Crazy Vocal Effects chaining together question, how do I?

• Members

Ok, has been a while since I posted but I'd like to ask if there is a straightforward way to utilize both of these effects units simultanously. I have a digitech voicelive 4 that is my main deal for vocals. I use it for pitch correction, reverb, compression etc. (no harmonies) I take the audio outs XLR and go directly into 2 channels (l and r) of my mixer. The other device is a TC Helicon Double, I believe they are discontinued in favor of a smaller unit that does same thing:

redir?resid=AC1B2B2B376E2D5E!686
redir?resid=AC1B2B2B376E2D5E!685
redir?resid=AC1B2B2B376E2D5E!684

redir?resid=AC1B2B2B376E2D5E!686&authkey
I believe the double will have to come after the VL4 since it has pitch correction. I am just really not sure the best way to do this, whether there is a daisy chain way, where I mic into the VL4, then into the Double, then into the mixer, or somehow make the double an 'insert.' Then again, if it was an insert could it still be after the pitch correction? I don't think this is a really hard one. I did the daisy chain thing once but the levels were weird in that I had to have the VL4 output kind of soft as it was going into the double. Anyway, curious you guys take on this conundrum. Thanks!!

• CMS Author

I'd get a singer who is in key and toss the pitch correction. If forced by gunpoint to still use it, I'd put it first. It's normal that the levels would be modest out of the first effect unit into the second.

I hope you're being *very* conservative in how much effect you're adding to the mix. Less is more, unless you're trying to hide something....wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by stevolives View Post
is the TC one called Mic Mechanic? little red one? haven't heard of the boss one, maybe need to look into swapping out the VL4, it is a pretty neat deal though...
If it were me I would pass on the mic mechanic and opt for TC's Voice Live 2 which gives you way more features and combinations to use at once.
Maybe Abzurd can chime in IIRC he uses TC VL2 unit.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by twostone View Post
If it were me I would pass on the mic mechanic and opt for TC's Voice Live 2 which gives you way more features and combinations to use at once.
Maybe Abzurd can chime in IIRC he uses TC VL2 unit.
$600? ouch! bet is awesome though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by stevolives

View Post

$600? ouch! bet is awesome though.

Well you might look at Voicelive play which not as feature loaded but $249 retail sure if you look hard enough you can find them cheaper. The Boss VE are not bad but lack real time harmony pitch shifting so you gotta manually change the key when using them for back up harmonies.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by twostone

View Post

Well you might look at Voicelive play which not as feature loaded but $249 retail sure if you look hard enough you can find them cheaper. The Boss VE are not bad but lack real time harmony pitch shifting so you gotta manually change the key when using them for back up harmonies.

Interestingly enough, I haven't ever had the need for the harmonies, just some doubling/unison type things so the Boss, and VL Play may be contenders after all. smile.gif

Archived