a ton of DSP enhancement at it and then limit/HPF it back for protection. That would mean that you are giving up maybe 3dB of overall sensitivity for LF extension. The limiting and LF lift eq algorithems may be dynamic however and when you push the box hard, the lift eq decreases, which will change the tonal profile of the system. Not really practical unless a powered box w/ internal DSP. Don't think this was Carvin's intent.

• Members

That's why I suggest verifying, I don't think it's possibel regardless of tuning options used UNLESS they throw a ton of DSP enhancement at it and then limit/HPF it back for protection. That would mean that you are giving up maybe 3dB of overall sensitivity for LF extension. The limiting and LF lift eq algorithems may be dynamic however and when you push the box hard, the lift eq decreases, which will change the tonal profile of the system. Not really practical unless a powered box w/ internal DSP. Don't think this was Carvin's intent.

Maybe Ron Wickersham and Ed Long are working for Carvin now! :)

• Members

This whole line array, flying speaker thing is starting to annoy me. The other day I was checking out a possible job at a new local conference center. At the meeting with the event organizer, he ask's "how are you going to fly your array"? This guy knows nothing about systems, yet thinks that you are only worth hiring if you run an array. I have a feeling this trend is not going to be good for small operators like myself.

• Members
I have a feeling this trend is not going to be good for small operators like myself.

Small line arrays seem to be a passing fad around here - at least for those jobs that don't need them. Ground stack is less expensive to buy and deploy (assuming it can do the job) and most work is more price conscious than it was even two years ago.

• Members

I got asked about flying speakers for a show, like it was something that just happened without a second thought. After explaining that the speakers I brought were not flyable, the added cost of bringing in equipment that was suitable for flying, the additional equipment needed to fly them (lifts or rigging), the structural approvals needed to rig two arrays in an unknown structure, the riggers to do the work, the additional hours needed to perform this work, the additional liability assumed by hang something like this over the general public, the purchaser started to get the idea that done correctly it wasn't something that was easy or cheap nor was it to be taken lightly. I'd be happy to make it happen, but there was more to it. We did a pair of delay speakers behind FOH and everybody was more than happy with the results. Apparently the previous year they had just thrown ropes over the beams and tied them to some eye hooks in their speakers.

• Members

Then one the other end, I have a friend that runs a small sound co. That mainly does church festivals and went out and bought two Genie lifts so he could fly is new used 725f's just cause it looked cool.

Archived