Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

3-way Mystery cabinets....what are these?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-way Mystery cabinets....what are these?

Cabinets supposedly house a 15, 10, and a large horn. Look familiar to anyone? Thanks.

Man! The pics are too small to see any detail.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by gonzobassman
      View Post

Man! The pics are too small to see any detail.

+1

Comment

Having trouble getting the phot's to save any larger!? http://appleton.craigslist.org/wan/3400971978.html

Comment

If you have the drivers, $300 seems like a steal for raw cabinets. Even just getting something from Parts Express would probably get you by. The horn I would be a bit more particular about.

Comment

Don't recognize, but IMO not good for anything but firewood
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

If it is particle board burn it.

Calculate the internal dimensions of the chambers and post on PartsExpress live sound board for ideas on what to fill it with.

Like most manufactured goods parts are much more expensive than the whole, It will not be worth much when you are done but you can learn a great deal about speakers by going through the process.
              The wheel is an extension of the foot

Comment

They look like older Meyer boxes, but I wouldn't recommend you buy a bunch of unloaded cabinets unless you happen to already have a pile of drivers that you're not doing anything with.

Comment

These were built in the day when a lot of people were rolling their own cabs. Even after you find a suitable horn and load them with drivers, install a custom crossover (or Triamp them) I doubt they'd be worthy of lugging them around. Unfortunately I'd recommend burning them.
                  www.rock-bot.com
                  Live-Band-Karaoke

bassist and sound reinforcement

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Mogwix
                    View Post

They look like older Meyer boxes, but I wouldn't recommend you buy a bunch of unloaded cabinets unless you happen to already have a pile of drivers that you're not doing anything with.

Meyer never used those plastic corners and the plastic bar handles. The port diameters (and lengths) look way too small for any modern driver as well, face velocity would be way too high and it will chuff.

Burn them, they look like home made junk. Even if you have drivers, I can think of many better uses for them than loading in old school, home made boxes.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Comment

Those are an hour south of me. Definitely home rolled. If you wanted to cut out the face plates and revamp them they would be ok. Personally I cant stand those plastic corners cause then always crack and break. The monitors could be made into something useful. Offer him 200.00. I dont think there are a lot of DIY guys on craigslist willing to take this project on.

If I had a pole shed I would consider them. I could hear my wife...what are you gonna do with those? I have two packed trailers and half my garage filled with cabs, and a boat to boot. She is not happy she cant park her car in the garage.

Like I said I need a pole shed. You can buy the hardware on those cabs for less then 300.00 for sure.

Comment

There's not more than $100 worth of hardware on those cabinet in reality. The corners are minimal, the handles are plastic $5/ea and the input plates are maybe $10 each. To get them up and running, you would also need grilles, so add another $35-40 per box. Even though I probably have all of the necessary parts sitting here on the shelves, it wouldn't be worth the effort IMO.

Oh, I bet they would be heavy as hell too.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse
                          View Post

There's not more than $100 worth of hardware on those cabinet in reality. The corners are minimal, the handles are plastic $5/ea and the input plates are maybe $10 each. To get them up and running, you would also need grilles, so add another $35-40 per box. Even though I probably have all of the necessary parts sitting here on the shelves, it wouldn't be worth the effort IMO.

Oh, I bet they would be heavy as hell too.

They are gone already. They went quick.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy
                            View Post

They are gone already. They went quick.

It is fireplace season after all

Comment

If they were actually purchased by anyone I am amazed. Maybe the ad timed out.

Comment

Working...
                              X