JBL SRX 715

• Members

Is the reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a pair of PRX615's or DSR 15's because some open box SRX715's have presented themselves to me at $699 a piece? While I haven't missed hauling the amp rack around, I also haven't sold it. Would my Peavey GPS 3500 (775/channel @ 8 ohms) be enough to power a pair of these? I already have the XLF's and a pair of SR4726's but at half the weight these SRX's would sure be sweet! Thoughts?

• Members

The SRX715 is my favorite top over sub speaker. Although I genuinely like the sound of both the PRX615 and the DSR115, I think neither one can hold a candle to the SRX715. I believe that a single pair of SRX715's would even be enough to go over 4 XLF's should you need more rig later.

That is a good price too.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jlb

View Post

2 ,715's and 4, 718's is the rig I use for the majority of my shows. It is a nice scalable system. Much more so than the 725/728 rig that everyone seems to think is superior.

yep thats our main system never any complaints and one person can just about put the system up.

• Members

Picked up the 715's tonight....out the door for $1373 (one speaker has a very small dent in the grill that i should be able to take care of). Can't wait to hook them up tomorrow and give them a listen! Sold one of my GPS 3500's today as well, if the buyer wants the other one as well, would the QSC GX7 be a decent (lighter weight) replacement to power these speakers?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by djerickson

View Post

Is the reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a pair of PRX615's or DSR 15's because some open box SRX715's have presented themselves to me at $699 a piece? While I haven't missed hauling the amp rack around, I also haven't sold it. Would my Peavey GPS 3500 (775/channel @ 8 ohms) be enough to power a pair of these? I already have the XLF's and a pair of SR4726's but at half the weight these SRX's would sure be sweet! Thoughts?

I think you are going to love them smile.gif

• Members

Played with the speakers out in the garage today for several hours at probably 10% of their potential but everything is sounding great and at half the weight of my SR's they were a pleasure to move around. My son noticed there was a slight difference in the finish of the two speakers, one has a slightly smoother finish to the protective coating than the other. I figured it was a just a variation in the finishing stage of the speaker assembly and then today I checked the jack plate and realized one of the speakers was made in the USA and the other was made in Mexico. I didn't realize the production of the SRX line had also shifted to Mexico? One of the speakers had been at my local shop for a year or two and the other speaker came from a store a couple hours away so I don't know how long they had it in stock. Did anything change with the production being moved out of the country? Is this anything I should be concerned about?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by djerickson

View Post

Played with the speakers out in the garage today for several hours at probably 10% of their potential but everything is sounding great and at half the weight of my SR's they were a pleasure to move around. My son noticed there was a slight difference in the finish of the two speakers, one has a slightly smoother finish to the protective coating than the other. I figured it was a just a variation in the finishing stage of the speaker assembly and then today I checked the jack plate and realized one of the speakers was made in the USA and the other was made in Mexico. I didn't realize the production of the SRX line had also shifted to Mexico? One of the speakers had been at my local shop for a year or two and the other speaker came from a store a couple hours away so I don't know how long they had it in stock. Did anything change with the production being moved out of the country? Is this anything I should be concerned about?

Harmon shutdown the Woodbury, N.Y. and Northridge plant in June 2010. Thus ended the Made in U.S.A. logo. There is a plant in Mexico owned by Harmon and has produced parts for JBL for 30years. You can research it all online.

• Members

First gig (so to speak) with the SRX715's last night. Provided music for the local animal rescue's annual benefit party. I thought the JBL's sounded and looked fantastic! Spent more time out in front of my rig than ever before. Several positive comments about the new speakers. Wasn't able to crank things up very much and the Crown XS500 I was using for power sat with the attenuators parked at about Noon most of the night. Used the JBL adjustable poles with the 'XLF subs and really liked them, although they screwed in fairly hard and I was a bit worried about cross-threading them. One thing that concerned me was the pole cup (I used the standard mounting, not the 10 degree tilt) on the 715's wasn't very deep and only allowed the mounting pole in about 3-4 inches. Seemed a bit shallow and I kept thinking it wasn't going in all the way, but after checking it several times apparently that's how it was designed. Loved the light weight of the 715's and can't wait to exercise them a bit more Friday night when I'm providing sound for a local school dance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Second gig with the 715's was DJ'ing a Middle School dance the other night. Nice large commons area at the school and a better chance to crank things up and see how they sound. Had the 715's mounted above the XLF's with the JBL poles (expensive, but love 'em!) set up about 15 feet apart. First thing I noticed was how the narrower beam of the SRX horn made itself evident as I strolled around on the dance floor. It was easy to walk out of the stereo field when I was 30 feet out on the dance floor. I hadn't noticed this at the first gig as it was in a much larger hall. At gigs with a smaller, closer dance floor would a bit more toe in of the tops be recommended? I used the Crown amp again (400 watts/channel) and while feeding it just above a 0-+3db signal the attenuators never made it past 12 o'clock to get the volume where I wanted it. The XLF's hit the clip light at the same line level with their attenuators at about 1 o'clock. With it being suggested that the SRX's can easily handle double the power I'm giving them, am I looking to add at least another pair of XLF's (or two) for the low end to keep up? My Mackie 450's seemed a good match with the XLF's for medium sized indoor gigs, perhaps an eye to CL for some used 728's might be just what these tops need for larger/outdoor affairs. Thoughts?.....and thanks for the feedback!

• Members

Once and a while I get some dancing breaking out at these events so it's nice to have a couple fun lights to turn on. The Colorbank 8's (discontinued) are 8 - 50 watts bulbs with colored gels that can be linked together and they fit easily in an onstage bag with cords and linking cable. They go great with my par 38 stands and make for a fun and easy to set up light show.

• Members

As I stated earlier, I think that a pair of SRX715's would be a very nice match for 4 XLF's wink.gif This is particularly true if you are playing hip hop music. Additionally, the cross-over within the XLF's is set at 90Hz which I think is perfect for using the SRX715's as tops.

I guess I had never noticed the beaming you mentioned. Anyone else?

• Members

The one minor thing is that you're designing your system around an active setup but keep going back to passive tops. Maybe the increase in performance is worth it, maybe not. At this point either stup up to a better passive rig or stay at prx level for both tops and subs. Mixing may prove to be a pita over time.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Unalaska

View Post

The one minor thing is that you're designing your system around an active setup but keep going back to passive tops. Maybe the increase in performance is worth it, maybe not. At this point either stup up to a better passive rig or stay at prx level for both tops and subs. Mixing may prove to be a pita over time.

Seems like a pretty good rig to me. Why would it be a PITA?

Archived