Galaxy in ear monitors ???? question

• Members

I have been looking at getting in ear monitors. Like everyone else, I am on a limited budget. I had just about made up my mind to go with the Shure psm200 when I came across a good deal on a set of Galaxy as1000t with 4 recievers. It is a really good deal. What are some opinions on this system. I understand that it is entry level, but that is what I will have to go with for now. What are some thoughts and suggestions on this system ?

thanks

• Members

We use the Galaxy as1100 and they are great. You will have to get decent ear buds, theirs are junk. Check on a price for the 1100's. They are one version newer. I have not heard anything negative about them. I am always for the underdog!

• Members

We never had any problems with our AS1000 systems; I'd still use them if I didn't switch to electronic drums (my drum module allows me to feed in a monitor input from the board, and it's always close enough that a wireless system isn't a necessity).

• Members

You are within striking distance on the Audio Technica M2 IEMs also. Worth a good look. I have used M3s for a number of years and have no complaints. In fact, they are not a lot more if you shop carefully, in the 5 something range. IEMs are one place you really don't want to skimp if possible. If you buy something less than ideal, you will find you don't want to use them and waste the money. I am not advocating you buy top of the line by any means, but there is a certain threshold of quality you have to hit or you won't keep using it. I have not heard of anything wrong with the Galaxy beyond buds, but there are a number of units in your price range (+/-) and I would look at them ALL before buying anything.

One thing that stands out in the way of advice I was given: If you buy cheap you will hate yourself every time you use the gear. Many people look back and regret they didn't buy better gear, few look back and wish they had bought worse gear.

Good luck with your purchase. Once you get used to IEMs (and not everyone does/can) there is no going back to wedges.

• Members

You are within striking distance on the Audio Technica M2 IEMs also. Worth a good look. I have used M3s for a number of years and have no complaints. In fact, they are not a lot more if you shop carefully, in the 5 something range. IEMs are one place you really don't want to skimp if possible. If you buy something less than ideal, you will find you don't want to use them and waste the money. I am not advocating you buy top of the line by any means, but there is a certain threshold of quality you have to hit or you won't keep using it. I have not heard of anything wrong with the Galaxy beyond buds, but there are a number of units in your price range (+/-) and I would look at them ALL before buying anything.

One thing that stands out in the way of advice I was given: If you buy cheap you will hate yourself every time you use the gear. Many people look back and regret they didn't buy better gear, few look back and wish they had bought worse gear.

Good luck with your purchase. Once you get used to IEMs (and not everyone does/can) there is no going back to wedges.

Axis, help me understand something on the sound engineer aspect. If I were to switch to IEMs and a wireless system. I can run a monitor feed from my board to my wireless system like i would to a monitor. I guess my question is, do i need a seperate amp channel to pump to the wireless system for the ears? Does that make any sense?

Thanks,

• Members

Yes, it makes sense. With an IEM, no amplifier is required. Your aux out from the board goes into the input of the transmitter which broadcasts it to your belt pack. One of the4 benefits of a band going IEM all around is no monitor amps, less racks, less power draw, and between the loss of amps, racks, and wedges, you lose a lot of weight for transport to/from the show. Not to mention you can hear better and won't get feedback.

• Members

That's what I was wondering. We have two Aux sends on our board but mainly on use one. i was thinking of possibly getting they galaxy system and a set of Westone UM1 IEM to see how I like IEMs. I know the old addage about good aint cheap. But i would really hate to dump a grand into IEMs and not like them.

On that note, has anyone used the Westone UM1? What is the board using for phones?

• Members

Yes, it makes sense. With an IEM, no amplifier is required. Your aux out from the board goes into the input of the transmitter which broadcasts it to your belt pack. One of the4 benefits of a band going IEM all around is no monitor amps, less racks, less power draw, and between the loss of amps, racks, and wedges, you lose a lot of weight for transport to/from the show. Not to mention you can hear better and won't get feedback.

In addition to the benefits mentioned, the amount of cubic volume to transport goes down. On the other hand, you increase the potential for RF issues at the venue as you add channels of wireless transmission. Mark C.

• Members

That's what I was wondering. We have two Aux sends on our board but mainly on use one. i was thinking of possibly getting they galaxy system and a set of Westone UM1 IEM to see how I like IEMs. I know the old addage about good aint cheap. But i would really hate to dump a grand into IEMs and not like them.

On that note, has anyone used the Westone UM1? What is the board using for phones?

Although I haven't been playing much for the last year or so, I have a pair of UM-1's with custom molds that I am very happy with. Very good bass extension, especially with molds.

Archived