Are modern DJ's the demise of Live Bands

• Members

Just curious as to what you all think, I have not see a live band at a wedding in over 5 years. I do think DJ's have undercut the market so much that the demand for live bands has reduced substantially, however I do not have the data to back it up. Thoughts?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In most cases I'd agree. Can play most any request, probably not gonna have a "off" night, easier to control volume, maybe cheaper (fewer members), Doesn't need a stage, smaller footprint. Lot's of positives about a DJ for a wedding. Except----------------it's a DJ.

• CMS Author

Just curious as to what you all think, I have not see a live band at a wedding in over 5 years. I do think DJ's have undercut the market so much that the demand for live bands has reduced substantially, however I do not have the data to back it up. Thoughts?

This is about par with what I've seen for the past 20 years. Not just weddings...pretty much any affair where the music is not the primary reason for people to show up will more often have a DJ around here. When I've had a chance to ask the decision makers, they most often cite convenience ("the DJ takes up far less space and less time to setup/teardown") and song selection ("the DJ can play *anything* requested"). Other reasons were price, and reliability (one band member no-shows and the event is in trouble).

• Members

The past two weddings we've done as DJ gigs have taken it to another level, too -- the bride basically gave us a list of songs she wanted, in order, with times for each event, and said there was to be no deviation from that list. She knew what she wanted and she made it work, she obviously put a lot of thought into it, but it also meant that we could not make any attempts to read the crowd and if a song tanked, we played it through, just like she said. Because in the end she's the one we need to make happy.

DJ music does not have to be "lifeless and stale". It's the big thing right now. You don't see any big clubs in Vegas or NYC with live music and a line wrapped around the door anymore... you see DJs in this position. I actually think right now many of the bigger DJs are being as creative or more creative than most of the bands out there. They're making use of technology, putting more into their lighting and sound rigs, and commanding crowds. They're doing something new, as opposed to 95% of the bands out there, who are still playing the same tired songs with two light trees pointed at them, drums that are too loud for the room, half stacks, etc, etc...

• Members

We must be lucky here. We do wedding all through the summer most well paid high end venues, people with a good budget still like a band we also provide my music between sets so everybody is happy.

• Members

I know that it's a different end of the wedding spectrum, but my wife plays weddings (about 1-3 a month).

She is a violinist who can put together duos and quartets, which is way different than a band for the after-party.

But she generally gets more for walking in with her instrument and playing 10 songs than I have gotten in some bands where we have to bring the entire PA and play for 3 or 4 hours. It's a nice bit of additional business for her, but it still wouldn't pay the rent...

Based on her reports, I think that it's like most things: it would be tough to fill your schedule with events that really have the budget to make it worth doing (especially starting out), but there are good gigs if you're really good at what you do and you can afford to turn down bad gigs.

• Members

This is about par with what I've seen for the past 20 years. Not just weddings...pretty much any affair where the music is not the primary reason for people to show up will more often have a DJ around here. When I've had a chance to ask the decision makers, they most often cite convenience ("the DJ takes up far less space and less time to setup/teardown") and song selection ("the DJ can play *anything* requested"). Other reasons were price, and reliability (one band member no-shows and the event is in trouble).

Those reasons pretty much sum it up. We are booked solid May - November with weddings and are one of the most booked wedding bands in the state. That said we have maybe one wedding the other 5 months of the year. There are less people getting married in those months but still there are probably still thousands of weddings.

• Members

I'm in that other end of the market like scarecrowbob's wife. We have a duo or trio (depending on budget) that plays acoustic "Lite Celtic" music for receptions, and we're also usually involved in the ceremony playing live music for the processional and recessional. We don't do the dance party, that's almost always a DJ. Hiring us probably ensures a DJ and closes out a live band, because we're taking the "live" slot at the gig.

On the DJ thing... I wonder if one reason for the popularity of this approach is just the way pop music has changed over the years? People in their 20's getting married, and all their friends, don't necessarily want a classic rock cover band. A DJ can do all the current electro-pop stuff, and still get the dance floor moving for the older folks. It's hard to cover the wide range of modern pop with a traditional 4-piece band, and I admire those who can pull it off.

• Members

I may catch some hassling but I think reasons listed by Craig are valid. I've worked with wedding DJs and bands. The band plays fewer songs for a higher price, take up more space and take longer setting up (not that the setting up part has any effect on the wedding). That wedding band does well for themselves, though, and are booked all summer. They're even talking about hiring me for sound after making a duplicateish band because they have more potential gigs than they can handle @ 3-4K$ range. And other bands I know of still fill their schedule... maybe that's just 'cause they're good?

