How could i mic this (ukulele content)

• Members

Howdy Guyses and Gals!

I have a little predicament.(spelling)

I run an open mic night, very small stage space, venue capacity around 50 - 60 people. I am currently using a small yamaha mixer into a fender passport 250. Not huge on volume. I run 2 acoustics and 3mics through it currently.

Thing is, next week, i have to accomodate an acoustic ukulele group, around 5 ukists!!
I have a cardiod mic, could i/should i attempt that some where in the middle? bear in mind i dont have loads of inputs. I dont think it would be audible enough acoustically?

Apologies, my spelling sucks todays, trying to write this all before i go back to work.

Cheers thumb.gif

• Members

Cheers Flogger thumb.gif

There wil be at least one singer. That sounds like an easy enough fix then, ive only got sm58's, I take it i would have to boost the gain to compensate for the distance. Or coould my MXL cardiod mic maybe do the trick?

Apologies, im a live sound/mic noob. But i am learning, thanks to this fine forum thumb.gif

• Members

If you had access to something like the AT2020, I would put two or three in front of the ukes and use an sm58 on the vocal. I've used the AT2020's for similar situations and they're pretty good IMHO. Not as "good" as my AT4050 but at a fraction of the cost I wouldn't expect it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Shaster

View Post

If you had access to something like the AT2020, I would put two or three in front of the ukes and use an sm58 on the vocal. I've used the AT2020's for similar situations and they're pretty good IMHO. Not as "good" as my AT4050 but at a fraction of the cost I wouldn't expect it.

For the condensor approach, I'd try the old Bluegrass standby, an AT 3035 and the One-Mic dance.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Tomm Williams View Post
For the condensor approach, I'd try the old Bluegrass standby, an AT 3035 and the One-Mic dance.
If the band had a solid blend and were loud enough this could (and has) worked. I just know I would rather have a couple of mics just in case.

I did a string trio a few months back with two C1000 clones (Apex). It worked well but I was glad I went with two even though their mix was good.

Of course the other problem is that the AT3035 looks like it's discontinued and the stores seem to be recommending the AT2035 or the AT2020 as possible replacements. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AT3035

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ser-microphone

• Members

I have done a "uke" band many times. With anything up to 30-40 players. They all sing but there is a couple of main singers. I simply put a Rode NT3 condenser out the front (or multiple if needed) and away we go. Must be careful with feedback. Other than that it works, sounds great and works well and is very easy. The singers simply stand up the front when it is their part.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm Williams

View Post

This will only work acceptably IF the band is tuned into this approach. Otherwise, it's likely to be a gig you wish to forget about as soon a spossible.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm Williams

View Post

Will only work well IF the band is willing and able to execute this approach. Otherwise it will be a gig you will want to forget pretty quickly.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
Will only work well IF the band is willing and able to execute this approach. Otherwise it will be a gig you will want to forget pretty quickly.
Also, might I add the feedback issues that can arise with large diaphragm condensers in monitors, and front of house. Especially with people not used to dealing
with this issue.
With the suggested dynamic 57/58 idea this is less likely to be an issue for the application.

Archived