Am getting wowed by the ZXA1/ZXA1-Sub idea

• Members

I am thinking about scrapping the passive tops/subs/amps rig we're using and breaking down and going with small-footprint powered enclosures. We (finally) have a great sounding rig, but to be most convenient, I need to purchase a trailer to haul/store it. Even storing the trailer I would buy has its own issues for me right now. My thinking is to divert my trailer fund to purchasing a more compact rig that isn't as trailer-dependant and can be more easily loaded/unloaded/reloaded/unloaded from my current SUV.

Saw the ZXA1/ZXA1-Sub combo at Guitar Center on my way out of a Taylor roadshow event. I looked up the specs and was impressed.

If I was considering a pair of $600/subs and $400/tops, what combo beats a ZXA1/ZXA1-Sub combo for:

Size

Price

Weight

Power/SPL

The above is pretty much my criteria in order. My goal is to get as compact as possible and still have enough to cover 100-200 people, inside, with 4-piece acoustic or 3-piece 50's-70's cover band music. For budget, I am pretty stuck on a top end of $2K for subs and tops.

I am also looking only for new. I don't want to wade through ads looking for options. My size-reduction requirement drives this puchase and likely the smallest options are the newest products and they won't be as plentiful in the used market.

Is there anything as small as the EVA1's that compare favorably?

(among others, I am also looking forward to AP's response)

Thanks!

• Members

You won't find lighter and smaller for a tri-amped system, but you'll also likely have trouble getting over 200 people in a noisy environment with this setup and you'll also likely be pushing it to the edge quite a bit. So sure, it's a cute lightweight PA, but may or may not be what you want it to be. What are you using now and are you happy with the output levels it's capable of or do you want more?

My personal experience - I owned the passive ZX1 and found, while they made decent monitors, they just didn't throw well enough to be a serious FOH speaker. Even as monitors, my RCF 310A's cost less, get louder and sound great.

• Members

I use a pair of ZXA1's as monitors when our acoustic Celtic band does events at smaller venues (weddings mostly). We use QSC K10's as mains, which should tell 'ya something about the ability of the ZXA1's to work as mains vs. something just a little bit bigger. If I could get away with ZXA1's for both mains and monitors, I'd use them that way. The ZXA1's are pretty amazing for what they can do in that size, but the K10's have a fuller, more balanced sound to my ears. The K10's are only 32 lbs. each, and take up only a little more room than the ZXA1's when packing.

The main reason we use ZXA1's instead of another pair of K10's for monitors is mainly just the tiny size. On cramped stages, or events where we're crammed into the corner of a room with a lot of foot traffic nearby, it's nice to have floor monitors that take up a minimal amount of room, and the ZXA1 is perfect for that.

Disclaimer: For the type of music we do, the K10 has plenty of bass extension, so we don't use a sub. The lowest instrument we ever use is a bodhran (hand drum), and occasionally a double bass. No kick drum or synths that would require a sub, and a sit-in bass player will usually bring an amp. I haven't heard the ZXA1's over a sub, and that might change my opinion of how they work as a full system. I just think you'd be happier with the K10's (with a sub if you need it), especially if you're trying to reach groups as large as 200 in size. The K10's might even be a bit marginal for that.

• Members

I just delivered the exact system to a local entertainer. He used to use just a pair of EV SxA250's and he's raving about the new ZXA1/ZXA1-Sub system.

Once the bass frequencies aren't on the ZXA1's plate, they get louder.

• Members

What are you using now?

We are currently using PR15s over TLS 115Xs. The TLXs are loaded with Omega Pro 15As. We would be using PR12s, but the PR15s carry us for smaller gigs when we play without subs (we play without stage amps). We are using a GX5 and run our 31eq essentially flat...only slight rolloffs on either end.

We like the sound...it's just a lot to move. I know it is nowhere's near what many on this board load in and out, but it is a tight fit in an Explorer and a pain to deal with at 3:00am.

• Members

BTW, did you see Willingham's HR today?

What means this, tbone? Link?

We are (currently) a 4-piece, acoustic group. Bass, keys, guitars, 4 vocals. Mostly 60's/70's/Woodstock-era rock. We play small clubs, but mainly private and corporate parties.

• Members

My friend is a die hard Twins fan. Willingham's 2 run HR to beat the Reds was an awesome site. I enjoy the years when the White Sox and Twins are battling for first place. That is a great rivalry. Unfortunately that isn't happening this year.

• Members

Although choosing a better single sub and rolling with that may be a good idea, I feel more comforatable considering smaller lighter units (albeit two of them and possibly sacrificing some SPL). When we need more, I can always double up with my existing gear.

