clipping lights broken pv8 mixer?

• Members

I bought a used peavey pv8 mixer from a Pawnshop. They said it was missing the ac adapter so I was like oh no problem I can find one around the house. Got it home and plugged it in...turned it on. All channel led lights showed red....even the light meter. I hooked up a microphone thru ch1 and hooked up earphone and couldn't hear myself. There was some sort of electronic noise only. Phantom led wouldnt light up either. Got any idea what's wrong with it?

• Members

As mentioned, hopefully you just had an improper adapter, and didn't do permanent damage to the unit. That said, without the adapter, the pawnshop likely had no idea if it was a functioning piece or not. You certainly couldn't know when you bought it.

• Members

An improper ac adapter can do that? I figured as long as it can turn the unit on it should work. Think the pv8 required 16v and 1amp. I used a 12v ac adapter I had laying around

I would give even odds that you have destroyed you new mixer.

Learn first then do... it's less destructive this way.

• Members

Speaking of LED's/ small mixers;
;)
I recently bought a compact mixer (Soundcraft Notepad 124FX), and the channel LED's ( red "peak" indicators) aren't working, on any of the XLR/mono channels. Any thoughts?

Maybe you're just that good!

• Members

Maybe you're just that good!

Could be,,,,, but highly doubtful. :facepalm:

Seriously though, no matter how high I set input gain, and channel gain, I can't get those damned channel-strip peak LED's to light up. I'm wondering if this is a problem that goes beyond the LED's themselves, and if I should return the mixer. As it stands, I'm turning up channel-gain until the onset of feedback, then dialing it back a few db's.

The peak indicator in the FX section works fine, and the output LED's also seem to be working fine.

• Members

Speaking of LED's/ small mixers;
;)
I recently bought a compact mixer (Soundcraft Notepad 124FX), and the channel LED's ( red "peak" indicators) aren't working, on any of the XLR/mono channels. Any thoughts?

Were you able to put vocal effects in the monitor? I remember when I tried it, it didn

• Members

I haven't tried the monitor outputs yet, nor have I tried the headphones, so I'll give that a whirl. I really wanted to like this lil' mixer (124FX), but after working with an EFX-8, it's just no contest. Luckily for me though, I got it on sale at MF's eBay website, for $99., I'll give MF's customer service a call, and see what they suggest, and I'll try contacting Soundcraft as well.

Yeah

• Members

Well I'll be darned,,, the channel peak indicator LED's are working. Thank goodness, because it would have been a hassle to ship it back to the U.S.

I tried the headphones (HD-280 Pro's), and that worked fine as well. Too bad there's no EQ capability on the headphone-out, but that's part of the trade-off with these really compact mixers. That's neither a criticism of the mixer nor the headphones,,, it's just a natural occurrence when singing with isolation headphones on, that you'll hear your voice resonating in your head,,, plus the headphone signal. Kinda like singing with your hands cupped over your ears.

Archived