Bluegrass mic

• Members

I have a friend who's looking to microphone for live bluegrass sessions that will accommodate several musicians at the same time. He has little knowledge about the subject and asked my help, which is limited in this area. The folks I've talked to at the major chains have suggested condensers; one suggested an omni pattern but after reading up and talking to another store tech a cardioid pattern makes more sense as an omni could pick up crowd noise. I'm looking at a Rode NT1000, Rode NT1a, AKG C214 and sE 2200 II. The sE 2200 offers multipaterns (omni, cardioid and figure 8). Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Steve.

• Members

A small-diaphragm condensor will have more even frequency response on the sides, which is usually what you'd want for that approach. The AT 4033 is in fact a small-diaphragm, but looks like the traditional "big mic". So that's why it's a popular mic for the bluegrass thing.

• Members

In addition to the 4033, the 3035 is also widely used. Though discontinued, they can be found easily around the $100.00 mark. I have a pair of them I use for exactly what you describe, they are excellent.

From there, it's a matter of finding the sweet spot between the group and if they even know how to do the one-mic-dance. Works quite well in the right situation.

• Members

I have a friend who's looking to microphone for live bluegrass sessions that will accommodate several musicians at the same time. He has little knowledge about the subject and asked my help, which is limited in this area. The folks I've talked to at the major chains have suggested condensers; one suggested an omni pattern but after reading up and talking to another store tech a cardioid pattern makes more sense as an omni could pick up crowd noise. I'm looking at a Rode NT1000, Rode NT1a, AKG C214 and sE 2200 II. The sE 2200 offers multipaterns (omni, cardioid and figure 8). Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Steve.

+1 on the Audio Technica 4033. I have used this mic for many BG musicians. Not all BG bands like the one mic idea. If you purchase this mic then take a few extra bucks

and purchase the large windscreen for it as well. Those diaphragms dont like saliva/spit/water etc, and are VERY sensitive to wind, and can be damaged by wind.

Picture this... a guy takes a swig of beer, pop, mixed drink etc then spits all over your AT 4033. Get the idea? :D

Archived