I find there's a big difference between a real disc jockey and a lap top "DJ", too. I've actually heard the laptop DJs talk about how they want to automate their set so they can pull off stage antics... :facepalm: (mind you, not a wedding) It got super easy to "DJ" so now everyone is doing it. It's way harder to be a good band than "play" "good" "music" "DJ style". Club owners hardly care, if they can pump the crowd with enough booze would anyone really notice?? All they see is how much they will need to pay the DJ (and even more so: how much more money good bands expect). It's like a game of golf -- And a lot of club owners are PGA status.

I still see plenty of success though at all angles.... Demise? Hardly.

• Members

The past two weddings we've done as DJ gigs have taken it to another level, too -- the bride basically gave us a list of songs she wanted, in order, with times for each event, and said there was to be no deviation from that list. She knew what she wanted and she made it work, she obviously put a lot of thought into it, but it also meant that we could not make any attempts to read the crowd and if a song tanked, we played it through, just like she said. Because in the end she's the one we need to make happy.

Wow! Maybe someone should let the poor groom know what he's in for...

• Members

I take a similar, but slightly altered view of the situation.

People's listening standards and preferences have changed... and most wedding bands are either

a) incapable of playing modern pop music that's playable by bands... IE; old guys in their 50s, trying to play Lady Gaga / Maroon 5 just isnt right. There's a missing 'x factor' of emotion etc, that goes into it.

b) most popular music listened to by the 20s-30s crowd isn't playable by a band. wayyy too electronic.

c) business-wise, the wedding bands haven't adapted / aren't adaptable to the changing market conditions.

That said, we are a pretty successful wedding band in New England.... We've looked at the current scene and have adapted/marketed ourselves as the "next generation" of wedding band. We have a DJ that performs WITH the band during our sets, and spins when we take our set break. That way, the client receives the best of both worlds. The element of class and energy that a live band brings to a wedding, with the ultimate flexibility that a DJ brings.

If you can't beat 'em... merge with 'em. ;)

• Members

I wouldn't say the complete demise of live bands, but for weddings, sure. It just makes sense. One person to deal with, usually they hide in a corner, 2 speakers on sticks, no volume issues and the client gets exactly what they want. They also usually MC the event. It's sold as a wedding package.

In my experience, live cover bands are left to playing bars.

• Members

I wouldn't say the complete demise of live bands, but for weddings, sure. It just makes sense. One person to deal with, usually they hide in a corner, 2 speakers on sticks, no volume issues and the client gets exactly what they want. They also usually MC the event. It's sold as a wedding package.

In my experience, live cover bands are left to playing bars.

MOST cover bands are left to playing bars. There is a client base, you just have to deliver what they want and do it well. MOST cover bands can't or don't want to do what it takes to go beyond the strip mall bar scene. We do plenty of those gigs too, but we understand we're just selling booze and these gigs are at the bottom of the food chain. I can probably count on one hand the number of bands in the state that consistently do well playing big bars and even then, my band is making more "per person".

You have to have the personnel to pull off wedding. They have to be responsible, straight laced, egos at the door, and put FOH sound above all else. You also have to have the right business model. We've found a niche that allows us to be price competitive and give the client what they want. We do what we do well, but we're not for everyone. I've turned down many a gig because I either felt we weren't a good fit, or simply wasn't willing to change what to do to accommodate the client. When every weekend is a wedding you can't take on a bunch of curve balls and expect to be successful.

• Members

DJ's are not the demise of live entertainment for weddings. There's still a place for both.

If the bride and groom are young, they are most likely going to prefer a DJ over a band. It's really not a money thing at all.

If the couple is over 30 or if it's a second marriage, the preference is generally a band.

If the couple likes country music, the preference is usually a band no matter what their ages are.

If the wealthy father of the bride wants to put on an event everyone talks about for the rest of the year ;) there's going to be both.

Just my perspective as both a DJ and keyboard player.

• Members

Over the last few years every big wedding seems to generate more weddings. Some venues have us on a recomended list. We get as many people to leave us feedback on our website this seems a good way to promote and advertise the proffesional service we supply.

• Members

Over the last few years every big wedding seems to generate more weddings. Some venues have us on a recomended list. We get as many people to leave us feedback on our website this seems a good way to promote and advertise the proffesional service we supply.

Agreed... good comments from the clients of past events makes a huge difference. I turn down about 30 weddings a year and that's with every gig clearly posted on our website. Who knows how many people actually take the time to look at our booked dates, see we aren't available, and move on.

Also something interesting.... After not sending out a "promo pack" at least 2 years, I don't even have them anymore. We have some YouTube videos from past events and all of our audio is from live performances as well. If asked I tell the prospect anyone can spend money for a nice video done in a controlled environment. We show you the actual event itself and all of our audio is right off the mixer... no overdubs or redos.

