Mic for Lo-Fi vocals?

• Members

What would y'all suggest for a grungy, distorted, lo-fi vocal mic for live use?

I only sing backups, and would like to have something a little different than the usual verbed out smooth backups I normally hear.

A lot of what I see is meant to be handheld, and some even need to have a button depressed to turn on the mic. I need something I can have on a stand and be ready to go since I'll have my hands busy on my bass.

What do you guys think?:wave:

• Members

Wait. You want recommendations for a POS vocal mic? Go to a pawn shop/second hand store and buy the cheapest thing you can find. Radio Shack ("Realistic"), NADY, and no-name mics probably meet your specs. My guess is that you probably don't really want the absolute "bottom of the barrel" mic, but I may be wrong. Mark C.

• Members

If youre just looking for a "crappy" vocal sound (telephone sounding or similar), the mic doesn't matter a whole lot. Use eq - huge cut to the lows ~400, kill the highs beyond 1k or so and sweep what's left to find the sweet (or not so sweet depending on how you look at it) spot and leave it boosted by a couple of dbs.

• Members

The sound isn't the problem, it is the fact that they spring it on you without warning well after soundcheck, somewhere mid-set, and you realize the monitors are NOT going to like this sound. and the clip lights come on, and you wonder why you like doing this work.....

• Members

"If youre just looking for a "crappy" vocal sound (telephone sounding or similar), the mic doesn't matter a whole lot. Use eq - huge cut to the lows ~400, kill the highs beyond 1k or so and sweep what's left to find the sweet (or not so sweet depending on how you look at it) spot and leave it boosted by a couple of dbs."

This...

normal "good" mic + no lows and highs. Plus probably a lot of verb/delay. Plus maybe some kind of distortion or other.

Normally I wouldn't suggest it as they seem clunky for making things sound "better"..... but since that's not what you're trying to do you might look at one of the foot pedal vocal processors.

In any case, make sure you're working with the sound guy and not against.

• Members

The sound isn't the problem, it is the fact that they spring it on you without warning well after soundcheck, somewhere mid-set, and you realize the monitors are NOT going to like this sound. and the clip lights come on, and you wonder why you like doing this work.....

Well if they have it set reasonably, it shouldn't be any peakier than their normal vocal. In fact, it should be significantly more compressed.

But I agree, nothing should be "sprung", but often is.

• Members

I realized once I posted that I'd probably be better off with some kinda effects unit. I was just hoping to get something that wouldn't require a power source or extra cables.

Thanks guys!

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Nah, to heck with the effects unit.

I just got a Wasaphone I off eBay and it is really great. They're built using particular vintage telephone receivers and make anything you put through 'em sound gritty and warm. Super for live/studio. Really cheap too. Have a look at the demo:

• CMS Author
I realized once I posted that I'd probably be better off with some kinda effects unit. I was just hoping to get something that wouldn't require a power source or extra cables.

Thanks guys!

You don't need any extra effects in order to do this. Use the mixer's channel EQ and gain. Overdrive the channel to get some edge, and drop the HF and LF EQ to get the poor response curve.

Archived