CLASS AB vs Class D Power amp

• Members

Thx Andy. I think you are the most qualified person here to talk about Power amp.

As you have mentioned before...it is all about compromise. Is there any disadvantage(s) Class D amps have over Class AB?

I would assume that a Class AB gives a more stable output?

• Members

Disadvantages of class D include complexity and the potential (if not designed well) for reduced reliability. They are also very difficult to repair, especially when coupled with a switchmode power supply.

If a class D amp is very well designed, it's just as good as any class AB amp except for the weight and AC power consumption. In very big amps, this is the way of the future.

• Members

Disadvantages of class D include complexity and the potential (if not designed well) for reduced reliability. They are also very difficult to repair, especially when coupled with a switchmode power supply.

If a class D amp is very well designed, it's just as good as any class AB amp except for the weight and AC power consumption. In very big amps, this is the way of the future.

I see. Which class D amps are well designed...in your opinion?

• Members

I believe that both the JBL PRX and the QSC K and KW speakers have class D amps. Andy, would you consider them well designed?

Yes, as are those in the PL-380, the IPR's (though without as much thermal headroom as I would use) Crown I-Tech, and IcePower. I'm sure there are others but I don't have a lot of experience with those out of Europe.

• Members

Yes, as are those in the PL-380, the IPR's (though without as much thermal headroom as I would use) Crown I-Tech, and IcePower. I'm sure there are others but I don't have a lot of experience with those out of Europe.

Thanks, man! Off topic as it is, I just have to say that you are one of the most helpful people I have encountered in all my years going on message boards, and just so you know, that's saying something. Because while I am not going to advertise the site here, I am a supermoderator on a HUGE tech/gaming site that I have been frequenting for about as long as you have been here. lol If you Google my name you will see a ton of stuff from that site. :lol:

Seriously, man, I know that in forums people love to argue and usually only post when they disagree with someone, but in all the threads I have been asking questions in, some of which I created, you have been just an unbelievable help and an absolute wealth of information which you always give tactfully. So I really just wanted to say THANK YOU!

• Members

You are most welcome.

For some of us older guys here, this industry has been very good to us and when we can, we try to give back because (believe it or not) we do remember how hard it was to get good, accurate information. When I am at shows as a system engineer or production manager/TD, I often have time to be on line while I keep my eye on the show, waiting around. Sometimes, I have a lot of CAD plots to render out and there's a minute here and there that's otherwise not productive.

Sure there are those who like to argue and who think they know (a lot) more than they really do. Sometimes they come around and "get it", sometimes they don't. Those that do get a lot of good info. from those here. I also want to thank Craig for doing a great job moderating this particular forum. It makes a freekin' huge difference in the civility here. There's a difference between old sound guy "character" and being an asshole. Sometimes it takes being in the business a while to know for sure, but rarely are we just unprovoked assholes. You have to remember that some of us have worked together out there and are in this as a profession-career. We may not have 21's century tact and PC, but we are for the most part pretty darn good guys IMO.

• Members

I see. Which class D amps are well designed...in your opinion?

I think you have to qualify the question a bit. In other words a lower cost amp may well be better designed for the job it is intended for (say a consumer application) than a very expensive amp for mission critical professional use.

• Members

I think you have to qualify the question a bit. In other words a lower cost amp may well be better designed for the job it is intended for (say a consumer application) than a very expensive amp for mission critical professional use.

ok Dboomer, you got a point.

What low budget Class D Power amp is well designed? I do know lower end gear will not be as good as high end (of course!)..but I am more interested to know about low end Class D power amps as I cant afford high end ones.

• Members

The question is still very general ... so the simple answer is ... almost any one where the user does not try to use it beyond its capabilities.

Every amp (and every other piece of sound gear) has it's limitations. Nothing at any price is perfect, so if you operate gear within it's limitations and allow yourself some margin of safety, you should be fine with just about any major brand.

Now if the question were much more specific, then so too could be the answer. For example if you were interested in which amp handles a low impedance load, or a highly reactive load, or input power fluctuation, or ambient temperature or ??? But most everyone needs a combination of these factors.

• Members

The question is still very general ... so the simple answer is ... almost any one where the user does not try to use it beyond its capabilities

It also bears mentioning that "well designed" is absolutely the smallest labor in the process of providing a reliable, well-supported product.

• Members

Andy-------since we're on the subject of class D, isn't there also an issue (potential) when used with a MSW inverter?

Any amp has the potential for issues depending on the way the power supply is designed and the peak output voltage of the MSW.

• Members

Another thanks to Andy,D Boomer and others for taking time to help. When I started doing sound/playing in bands there was no internet and only a few local guys that I could ask for advice. Back then I actually learned alot about sound from Peavey Monitor magazines. It is alot easier now with the internet.

• Members

Have to agree.This is really the most helpful experience I have had by posting/lurking here.I've got total respect for just about everyone that posts here.There is usually something to be learned everyday,so Thanx to all!!!

+1

Archived