I think I need a DI box...recommend one please!

• Members

I'm adding a small synth (Roland Juno DI) to my rig for live use. Having never hooked up keys before, I'm wondering if I need a DI box??

I think I do because I just have an unbalanced "mono" out. I would like to adapt that into an xlr so that it can go into our board or into the snake at venues where the system is supplied. I have NO IDEA what to look for in a DI box...I've never even used one.

What should I be looking for, and any recommendations on what to get? Looking for something solid for road use, small enough to mount on my guitar pedal board, and maybe not top of the line (I see them from $30 to $200) but solid quality.

• Members

Can't go wrong with this..
http://www.audiopile.net/products/DI_Boxes/FDB-101/FDB-101_cutsheet.shtml

Good enough. I'll pick one up! Nice price too! :thu:

I'm sure our sound guy will tell me if I need to do anything different hooking it up...but I assume it's just mono out of the board, into the box, and xlr out from there? Should the attenuation switch generally be left at 0 for keyboards or is it usually necessary to lower the signal?

• Members

Good enough. I'll pick one up! Nice price too!
:thu:

I'm sure our sound guy will tell me if I need to do anything different hooking it up...but I assume it's just mono out of the board, into the box, and xlr out from there? Should the attenuation switch generally be left at 0 for keyboards or is it usually necessary to lower the signal?

My Keyboardist usually leaves it at 0.

• Members

Countryman type 85 or Radial

I have a Countryman Type 85, as well as one of these;

http://www.audiopile.net/products/DI_Boxes/LDB-101/LDB-101_cutsheet.shtml

And one of these;

http://www.audiopile.net/products/DI_Boxes/LDB-202/LDB-202_cutsheet.shtml

For live, bar band work, I can't justify the cost of the Countryman. In a studio or on an "A" level tour, maybe, but I'd rather use my Avalon U5 in that case.

• Members

I have a Countryman Type 85, as well as one of these;

And one of these;

For live, bar band work, I can't justify the cost of the Countryman. In a studio or on an "A" level tour, maybe, but I'd rather use my Avalon U5 in that case.

True, but when you consider how much $$$$$$$ is usually invested in everything else, even a better quality DI is a pretty small investment.

• Members

True, but when you consider how much $$$$$$$ is usually invested in everything else, even a better quality DI is a pretty small investment.

Even with more than $100 difference, I think you'll find that the EWI DI's are well thought of around these parts. I've used the Countryman and the EWI"s on bass, keys, and electronic drum modules in a live setting and I can't hear a difference. I just think that that $100 is better invested somewhere else, where it will make a difference.

• Members

Hint, for this application, the Countryman is a worse choice because of increased noise.

• Members

A DI is nothing more than a balancing transformer with 1/4" ins and XLR outs in a protective shell... I've never really understood why people are willing to spend so much money on them (assuming you're not looking for something with on-board eq/etc.) That having been said, I do own Countryman and Radial DI's simply because they're more "rider friendly," but I use EWI's unless I'm asked for something different.

• Members

There can be a difference in the quality of the transformers. I like Whirlwind.

Whirlwind uses 3 different transformers for there DIs plus Lundahl and Jensen 5 total depending on the model.

• Members

There can be a difference in the quality of the transformers. I like Whirlwind.

In a double-blind test would you be able to pick them apart? I certainly can't. Maybe the extra $100 for a better transformer will mean it lasts longer... it's just a matter of whether that's worth it for you. I've had no reliability issues with EWI DI's (or Countryman or Radial for that matter.) For the average Joe playing weekend gigs at the bar, it's money that doesn't need to be spent IMO.

• Members

The problem with active DI's for this application is that there is more limited isolation available when phantom power is used, plus you are duplicating the active electronics already present in the keyboard. It's the worse of both worlds... AND you are paying a premium to boot.

Most of the lower cost transformers by Rapco, Horizon, Whirlwind and EWI are really quite good for this application. I doubt that for this application anybody could tell any difference between the above 4 and a Jensen, Radial, Lundahl, Beyer, Triad-UTC, etc. in a double-blind test.

• Members

While I agree that the higher end DI's aren't right for the OP, the very cheapest can also be a problem. Case in point, I needed 4 channels of DI for a friend on a budget. Bought 1 stereo and 2 single OSP DI's. Out of the box 1 channel of the stereo and 1 mono DI didn't work. Opening them up, I was able to resolder the stereo one but not the single. And the transformers were noticably smaller and didn't sound as good as the old rapco DB100's. Nice thing is I don't have to use them, but my friend does. boo

Archived