Best Vocal Mic At And Below $250.00

• Members

Hey everyone. I know I asked about that Neumman mic a bit back, but I decided to heed your sage advice and not buy that one. Anyway, at my last show I had my old EV ND 767 just up and DIE on me and had to borrow one of the drummer's instrument mics just to get through the rest of the show. Anyway, I love the EV mic, but I also know that the SM58 is industry standard. The Beta58 is considered a step above. and the ND767 is also a mic with a great rep. I am going to head out to Guitar Center this weekend to try them all and any others, but here is my question:

What mics do you guys prefer?

I will make this a poll. If you choose "other" then please, please, please post the mic you chose and why! lol Don't just click the choice.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Where's the Poll?

I like the Sennheiser e945,,, roughly $220. (super-cardioid dynamic). Great bottom-end, while retaining good intelligibility.

The e935 is $40. less, and it's a cardioid dynamic. A little more forgiving of bad technique than the e945. Very tight pick-up pattern.

Both are great mics for that price.

You might wanna try the Blue en*CORE 300, at roughly $199. (condenser) American Idol was using those as their stage-mics last year (or maybe the year prior)

• Members

If you dig around you'll find the threads here and on the acousticguitar forum where I shared my own little search for a vocal mic. In a nutshell, I started off with an SM58 and used that for a while, then eventually I tried a whole bunch of the usual suspects for stage vocal use in this price range, and finally settled on a Heil PR35. Vocal mics can be very voice-specific (there were plenty that I tried on the recommendations of others that just did nothing special for my voice). For me, the best mics I tried were the 767a, which I used for quite a while, then the PR35, which was love at first try and has remained my main lead vocal mic ever since. I first heard it being used at a local small venue by Dave Alvin, and the sound the sound lady was getting on his voice that night made me feel I just had to try the Heil. But try as many mics as you can.

Louis

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note View Post
Where's the Poll?
Ugh! I am a moron! A microsecond after hitting "submit" to create the thread, I realized I forgot to create the poll. I then tried to edit this one to add the poll, but no go. I then tried to delete this thread and start all over. lol Oh well. NO poll, but you can still post.

• Members

The suggestion to try as many vocal mics as you can, to see what sounds good for your voice, is good advice. I respectfully suggest that there is no one "magic mic" that works for every voice, especially in a live setting. If there was one "magic mic", wouldn't it be the go-to mic for everybody? Mark C.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Miko Man View Post
The suggestion to try as many vocal mics as you can, to see what sounds good for your voice, is good advice. I respectfully suggest that there is no one "magic mic" that works for every voice, especially in a live setting. If there was one "magic mic", wouldn't it be the go-to mic for everybody? Mark C.
+1

Mics fit voices like wearing clothes that fit properly. Given that, a few potential candidates

Senn 935/945
Beta 58/86/87
Heil PR35
EV 767/967
AT4100 and I'm sure some others will follow.

• Members

The best mic for under $250 is the one you prefer after trying everything available to you. If you haven't done that yet, you won't know if you found the best mic. There are no rules beyond:

Buy something from a reuptable manufacturer in case you need service.
Buy something durable for a live mic.
Avoid omni unless you play really quiet stages.

I think I am done. everything else is fair game.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
Hey everyone. I know I asked about that Neumman mic a bit back, but I decided to heed your sage advice and not buy that one. Anyway, at my last show I had my old EV ND 767 just up and DIE on me and had to borrow one of the drummer's instrument mics just to get through the rest of the show. Anyway, I love the EV mic, but I also know that the SM58 is industry standard. The Beta58 is considered a step above. and the ND767 is also a mic with a great rep. I am going to head out to Guitar Center this weekend to try them all and any others, but here is my question:

What mics do you guys prefer?

I will make this a poll. If you choose "other" then please, please, please post the mic you chose and why! lol Don't just click the choice.
Maybe the question should be what are some good mics for me to try that are under $250.00 dollars. My answer would be once you've tried them all in the store then you might have a totally different opinion on the gig.

I have SM58's, Beta58's and E835's. I can generally accomplish something with one of those mics. But as you can see there are plenty of others.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
I tried the PR-35 and really did not care for it.

There is no best mic, there are better mics for one application over another but you need to define what your application is and how the stage set-up and acoustics might interact.
I completely understand what you're saying, but I don't have the luxury of trying to buy five different mics and attempt to anticipate which bar gig each one would be optimally suited for. lol Not trying to bust your balls (well, okay, maybe a little wink.gif) but I really need to settle on one vocal mic. I also realize that I have sort of painted myself into the proverbial corner here, because as some have said, there may indeed be "no perfect mic" or everyone would buy that one, right?

Now the equation is further complicated by Shaster's point that once I try out a bunch of mics in the store they may not be the same on gigs.

In short, not trying to be a whining bitch here, but I am now more confused than before I created the thread. lol Thanks a lot, you guys! love.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
I completely understand what you're saying, but I don't have the luxury of trying to buy five different mics and attempt to anticipate which bar gig each one would be optimally suited for. lol Not trying to bust your balls (well, okay, maybe a little wink.gif) but I really need to settle on one vocal mic. I also realize that I have sort of painted myself into the proverbial corner here, because as some have said, there may indeed be "no perfect mic" or everyone would buy that one, right?

Now the equation is further complicated by Shaster's point that once I try out a bunch of mics in the store they may not be the same on gigs.

In short, not trying to be a whining bitch here, but I am now more confused than before I created the thread. lol Thanks a lot, you guys! love.gif
It's not that complicated, really. Just try out a bunch of the mics that are available to you locally, and buy the one that you like best in your price range!

Louis

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse

View Post

Kind of noisy handling, and picked up LF transmitted through their standard clip from the stage.

That's the same issue I have with my PR22. I Imagine it would be somewhat tamer on the PR35. I like the way the PR22 sounds, though. Completely different from Shure.

• Members

Um - I bought a Beta 57 - cause I had heard that they were "all that" - bought it through sweetwater sound. I was not that impressed - compared to those I already had - (SM 58, Beta 58, and Beta 87) - so I sent it back - and got my money back. It was all in good faith - they didn't mind.

• Members
Um - I bought a Beta 57 - cause I had heard that they were "all that" - bought it through sweetwater sound. I was not that impressed - compared to those I already had - (SM 58, Beta 58, and Beta 87) - so I sent it back - and got my money back. It was all in good faith - they didn't mind.

Sorry for your luck. To my ear, they don't sound much different from the Beta 58a, given you stay off them a little. I don't much care for "eating the mic", so they work for me.

• Members

Sorry for your luck. To my ear, they don't sound much different from the Beta 58a, given you stay off them a little. I don't much care for "eating the mic", so they work for me.

No worries. That was when I was looking for a "golden bullet" - hoping some "Mic" would magically make me sound "better".

My "new" opinion is that the best thing you can hope for is a "decent mic" - and a "really good" sound tech.

What I was saying though - is that buying a mic that you "think" you want - is not really that scary - if it turns out you "don't" "like it" - you can "send it back".

• Members

Our local area stores wont take mics back. (hygiene thing). Most have "demo mics" that you can try at the store,,, but when you walk out of the store with one, it's a one-way trip home.

Hmm - yes - I understand the Hygiene Issue. (??) Sweetwater took it back no questions asked. Not sure about Musician's Friend - who I also do a lot of business with.

Archived