Cable length for powered speakers?

• Members

Well, I finally got some powered speaker to replace my crappy PA. Now, I need to get some balanced cables to run from my mixer to the speakers. I'm thinking TRS cables (instead of XLRs) in case I ever luck into a steal of a deal on a snake (and because I don't have XLR outs on the board--I could buy adapters, but why bother).

Any recommendations on what length to look for? I was originally thinking 50' so I could make any run I needed, but that seems a little extreme....thoughts?

• Members

The "problem" with TRS cables is that they are hard to extend. With XLR cables you can just join up two 25 footers to make a 50 when you need one. Most snakes are XLR only also - only some of the crap ones have TRS. To adapt your board outs to XLR buy these:

http://audiopile.net/products/Mic_Instr_Cables/MP_Adaptor_Cbls/MP-106/MP-106_cutsheet.shtml

I prefer to use the one footers, the two or five footers would be OK too - YMMV.

• Members

Good call.Time to troll ebay for a set of 4 25' cables!

On a related note, do the make long power cables for those things, or does everybody just run an extension cord up to the base of the speaker stand?

Why not order some quality cable from Mark at www.audiopile.net? Sure beats buying some of the typical internet junk. The difference in cost is almost trivial.

Usually just power to the base of each spaker stand or stack and then plug in whatever you need to.

• Members

I'm with Age with another vote for Mark's EWI cables since had mine for years with no probs.

As far as power cord I use 12 gauge extension cord with a quad box for each speaker stack and also being I own LED lighting rig I can also plug in my LED lights on the same power cord since LEDs don't draw much current and never tripped a breaker in the past 5 years when I switched over from a passive to active rig and from standard lighting to LED lighting.

• Members

Why not order some quality cable from Mark at
www.audiopile.net?
Sure beats buying some of the typical internet junk. The difference in cost is almost trivial.

Usually just power to the base of each spaker stand or stack and then plug in whatever you need to.

I'm with Andy on this. Almost every cable in my collection is from Audiopile.net and they a top quality.

BTW, I use XLR on everything I can. The only time I use TRS is when there is no other way.

• Members

Good call.Time to troll ebay for a set of 4 25' cables!

Buy them from http://audiopile.net

On a related note, do the make long power cables for those things, or does everybody just run an extension cord up to the base of the speaker stand?

I bought 25 foot ones from monoprice.com :

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10228

• Members

Right - XLR cables for everything. All the same length - 20 ft. is fine. Just hook em together. Buy whatever adaptors you need to buy. Buy everything at Audiopile.net. They are awesome. I buy all my cables and stuff there - never been disappointed. Keep it simple!

• Members

Oh - only buy BLACK extansion cords for use on stage. Make sure you get heavy gauge ones.

Yep on this one. Buy yourself some bulk 12-3 SOOW and use these plugs and connectors. The one below is the Leviton 5266 industrial. AFAIC, Leviton is the best. Expensive but you can find new ones (if I hadn't bought 'em up :)) for $5-$9 ea.). You can also get these in all black but they are harder to find on ebay.

Leviton-R03-5266-C-rw-163331-228135.jpg

• Members

I use the Leviton connector pictured above but in all black. Do yourself a favor, if you're making your own extension cables, don't mount a quad box to the end, rather build a quad box with a 6" tail. Much easier to deal with and the quad box can now be used with any length extension cable you need.

2h7q52w.jpg

• Members

A couple of the local guys build their quad boxes with powercons in and out instead of tails like that. I've also seem ones with tails that had an "out" tail too. In either case that lets you build up distribution stringers. The addition of a "through" tail might be of dubious legality unless you use twistlock tails? BTW I hear tell this feller can build you custom stuff like Bill pictured above ;) :

http://www.entsyscorp.com

• Members

I use the Leviton connector pictured above but in all black. Do yourself a favor, if you're making your own extension cables, don't mount a quad box to the end, rather build a quad box with a 6" tail. Much easier to deal with and the quad box can now be used with any length extension cable you need.

2h7q52w.jpg

Or better yet, have a 6" tail out both ends for added flexibilty. :)

0001s.jpg

0011s.jpg

Archived