Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How could i mic this (ukulele content)

Howdy Guyses and Gals!

I have a little predicament.(spelling)

I run an open mic night, very small stage space, venue capacity around 50 - 60 people. I am currently using a small yamaha mixer into a fender passport 250. Not huge on volume. I run 2 acoustics and 3mics through it currently.

Thing is, next week, i have to accomodate an acoustic ukulele group, around 5 ukists!!

I have a cardiod mic, could i/should i attempt that some where in the middle? bear in mind i dont have loads of inputs. I dont think it would be audible enough acoustically?

Apologies, my spelling sucks todays, trying to write this all before i go back to work.

Cheers
    Wanna See the Original 70s Fender Starcaster re-issued?
    Sign the Petition!! link below (takes less than a minute, and its FREE! just skip the donation page) Do it!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/fender70sstarcaster/

Thanks for all your support so far!
    Signature count = 713!!! (26/Sept/2011)

Are there singers in the uke band? If not, put two or three mics at uke height spaced so that everyone gets covered at maybe a foot or so out.
    Originally Posted By Trace-P38
    Flogger wins.

Originally Posted by Uma Floresta View Post
    Because we floggers won the music war some time ago.

Originally Posted by Mike Riley View Post
    Preaching to the choir Rush in on a whole different level to quote a movie You might listen to Rush but you cant here Rush

http://www.box.net/shared/x85lhnst14

Comment

Cheers Flogger

There wil be at least one singer. That sounds like an easy enough fix then, ive only got sm58's, I take it i would have to boost the gain to compensate for the distance. Or coould my MXL cardiod mic maybe do the trick?

Apologies, im a live sound/mic noob. But i am learning, thanks to this fine forum
      Wanna See the Original 70s Fender Starcaster re-issued?
      Sign the Petition!! link below (takes less than a minute, and its FREE! just skip the donation page) Do it!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/fender70sstarcaster/

Thanks for all your support so far!
      Signature count = 713!!! (26/Sept/2011)

Comment

I would put an SM-57 on each Uke and one (58) for the vocalist and call it a day.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

With this small of a room and group, I'd mic the vocals and let the instruments carry on their own.

Comment

If you had access to something like the AT2020, I would put two or three in front of the ukes and use an sm58 on the vocal. I've used the AT2020's for similar situations and they're pretty good IMHO. Not as "good" as my AT4050 but at a fraction of the cost I wouldn't expect it.

Comment

57's all around, 58's on vocals. Bring lots of mic stands
              www.rock-bot.com
              Live-Band-Karaoke

bassist and sound reinforcement

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Shaster
                View Post

If you had access to something like the AT2020, I would put two or three in front of the ukes and use an sm58 on the vocal. I've used the AT2020's for similar situations and they're pretty good IMHO. Not as "good" as my AT4050 but at a fraction of the cost I wouldn't expect it.

For the condensor approach, I'd try the old Bluegrass standby, an AT 3035 and the One-Mic dance.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm Williams
                  View Post

For the condensor approach, I'd try the old Bluegrass standby, an AT 3035 and the One-Mic dance.

If the band had a solid blend and were loud enough this could (and has) worked. I just know I would rather have a couple of mics just in case.

I did a string trio a few months back with two C1000 clones (Apex). It worked well but I was glad I went with two even though their mix was good.

Of course the other problem is that the AT3035 looks like it's discontinued and the stores seem to be recommending the AT2035 or the AT2020 as possible replacements. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AT3035

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ser-microphone

Comment

I have done a "uke" band many times. With anything up to 30-40 players. They all sing but there is a couple of main singers. I simply put a Rode NT3 condenser out the front (or multiple if needed) and away we go. Must be careful with feedback. Other than that it works, sounds great and works well and is very easy. The singers simply stand up the front when it is their part.

Comment

View Post

This will only work acceptably IF the band is tuned into this approach. Otherwise, it's likely to be a gig you wish to forget about as soon a spossible.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Comment

View Post

Will only work well IF the band is willing and able to execute this approach. Otherwise it will be a gig you will want to forget pretty quickly.

Comment

I just have to ask, how do you mic a burning uke? Cause that's the only good one. ;-)
                          Phil Clark

FOH/Monitor Mixer - Sound On Site

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse
                            View Post

Will only work well IF the band is willing and able to execute this approach. Otherwise it will be a gig you will want to forget pretty quickly.

Also, might I add the feedback issues that can arise with large diaphragm condensers in monitors, and front of house. Especially with people not used to dealing

with this issue.

With the suggested dynamic 57/58 idea this is less likely to be an issue for the application.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark
                              View Post

I just have to ask, how do you mic a burning uke? Cause that's the only good one. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k

"We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

Comment

Working...
                              X