QSC KW & JBL PRX...again.

• Members

Okay, I've posted a couple topics before, but I'm dedicating this topic to hands-on reviews between the two series. Here are the plans for the setup I'm looking at

4 3-Way Top cabinets with 4 matching subwoofers

6 floor monitors (4-5 front line, 1-2 drummer)

Powered system, low power draw

Will include DBX Driverack PX for processing/EQ

Here's what I've come up with...

4 PRX635: $4396 || -10dB: 41Hz-19kHz, +/-3dB: 53Hz-18kHz, 1" HF Driver, 6.5" Mid Driver, 135dB peak, 60lbs

4 PRX618S-XLF: $5196 || -10dB: 30Hz-105Hz, +/-3dB: 39Hz-93Hz, 133dB peak, 81.5lbs

6 PRX612M: $4794

Total: $14,386

Advantages: Weight, Solo HF Dispersion (90* x 50*), Cabinet look | Disadvantages: Amp Module Problems, Shorter warranty period

4 KW153: $5199.96 || -10dB: 33Hz-20kHz, -6dB: 35Hz-18kHz, 1.75" HF Driver, 6.5" Mid Driver, 134dB peak, 87lbs

4 KW181: $5599.96 || -10dB: 34Hz-143Hz, -6dB: 38Hz-124Hz, 135dB peak, 88lbs

6 KW122: $6599.94

Total: $17,399.86

Advantages: Reliability, 6-Year Warranty, Freq Response, Peak SPL | Disadvantages: Weight, Price

Music played on it, as stated, will be mostly rock music, classic/southern rock, country, some bluegrass, some heavy metal, and some DJ work (Top 40/Dance/Electronica). So, of course, the main questions are going to be...

1. Have you used, owned, or heard either series?

2. Are there any pro's & con's I'm missing?

Also, one thing I noticed, the JBL only contains a 1" 2414H HF driver, while the QSC KW contains a 1.75" HF driver, could that affect how the highs sound a whole lot?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I use the K-series with the KW181 subs, and I've heard the PRX series ... and honestly, while you could sit and pick out differences, they're all quality speakers and can give you great results. I might consider the K's instead of the KW's for monitor duty to save a little money without sacrificing a ton of quality. But I'd be more than happy to mix on either of the rigs you have listed. Just my opinion as a weekend warrior, of course. Take it for what it's worth. :)

• Members

Will include DBX Driverack PX for processing/EQ

IMnHO, this option is not necessary for either of the systems you propose. Their internal processing, crossovers, and limiting are far better configured than anything you can do in the PX. Just get some quality EQs instead.

I own and use the KW181 and it is fantastic. Get the factory cover for it, as it is well designed and protects the electronics during transport.

Any particular reason you are stuck on 3-way tops for FOH? If it were me, I would have my FOH be the same as my wedges so that I could swap out units easily in the event of a failure. Just my $0.02. YMMV.

The good news is that either system will be fantastic. I am a bit of a QSC fanboy, but my back is a fan of the lighter JBL gear.

• Members

Also, one thing I noticed, the JBL only contains a 1" 2414H HF driver, while the QSC KW contains a 1.75" HF driver, could that affect how the highs sound a whole lot?

The 2414H has a 1.5" diaphragm (I believe). Both drivers have a 1" exit - which is where you may have got that figure.

I'd go six KW181s, four KW122s (FOH), six K10s (monitors, and you should be able to cut that down to four and be good with most bands). And I'd go QSC because that series seems more reliable, and by all accounts they have a better repair department. If the system is going to be used by contemporary DJs at all they are going to love you a lot more with six subs, and they hopefully won't be run all night solidly in the red (which will definitely happen with just four).

• Members

And I'd go QSC because that series seems more reliable, and by all accounts they have a better repair department. ...

Actually, in my particular experience, JBL's repairs were much faster with better communications then my experience with QSC. Had weeks of issues getting QSC to do much more then say they will check on the status. My JBL was dropped off repaired and returned in just a couple of days. Just my experience and other than that, I do not disagree with your statement to the OP. Either system he is looking at will satisfy his needs. Nothing wrong with either. I would still go with the JBLs but I certainly wouldn't turn down the KWs if someone wants to give me some.

• Members

Actually, in my particular experience, JBL's repairs were much faster with better communications then my experience with QSC. Had weeks of issues getting QSC to do much more then say they will check on the status. My JBL was dropped off repaired and returned in just a couple of days. Just my experience and other than that, I do not disagree with your statement to the OP.

Well that's better than my own since I haven't dealt with either company in years. It's good info to know.

To Djiceman: if you want to go JBL I'd assemble it along the lines of the QSC cabs I suggested. You don't need 15" tops with subs, and you need more subs for contemporary DJs. And I really think you could cut back on the number of monitors initially. If only four becomes a recurring issue you can always add one or two later.

• Members

The 2414H has a 1.5" diaphragm (I believe). Both drivers have a 1" exit - which is where you may have got that figure.

I'd go six KW181s, four KW122s (FOH), six K10s (monitors, and you should be able to cut that down to four and be good with most bands). And I'd go QSC because that series seems more reliable, and by all accounts they have a better repair department. If the system is going to be used by contemporary DJs at all they are going to love you a lot more with six subs, and they hopefully won't be run all night solidly in the red (which will definitely happen with just four).