• Members

Agreed. I turn down about 30 weddings a year and that's with every gig clearly posted on our website. Who knows how many people actually take the time to look at our booked dates, see we aren't available, and move on.

May I ask why you turn them down? Finance reasons or preference or just because you are booked?

• Members

DJ's are not the demise of live entertainment for weddings. There's still a place for both.

If the bride and groom are young, they are most likely going to prefer a DJ over a band. It's really not a money thing at all.

If the couple is over 30 or if it's a second marriage, the preference is generally a band.

If the couple likes country music, the preference is usually a band no matter what their ages are.

If the wealthy father of the bride wants to put on an event everyone talks about for the rest of the year
;)
there's going to be both.

Just my perspective as both a DJ and keyboard player.

I don't agree with this at all. I believe for the most part it is absolutely a money thing. In almost all cases of not being hired, if I find out what happened it was the money and they ended up with a DJ or sometimes a "friends band" or some other low rent entertainment option. It happened twice this past week actually.

Over 90% of our wedding clients are in their 20's and we are as old a band as you'll find (I'm the youngest at 43, then it's 44, 46, 53, and 59).

• Members

May I ask why you turn them down? Finance reasons or preference or just because you are booked?

Sorry I wasn't clear... because they are asking about dates we are already booked on. For open dates I'd guess 4-5 times a year I turn down or we come to a mutual decision we aren't a good fit. This comes after a discussion on the phone that just has too many non standard requests such as learning obscure songs, playing during the ceremony or cocktail hour, lack of a female vocalist. Where possible I'll refer them to another band that may fit their needs better. Probably 20 times a year at least I'll turn down gigs due to their budget. I'm amazed at the number of people that think it's reasonable to hire a band for $1000 or less and they want us to drive an hour or more and spend an average of 9 hours on site then divide that by 5 people and expenses.

• Members

"Also something interesting.... After not sending out a "promo pack" at least 2 years, I don't even have them anymore. We have some YouTube videos from past events and all of our audio is from live performances as well. If asked I tell the prospect anyone can spend money for a nice video done in a controlled environment. We show you the actual event itself and all of our audio is right off the mixer... no overdubs or redos."

I dunno if you'd agree, but almost all of my wife's business comes from direct referrals from both previous clients and wedding/event planners, hence no real need for much of a media kit.

Which might be a useful here: when you are marketing an event-based product, marketing to planners and venues seems like a better use of time than marketing to end-user clients (i.e. brides who will use your service once).

• Members

I've done a few wedddings and functions in the last few years that were for people in their late 20's/30's. This was with a large 11 piece band, and because it was essentially a novelty, show, and spectacle, the "kids" loved it. During the breaks we would always play some modern stuff (that no one would really dance to) but all and all the band worked very well. But that band was a far cry from the average 4 piece band doing Brown Eyed Girl.

And to add to other's sentiments.... during the nineties my Top 40 band was playing more and more electronic songs. Songs that were created and recorded with computers. Our keyboard player had over $30,000 of gear. I (as the guitar player) had over $4000 of keyboard gear, and played that about 40% of the time. The bass player was playing bass keyboards about 30 to 40% of the time as well. And the drummer had a drum machine and a sequencer on hand. I could see the writing on the wall. Pretty soon there would be no need or use to have a live band in the dance clubs, because little of the Top 40 music would have been created by live musicians - or musicians playing live.

These days you've got to give them something the DJ can't, otherwise you won't get the gig - and even then, budget and the desire for current Top 40 might be the deciding factor. But that's business. After all, amplifiers allowed orchestras to morph into "combos". Technology giveth and taketh away, all at the same time.

• Members

We've tailored our set list to work for bars and weddings. You always hear on forums about bands playing those old tired songs....well they are played for a reason. Bud Light ain't a very good beer but they sell a ton of it! We play what sells. So Brown Eyed Girl, Play That Funky Music, and Sweet Caroline are on the list an you know what? the 20 somethings dance the hell out of those songs. So, while we have artists like Tiao Cruz, Black Eyed Peas, Adele, Jason Mraz, Cee Lo Green and Daughtry on the list we also have Bob Seger, Kool & The Gang and Skynyrd on there too. We are a straight up sell out cover band and make no apologies.

One of our best compliments is below. Being able to satisfy 3 generations isn't an easy task.

"Hello and thank you soooooooo much! You guys did a great job and I got alot of comments on how well you guys did.... Also, our parents and grandparents loved you guys which made me especially happy."

Archived