One of my new subs was DOA

• Members

I just bought a pair of PRX618-XLFs and one was DOA. It powered up, showed signal, fed HF through crossover but had no LF sound.

It is getting harder to remain a JBL fanboy. The sub that works sounds great...

• Members

I just bought a pair of PRX618-XLFs and one was DOA. It powered up, showed signal, fed HF through crossover but had no LF sound.

It is getting harder to remain a JBL fanboy. The sub that works sounds great...

Damn. Was there any visible signs of damage to the box that the sub arrived in?

• Members

It powered up, showed signal, fed HF through crossover but had no LF sound.

I assume the amplifier module is removable for service....it wouldn't be unheard of for the connector to the internal speaker wires to vibrate loose during shipping.

• Members

You guys are scaring me. So far my PRX618S-XLF's have performed perfectly and sounded great; however, I am concerned that things may go wrong and when they do, I'll be out a sub for some time.

Fortunately, my drummer still has his set of CVA118's that we could fall back on if we needed to.

I am sad for JBL. They are in the process of ruining a really great reputation :(

• Members

No visible damage to the box but it was delivered via FedEx Ground. I honestly suspect a wire became loose during transit. Going to check that out today. The second sub sounded awesome so overall, if this is an easy fix, I am still happy with the purchase. We always test gear before paying gigs and this was just a slumber party for my partners 8th grade daughter. No one else even knew there was an issue since the single XLF handled the two PRX512s just fine. I'm not as pissed today but we will see how I feel after I check it out.

• Members

One of my XLf's was delivered to me with the same probem. The speaker wire was disconneted from the speaker. Went in side and re-connected the plug and it has been trouble free for over a year now. Definitely take a look inside! I heard from a dealer of similiar problems with the PRX line. I'm afraid the quality control in their Mexican factory may not be up to thier tradional standards.

• Members

The wire that connects to the amplifier should clip on, so there should be no way for that to come off in shipping. The speaker wire would be my guess since it's passing signal to the tops.

If not, make sure you contact the person you bought it from, not JBL. I'm still minus one sub and it's been almost a month and a half now.

• Members

The wire that connects to the amplifier should clip on, so there should be no way for that to come off in shipping. The speaker wire would be my guess since it's passing signal to the tops.

If not, make sure you contact the person you bought it from, not JBL. I'm still minus one sub and it's been almost a month and a half now.

Right, the speaker wire has a clip that connects to the speaker. On my cabinet it was not connected. I'm guessing it left the factory that way.

• Members

I'm sorry that you have a brand-new but unworking 618xlf. Your note got me motivated to go out and fire up my new pair of 618xlf's and another pair of powered speakers that have shown up in the past couple of weeks. I'm thankful that all worked as expected. The M-Audio GSR 12's certainly are not PRX 612's, but at the close-out price of $150 plus shipping they are adequate and cost effective for non-critical uses. I hope you find a quick and easy fix for your DOA speaker. Mark C.

• Members

I'm sorry that you have a brand-new but unworking 618xlf. Your note got me motivated to go out and fire up my new pair of 618xlf's and another pair of powered speakers that have shown up in the past couple of weeks. I'm thankful that all worked as expected. The M-Audio GSR 12's certainly are not PRX 612's, but at the close-out price of $150 plus shipping they are adequate and cost effective for non-critical uses. I hope you find a quick and easy fix for your DOA speaker. Mark C.

Where can you find them for $150 and shipping?

Dookietwo

• Members

Dookietwo

PSSL had them on clearance pricing a few weeks ago. PSSL must have had a container-load of them. They are all gone now, as you can imagine. I found out about them here at HC. Mark C.

• Members

Dookietwo

As others have mentioned, PSSL. I got 6 of them (GSR12's) for use as floor wedges for my Bluegrass Festies. For my use, they're fine. I RTA'ed em out for both monitor and full range use in case I ever need to use em for delay towers or something like that, and with a little correction, they clean up pretty nicely, and sound pretty decent. I have a baseline EQ stored as a start point which gets them reasonably close to flat. I seldom need more than 5 monitor mixes (usually it's 4) so I have a spare or two if one goes south during a show.

For $150, they're way better than anything else at the price point, and are even a pretty good cab at the normal $300 price. At $150 it was a no brainer.

PSSL is a big Avid dealer, and Avid arranged this deal with them for these. The guy at PSSL said they got 5 semi loads of them, sold those out, and ordered all the spare stock avid had, and as of a week or so ago, they were almost out of them, so you probably missed out.

• Members

One of my XLf's was delivered to me with the same probem. The speaker wire was disconneted from the speaker. Went in side and re-connected the plug and it has been trouble free for over a year now. Definitely take a look inside! I heard from a dealer of similiar problems with the PRX line. I'm afraid the quality control in their Mexican factory may not be up to thier tradional standards.

When I got mine recently I dissected them. The amp modules are actually made in China, however, the build quality looks quite good. I'm guessing you probably just have a speaker lead that came off in shipping. I've had these delivered by LTL Truck on a skid, and from Fed EX. FedEx beat the box up a fair bit, and that would probably be why your lead came loose if that is indeed the case.

Just a thought, while Zero has been through hell with his, that's really the ONLY one I've read about here that has actually really failed, and while he's been through hell with getting it fixed, I'd think that's the exception rather than the rule. I'd still take JBL over Mackie, Peavey or anything Ringer any day of the week.

• Members

When I got mine recently I dissected them. The amp modules are actually made in China, however, the build quality looks quite good. I'm guessing you probably just have a speaker lead that came off in shipping. I've had these delivered by LTL Truck on a skid, and from Fed EX. FedEx beat the box up a fair bit, and that would probably be why your lead came loose if that is indeed the case.

Just a thought, while Zero has been through hell with his, that's really the ONLY one I've read about here that has actually really failed, and while he's been through hell with getting it fixed, I'd think that's the exception rather than the rule. I'd still take JBL over Mackie, Peavey or anything Ringer any day of the week.

I'm not sure of the relevance of where the amp module is made. The speaker is connected at the factory in Mexico, and one of my XLF speakers wasn't connected when I recieved it from the factory. I offered that as a possible solution to the O.P. I seriously doubt that it came disconnected during shipping. I have been hauling four of them around for over a year and no speakers have become dissconnected. Actually, with over 30 years in this buisness, I can't remember a speaker wire ever becoming disconnected during transport! I think any impact or shock that would cause a properly installed speaker connector to come off would certainly cause other visable damage.

I do agree with you about the overall qualility of JBL. I have not lost faith in them YET!

• Members

I still haven't had the chance to check out the sub but Sweetwater is ready to send me a new one as soon as I determine it isn't a simple connection. I should get a chance to look at it tonight.

Archived