I like this too. I'm a JBL fanboy but I think QSC seems to be having a better track record. Plus a 6yr Warranty is nice if something does happen.

I don't think I would do 4 153's either. Maybe a pair for large events, one per side with a 122 or K10/12 on a stick splayed off the side if a wider coverage is needed. 4 subs though. K10's do make nice monitors, I use a pair myself.

• Members

4 subs though. K10's do make nice monitors, I use a pair myself.

There's no problem starting out with 4 subs either, and adding more if needed. There seems to be a lot of universal love for K10s as monitors. I was very happy with it the one time I got the chance to use one.

• Members

There's no problem starting out with 4 subs either, and adding more if needed. There seems to be a lot of universal love for K10s as monitors. I was very happy with it the one time I got the chance to use one.

I meant to say to start out, more is good! LOL

• Members

2. Are there any pro's & con's I'm missing?

Just the other day I listened to the KW152 single 15 cab vs the PRX version. I was able to A/B them, and I could hear a definite difference in the sound quality. The KW speakers had better definition and detail, and the bass response seemed better as well, at least to my ears. This is a different model than in your post, however, so YMMV.

• Members

Just the other day I listened to the KW152 single 15 cab vs the PRX version. I was able to A/B them, and I could hear a definite difference in the sound quality. The KW speakers had better definition and detail, and the bass response seemed better as well, at least to my ears. This is a different model than in your post, however, so YMMV.

Yeah, with what limited hearing I did, the KW's just sound alot fuller, and I've heard the PRX500 series, and they had that typical JBL harshness. With the 600 it may have changed, I'm just goin to have to take a day off and drive to Lexington and demo them for myself.

• Members

I think you won't be happy with any of this.

You don't really seem to be understanding all of these tradeoffs and what they mean. You are throwing around things that are only half-truths or your perspective based on inaccurate perceptions of the equipment. Your tradeoff list is a great example of this.

Either model line is going to be roughly equal, the HF drivers are equal, the reliability is equal, the performance is equal, etc. The main difference is cosmetics and weight.

Make your choice, but IMO you are way overthinking this.

• Members

I just want to make sure I make the right choice. I don't want to choose one and regret it over the other. Like I said, this is all going to be based on a live demo still, but I'm collecting input to keep in mind. I overthink everything, but eventually I will just make the choice, and it's probably going to be the QSC's. The JBL's are lighter and better looking, but I'm worried more about the reliability issue. And if something goes down, what I can do to fix it.

• Members

I just want to make sure I make the right choice. I don't want to choose one and regret it over the other. Like I said, this is all going to be based on a live demo still, but I'm collecting input to keep in mind. I overthink everything

Hey... you're spending over fifteen grand on this stuff. I don't think you're over thinking this (does that make sense - too many "thinks" there) :lol:

When you audition, run the gear the way you're going to be running it when you really need everything it's got: Tops over subs up to limiting. And try two ways over subs as well as three ways. But do it over subs because that's your application.

I see so many people go into GC and make snap judgements about powered speaker cabs when there's nothing running through them except a satellite radio station at modest levels.

That will tell you a lot about how a speaker is going to behave during a band break, but little else.

• Members

I think you won't be happy with any of this.

You don't really seem to be understanding all of these tradeoffs and what they mean. You are throwing around things that are only half-truths or your perspective based on inaccurate perceptions of the equipment. Your tradeoff list is a great example of this.

I couldn't agree more. You should be looking at one class up and using fewer boxes.

• Members

I couldn't agree more. You should be looking at one class up and using fewer boxes.

That is a very good suggestion. So far, the discussion has been limited to the boxes you're focused on. If it were my money I'd widen my focus.

• Members

Hey... you're spending over fifteen grand on this stuff. I don't think you're over thinking this (does that make sense - too many "thinks" there)
:lol:

When you audition, run the gear the way you're going to be running it when you really need everything it's got: Tops over subs up to limiting. And try two ways over subs as well as three ways. But do it over subs because that's your application.

I see so many people go into GC and make snap judgements about powered speaker cabs when there's nothing running through them except a satellite radio station at modest levels.

That will tell you a lot about how a speaker is going to behave during a band break, but little else.

I'm hoping to have a Mac by next week, I have two gigs with three bands, and hoping to record all three and mix it down as it was played live. I plan on doing a lot of listening for sure.

• Members

Better at what ...

Give me one case and I can answer, give me 50 different ones and it will be a bit tougher

That isn't his call just yet lol. Someone recommended to him that instead of so many cabs that he goes up one level in quality then someone else "seconded" the advice. So djiceman, in my opinion, asked the exact question he should have in response to the aforementioned admonition. ;)

• Members

I am only gong to say - that I heard a rig last night - that was QSC KW Series Equipment - and it sounded great. Two subs and two tops on both sides - the subs were single speakers - I would say 18" and the tops were 2 - 15's and a horn - each ( I guess - last night - I actually thought they were two 12s and a horn - but looking online today I do not find such a KW speaker). The boxes were well matched is all I can say - and the sound was Robust and Crisp and Clear. I thought - "I want that". But if the JBL PRX are just as good (roughly) AND lighter - then "I want that" instead. (I will be getting neither - for the forseeabe future - and just using what I have which is good enough for now.)

Archived