Peak Voltage limiter attack and release times

• Members

Just wondering if the default settings for my peak voltage limiters are adequate. It was recommended by crown that I use these default settings. JBL could not give me a straight answer.

Peak Voltage limiter: .010 sec attack, 1 second release

I am using these settings for the SRX 718, 715 and 712. Voltages range between 100v and 120v. 715 and 712 are running passive.

RMS limiter default settings are set at 4 second attack and 6 second release.

• Members

Close enough.

You can do a lot of damage with 4 seconds of attack, meaning that the peak limiter is what is the first line of defense and I would be inclined to set the RMS limiter no no more than the rated RMS level (I would probably use .75x for an installation that I was responsable for warranty) and the peak at no more that 1.5x the RMS rating converted to peak voltage. I would probably use something around 1 - 1.25x the RMS rating converted to peak voltage. I would also size the amps to this level as everything else is throwaway anyway.

• Members

I'd use something like 10 ms (you're showing 100 ms?) for attack and .5+ for release (you'd have to listen). Are you also using limiting for the average level? If I only had one limiter I'd be much more worried about the average level causing speaker damage. It also depends on whether or your amps have built-in limiting (which IS peak limiting)

• Members

My RMS limiters are set at a little more than half the rated RMS levels. The ITech can deliver lethal power to these speakers if not set up properly. Some of you may have seen a post of mine before about one of my techs toasting a pair of 718's. As it turned out the RMS limiters were mistakenly disabled during a bass heavy show. I do mostly light rock shows, instrumental and, Jazz music so whenever I do see limiting (very rare, but can happen when musicians get out of control and start clipping inputs) I assume it must be the peak limiters kicking in.

Thanks for the reply's Aged/Don.

• Members

I'd use something like 10 ms (you're showing 100 ms?) for attack and .5+ for release (you'd have to listen). Are you also using limiting for the average level? If I only had one limiter I'd be much more worried about the average level causing speaker damage. It also depends on whether or your amps have built-in limiting (which IS peak limiting)

.010s =10ms right?

Archived