X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Live Drum Micing Technique

I once heard someone mention that they did this with success for gigs, and I'd like to get others opinions about it....One dedicated kick drum mic on the reso head, and then clamp a Sennheiser e604 on the top of the batter bass drum hoop in between the two rack toms, facing up, but angled toward the snare a bit. I heard this picks up the toms and the snare (I'm not sure how much of the floor tom though, if any). Cymbals should come though the vocal mics. Opinions?
    Ludwig Element CS Retro (Mod Orange)
    12x8 tom
    14x14 floor tom
    14x22 bass drum w/ rail mount
    14x5 snare
    14x5 pointed badge Acrolite

Zildjian cymbals
    15" New Beats
    17" A Medium Thin Crash
    18" Armand Thin Crash
    20" K Custom Medium Ride
    18" A Custom EFX

When I do simple drum mic setups it usually consists of Kick, snare and 2 overheads.

Comment

For simplicity, as stated, K, S and OH's. I usually get as much as I can in, mic all snares/toms and leave the overheads stereo for simple balance to whatever comes in through vocals. But that's just me, it helps dial in a better sound most of the time.

Comment

I once heard someone mention that they did this with success for gigs, and I'd like to get others opinions about it....One dedicated kick drum mic on the reso head, and then clamp a Sennheiser e604 on the top of the batter bass drum hoop in between the two rack toms, facing up, but angled toward the snare a bit. I heard this picks up the toms and the snare (I'm not sure how much of the floor tom though, if any). Cymbals should come though the vocal mics. Opinions?

The success of placements like this are highly dependent upon the drummer's playing style and the layout of his kit. It wouldn't be a good general-purpose technique to mic'ing the snare, because the microphone is a good 3' away from it.

-Dan.
        Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.

Comment

My cymbals are bright and loud as it is. I'm worried that OHs would kill the crowds ears with highs and just cause feedback issues
          Ludwig Element CS Retro (Mod Orange)
          12x8 tom
          14x14 floor tom
          14x22 bass drum w/ rail mount
          14x5 snare
          14x5 pointed badge Acrolite

Zildjian cymbals
          15" New Beats
          17" A Medium Thin Crash
          18" Armand Thin Crash
          20" K Custom Medium Ride
          18" A Custom EFX

Comment

If you know how to play the drums as a musical instrument and have good dynamics you should not worry. If you bash away with no care in the world then you may want to reconsider.

In one of my rock bands I play large 18-20" A custom projection crashes, Earth Rides ect, and have no problems with volume.

Edit: spelling

Comment

If you know how to play the drums as a musical instrument and have good dynamics you should not worry. If you bash away with no care in the world then you may want to reconsider.

In one of my rock bands I play large 18-20" A custom projection crashes, Earth Rides ect, and have no problems with volume.

Edit: spelling

This. If it's like deathcore or something, then I can understand part way. But in any other case, it all comes down to the musician/drummer...lol. I keep the OH's there just incase. Vocals can pick some bleed up but not the sound you may want. Like I said, I mic as much up as I can, just a single mic per snare/tom, kick, and one or two overheads.

Comment

My current go to in smaller venues and on smaller stages is kick, floor, one mic between the two rack toms and a mic next to the snare but angled at the hat. Adjust for taste. I get all the cymbals I want in the four open vocal mics.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-c1JDsmREI
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPUXD...eature=related
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sister-Wives/37203218181
                http://www.sisterwivesband.com

Comment

When I do simple drum mic setups it usually consists of Kick, snare and 2 overheads.
                  +1 What he said...works well.

Comment

Sometimes I can get by with just one overhead!!

Comment

I think it was Coaster who mentioned using a single Omni (like a EV 635) to cover the whole kit. Worth looking into.

Comment

My drummer has too many mics to allow that to happen. At least while indoors, he only uses a kick mic. But I can see that working quite well.

Comment

I have done similar to the OP's question in the pastat an outdoor in an alley gig (plenty of reflections from the buildings). I ran a kick mic and an SM57 boomed in over the kick between the snare and a single mounted tom. It worked adaquately in that situation, short gig, small mixer, no subs. I THINK itwas just old Peavey SP2s on stands for the speakers (rounded top cabinets).

Boomerweps

Comment

I have done similar to the OP's question in the pastat an outdoor in an alley gig (plenty of reflections from the buildings). I ran a kick mic and an SM57 boomed in over the kick between the snare and a single mounted tom. It worked adaquately in that situation, short gig, small mixer, no subs. I THINK itwas just old Peavey SP2s on stands for the speakers (rounded top cabinets).

Boomerweps

did the exact same thing in an acoustically active space with better than expected results.

Comment

For small setups I have had very good success with just micing the kick.

Next up I would strongly consider a mic between the toms.

I have had issues with cymbal volume even in relatively large indoor venues and therefore don't really use my overheads indoors at all.
                              With Greater Knowledge Comes Greater Understanding

Comment

Working...
                              X