No announcement yet.

Studiolive Problem

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studiolive Problem

I had a problem with my 16.4.2 last weekend. During the first song of the night the board would freeze up and quit passing sound for a few seconds then start working again. This happened 3 times in about 3 minutes. We had a spare board so we swapped them out and finished the gig. Earlier in the day it happened once during the soundcheck when the whole band was playing. I called forum poster BigJD and asked him for advice and we both thought maybe bad power or maybe a one time glitch. After the soundcheck I had just the drummer playing throught he PA and it worked fine. We had our distro hooked up to a pole with a 50 amp breaker. The power conditioner in my amp rack was showing a flucutuation between 110 and 114. I have been using the board at my house since then but only one channel and it has worked fine. I posted over at the presonus forum but I know alot of you guys use them so any thoughts

Do you use a UPS? I had problems like that early on. I put a cheap stand-by type UPS and still had problems. Ultimately, I had to put in a continuous UPS in line and I've been great ever since. Note the continuous UPS constantly power from the batteries and the batteries constantly being charged...stand-by UPS' run from the AC power and quickly switch over to battery when certain AC conditions are detected.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Full-Steam/179028619290

Comment

Is this a new board? Have you verified that you have the most up to date firmware loaded?

Also, was it connected to a laptop? There were some bugs early on where if you had a bad firewire cable (such as the one they shipped with the early boards) you could get some strangeness like this.
      Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. -Will Rogershttp://facebook.com/SpitShineRocks

Comment

I have one of the original boards with about 175 shows on it now and haven't had a single issue other than it fails the "radio test" (turn on an FM radio and walk toward the board and it gets noisy). I never had it fixed as I would have had to ship the board. That said, there have been documented instances of bad power supplies that Presonus has replaced.
        PA: JBL PRX712, PRX718XLF, RCF 745-A, 522-A, 310A, A&H Qu-16
        Lights: AMDJ Dotz TPAR, Haze Generator, Chauvet GigBAR
        www.nextexitrocks.com | wedding band | Columbus, OH | VIDEO

Comment

Flanc No UPS what brand/model are you using? Mutha goose i bought the board used back in Dec. Not using a computer Updated the firmware in January to 1.50a build 181. which I think is the latest.

Comment

Flanc No UPS what brand/model are you using?

+1
            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
            Hate is like taking poison, hoping the other guy gets sick.

How above being tricked are you? Take the test
            ---->
            HERE

Comment

Modulusman: It was worth a check. It affected many people back then.

I'm not saying a UPS isn't needed (though I don't even bring mine anymore), but personally I have a hard time believing that would help in this case. The reason I say this is because, if the board had reset, it would have had to completely reboot. You know how long this takes. From what you are describing, I assume you just had some audio drop-outs, not a re-boot.

If the board is sync'ed with a computer, it can glitch if it losses lock, producing audio drop outs. But if you're not sync'ing clocks, that's not what's happening. I assume no one was pushing buttons on the board .

I would suggest contacting PreSonus service. IME it takes them a couple of days to get back to you, but they are very helpful once you get to them (if you call, expect to be on hold for quite a while).
              Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. -Will Rogershttp://facebook.com/SpitShineRocks

Comment

I got a deal on this Tripp Lite UPS...got it used from a guy I knew who put in telco/computer racks for $150.

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=2948

It seems like way overkill and if I were shopping for something new, I'd check the Studio Live forum and see what is working for others.
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Full-Steam/179028619290

Comment

We spent a couple of hours talking about it,all I could figure was scetchy power.
                  Modulusman was outdoors. At the end of a single drop from a power pole , that also was feeding a bunch of conssecion stands before it got to him.
                  Sounded like when he and his drummer checked it out early on Saturday no one was around and it worked. I believe that when they started playing later that evening and the stands were open is when they had the troubles.
                  Full band and beer and food freezers and friges running probably put a big load on the power run occasionally ( freezers cycling on- off) no amperage when needed.
                  DON'T BE ALARMED!!! REMAIN CALM!!!!!!!!!
                  There's nothing to see here. It's another day in IDAHO!!!

My bands Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/stiff.richard

Comment

I can totally see how "festival power" and, what amounts to a mixing computer, wouldn't get along well.

Comment

We spent a couple of hours talking about it,all I could figure was scetchy power.
                      Modulusman was outdoors. At the end of a single drop from a power pole , that also was feeding a bunch of conssecion stands before it got to him.
                      Sounded like when he and his drummer checked it out early on Saturday no one was around and it worked. I believe that when they started playing later that evening and the stands were open is when they had the troubles.
                      Full band and beer and food freezers and friges running probably put a big load on the power run occasionally ( freezers cycling on- off) no amperage when needed.

thanks for any advice you offered over the phone. We just had band practice and the board worked fine but i was only using 3 channels. I may have to wait awhile before I use it at a gig because most of the gigs this summer are weddings. I don't want to take a chance on being attacked by a bridezilla if the board were to act up again.

Comment

I can totally see how "festival power" and, what amounts to a mixing computer, wouldn't get along well.

I
                        -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
                        Hate is like taking poison, hoping the other guy gets sick.

How above being tricked are you? Take the test
                        ---->
                        HERE

Comment

There is absolutely no reason why it has to be like this with proper design. The problem appears to be that digital audio designers don't think as deeply about robustness and the support hardware like power supplies and output electronics because they aren't as sexy as software and GUI's.
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

There is absolutely no reason why it has to be like this with proper design. The problem appears to be that digital audio designers don't think as deeply about robustness and the support hardware like power supplies and output electronics because they aren't as sexy as software and GUI's.

Maybe, maybe not. You don't know what the power situation was anymore than I do. If there was a true brown/black out, no computer would stay on. That said, if you had other devices like wireless mics, guitar processors, speaker processors, etc and they didn't go "blinky blinky" then yes it would seemingly be either a bad power supply or underengineering.

Comment

The town electrician had came by that morning and installed a 14-50 range plug on a light pole for us. The main breaker on the pole was 50 amps. We were using a Peavey distro. We were actually about a 150 yards from the rodeo arena. We were also at the end of the line for the power being supplied to the whole complex. There was one more street light past the band stand. Don't know if it was power related but the guitar players Fender tube amp would not work the 2nd night of the gig. The on light worked but no sound. We always carry spare equipment. Peavey saved the day. We used a Peavey fx16 board and we had a Peavey classic 30 for a spare guitar amp.

Comment

Working...
                              X