Sadly, I am also a sucker for symmetry and know I won't always be able to place a center sub. We run unbalanced sides from time to time, but the inability to run balanced would bug me.

On the assumption that most new powered speakers - from reputable companies - have a usable tone somewhere inside them, I am sticking with my original criteria of:

Size

Price

Weight

Power/SPL

I really want to free up some truck (and stage) space and lighten the loadins/loadouts. If I give up a little sonic capacity to do so, I might be ok with that.

How unwise it it to mix brands/lines with the newer powered stuff? EV-over-JBL, QSC-over-Peavey. I have no problems mixing it up with unpowered (out of the same crossover), and I assume 100hz still means 100hz.

Thank you for your ideas...it is good to consider all options.

• Members

How unwise it it to mix brands/lines with the newer powered stuff? EV-over-JBL, QSC-over-Peavey. I have no problems mixing it up with unpowered (out of the same crossover), and I assume 100hz still means 100hz.

Thank you for your ideas...it is good to consider all options.

It depends. I like to stay with the same model line w/ the same DSP and the samp powering options because they are designed to work together, and for simplicity in setup and wiring.

• Members

If you're doing 50s-70s music in front of 100-200 people with no stage amps, I can't see how you're going to be happy with this system at all. I know that they are sexy, cute, and small, but the first time you use them in a situation that really counts you will probably be disappointed.

I can get more gear than what you are currently using in my Hyundai Elantra hatchback. I'd think you could get something larger than this EV system in an Explorer without resorting to a trailer. But I'm hardly an expert in these newer portable systems smaller than PRX.

(among others, I am also looking forward to AP's response)

PM Al to get his attention. Somehow he's missed this thread... :lol:

• Members

If you're doing 50s-70s music in front of 100-200 people with no stage amps, I can't see how you're going to be happy with this system
at all.
I know that they are sexy, cute, and small, but the first time you use them in a situation that really counts you will probably be disappointed.

I'd have to agree with this statement. 0 to 50 people and you might be OK any bigger than that (people are basically just huge sacks of water that eat sound) and your system will be completely inadequate if you expect decent coverage.

• Members

Although choosing a better single sub and rolling with that may be a good idea, I feel more comforatable considering smaller lighter units (albeit two of them and possibly sacrificing some SPL). When we need more, I can always double up with my existing gear.

Sadly, I am also a sucker for symmetry and know I won't always be able to place a center sub. We run unbalanced sides from time to time, but the inability to run balanced would bug me.

If by

• Members

(people are basically just huge sacks of water that eat sound)

So you've met them? :lol: :lol: :lol:

For our "50s-70s music" think acoustic versions of Beatles, Dylan, Stones, CSNY, Donovan, Everlys, Simon/Garfunkel and the like. Low end is bass, voice and occasional keys, but no bass drum.

• Members

For our "50s-70s music" think acoustic versions of Beatles, Dylan, Stones, CSNY, Donovan, Everlys, Simon/Garfunkel and the like. Low end is bass, voice and occasional keys, but no bass drum.

Awesome

• Members

If you're doing 50s-70s music in front of 100-200 people with no stage amps, I can't see how you're going to be happy with this system
at all.
I know that they are sexy, cute, and small, but the first time you use them in a situation that really counts you will probably be disappointed.

Currently, we're playing to 50-100 regularly. I was just curious about more. (I also built a 30'x56' shed for an 18' boat.)

I can get more gear than what you are currently using in my Hyundai Elantra hatchback. I'd think you could get something larger than this EV system in an Explorer without resorting to a trailer. But I'm hardly an expert in these newer portable systems smaller than PRX.
:lol:

While I CAN get the system in my Explorer...I'd honestly just rather not anymore. Our GX5 and Deca power amps are 60lbs in a rack and the subs are close to 70lbs each or so. Add the board, truss, stands, monitors, cords and keyboards - and stack-packing like a pro mover - it's tiring. At 44, I'm the youngest guy in the group easily by 10+ years...so you can guess what set-up and tear-down are like - plus loading before going to the gig and unloading the truck back home afterward. But let's not try to fix that situation...I'm still ok doing it. I just want to spend some money to save some sweat.

• Members
My friend is a die hard Twins fan. Willingham's 2 run HR to beat the Reds was an awesome site. I enjoy the years when the White Sox and Twins are battling for first place. That is a great rivalry. Unfortunately that isn't happening this year.

not yet anyway! :) or not without a little starting pitching.

Archived