Setting up Yorkville EF508 or EF500P by yourself with no help - how I do it.

• Members

[video=youtube;pPssw2mKlpM]

This subject has come up from time to time - most recently in another thread from the last few days, so I had the security guy of the club I set up in last night record me setting one up. This was done in one take with no editing or rehearsal :D

This is not to encourage everyone to go out and buy heavy top cabs or anything. It's more of a demonstration of how to move them around without too much difficulty if that's what you choose to buy (or already have), and if you modify them somewhat. I'm transporting and setting these things up two to three times a week currently.

• Members

Not gonna lie... that looked like a pain in the ass from start to finish. My back started hurting when I watched the struggle to get it out of the car and drop it onto the ground! But then... I'm old. Or at least I'm trying not to feel older than I really am, any sooner than I need to.

Interesting idea with the wheels under the tops; I'd be inclined to just use two wheels on the back, fixed instead of rotating, and mount a luggage-style handle to the things so you can tilt them back and wheel them in instead of having to bend down the whole time and drag them by a handle.

• Members

This subject has come up from time to time - most recently in another thread from the last few days, so I had the security guy of the club I set up in last night record me setting one up. This was done in one take with no editing or rehearsal
:D

This is not to encourage everyone to go out and buy heavy top cabs or anything. It's more of a demonstration of how to move them around without too much difficulty if that's what you choose to buy (or already have), and if you modify them somewhat. I'm transporting and setting these things up two to three times a week currently.

mrcpro,,,, that was a GREAT video,,, and thank you very much for posting that. Certainly looks a lot easier than I had imagined.

• Members

I'd be inclined to just use two wheels on the back, fixed instead of rotating, and mount a luggage-style handle to the things so you can tilt them back and wheel them in instead of having to bend down the whole time and drag them by a handle.

You might just as well use a handcart then. This way I can lift them over rises and obstacles (which somehow always seem to be blocking my way to the stage ;) ) without breaking my stride.

This really isn't a back breaking exercise at all. And honestly - I'm not sure how anyone can be a sound provider if they can't easily lift 80 pounds. Even the lightest of subs weigh that.

• Members

I'm looking @ 2 subs, why not pole mount them?

Because that's something I can't do by myself ;) and they're on the stage in this venue for coverage reasons. You can glimpse the bar as I enter the club. It's very close.

• Members

This really isn't a back breaking exercise at all. And honestly - I'm not sure how anyone can be a sound provider if they can't easily lift 80 pounds. Even the lightest of subs weigh that.

By choosing equipment that does not require an 80 pound lift. There are some very viable options out there.

• Members

By choosing equipment that does not require an 80 pound lift. There are some very viable options out there.

You can probably lift the PRX612s with three fingers; my girlfriend can lift them onto speaker poles or stands without much effort. As long as she remembers the fan to point at the back of them. ;)

My first show with my 635s is this coming Saturday, it'll be the deciding factor of whether I keep them (they are worth the effort of lifting ~20 pounds more each) or sell them (don't see a big difference between them and the 612s). Fortunately the 635s are tall enough that we won't need to lift the poles they're sitting on, they should just sit right on them and be an appropriate height.

• Members

Well of course you guys are right, and believe me I'm not trying to convince anyone that this is the way to go.

The point of the video was to have a little fun, and to demonstrate that it is possible to erect Yorkville EF508s/Ef500Ps by yourself without much effort... if you're comfortable lifting 80 pounds (I'll put a small qualifier in there).

• Members

One part of the video that may have been over looked but needs to be brought up.

Notice how he gently lifted the speakers out? Carefully rolled them over the different surfaces. Carefully and slowly set them down on their backs?

Naw, he slammed them suckers down. Rolled them over uneven surfaces bouncing all the way. Slammed them down on their backs. Lifted them up on the tripods ( this is how I get mine on my tripods ) and rocked them into place.

I'm not as ruff on my speakers but at the same time that is the build quality they have. The horn driver is inside a wooden hole to make sure it doesn't move or break off the horn lense. Woofers baffle board solid and I believe double thick. More money and weight sure. But worth it to me.

To be sure there are other well constructed speakers out there. But there are some very bad ones as well. I remember a few years ago a friend purchased some low cost speakers. When they arrived both horn drivers had snapped off inside.

Nice real world video!

Dookietwo

• Members

The stands have to be durable to do that on a regular basis. I know of a school that set up their speakers that way for a year or so and wound up stressing them until they broke. But it does work in a pinch. Personally I use light/medium duty crank stands if I'm using my U15's. Or as someone else suggested, I do it by loading from the stage or a sub woofer - basically two steps to the lift.

BTW if I caught someone handling my speakers that way, we would have words :) But as noted, probably couldn't treat a Behringer that way.

• Members

You might just as well use a handcart then. This way I can lift them over rises and obstacles (which somehow always seem to be blocking my way to the stage
;)
) without breaking my stride.

I can lift 80 pounds... but if i was doing it regularly i'd have given this away by now and i'm only 30. All the talk about these yorkvilles makes me wish i could rent a pair here to try them out!

Archived