Electro voice elx passive

• Members

Hey i am seriously looking at the EV ELX passive speakers and was wondering about my amps would they be too much or not enough to run there and be safe. I have a Behringer ep4000 running in stereo @4 ohms each side, and then for subs i have a Behringer epx2000 running my subs Bridged. I was wondering would these be enough to run these speakers or would i need more power. Thanks .

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy View Post
Are you saying you would want to run the EV loudspeakers on the EP4000 in stereo? That amp is rated @ 550wpc @ 8ohms? If this is the case your good to go
to use the EP4000 to drive the EV ELX loudspeakers. These amps are basically QSC clones if you open them up.
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/vi...=8033&start=30
I am planning on using them 2 speakers in each channel. I am planning on getting 4 of them in all.

• Members

Its always hard to work out how many watts those things are... I thought the 4000 put out 2000BW (Behringer watts) @ 2ohm. Which, with a bit of guesswork, is appr 1200 BW @ 4 ohm... Converting from Behringer Watts to RMS is somewhere between half and 2/3 which means its putting out 600-800w RMS. If you're talking the ELX 115 - I think it claims RMS at 400w, so that is ok. The 12 inch is 250w so you're on the high side. But probably not too bad.

As for the subs, thats 2000BW bridged @4. With the half to 2/3 rule you're looking at 1000-1200 which is on the high side for 2 subs with an RMS of 400w.

I'm not sure how the passives go, but i cant complain at all about the actives - and the subs are light which you'll love.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by heath_eld View Post
Its always hard to work out how many watts those things are... I thought the 4000 put out 2000BW (Behringer watts) @ 2ohm. Which, with a bit of guesswork, is appr 1200 BW @ 4 ohm... Converting from Behringer Watts to RMS is somewhere between half and 2/3 which means its putting out 600-800w RMS. If you're talking the ELX 115 - I think it claims RMS at 400w, so that is ok. The 12 inch is 250w so you're on the high side. But probably not too bad.

As for the subs, thats 2000BW bridged @4. With the half to 2/3 rule you're looking at 1000-1200 which is on the high side for 2 subs with an RMS of 400w.

I'm not sure how the passives go, but i cant complain at all about the actives - and the subs are light which you'll love.
so is that 1000 -1200 watts per cabinet and 600 - 800 rms per cabinet?

• Members

I won't get into the *B* discussion....
But I will comment on the ELX passive speakers.
I used a pair of the ELX115 cabinets as monitors a few weeks ago powered by a QSC PLX3402 (1-per channel) and I was very impressed with the sound quality and the output of this cab.
Being used as a monitor I ran absolutely ZERO eq on them and had no feedback issues at all.....I have never been able to do that with a passive cabinet while getting useable volume out of them.
They have a very natural flat response, great sounding cab.....and pretty light for how big they are.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Vinny D View Post
I won't get into the *B* discussion....
But I will comment on the ELX passive speakers.
I used a pair of the ELX115 cabinets as monitors a few weeks ago powered by a QSC PLX3402 (1-per channel) and I was very impressed with the sound quality and the output of this cab.
Being used as a monitor I ran absolutely ZERO eq on them and had no feedback issues at all.....I have never been able to do that with a passive cabinet while getting useable volume out of them.
They have a very natural flat response, great sounding cab.....and pretty light for how big they are.

I know the active ones get a lot of rave reviews and comes highly recommended on here a lot.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Musicman717

View Post

so is that 1000 -1200 watts per cabinet and 600 - 800 rms per cabinet?

You're talking about 2 tops per side and 2 subs per side right - So you'd get approximately 600-800w per channel on the tops (so 300-400 per box). The subs will see 500-600 per box. On the high side...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse

View Post

I call bs on this. One look at the pictures says everything. Different layouts, different parts does not make a clone. Poor copy maybe but a poor copy of a QSC is not equal to a QSC.

I have to agree with aged on this one. a clone is everything looks and sounds like the original, There is a big difference between the two amps mentioned here.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by heath_eld

View Post

You're talking about 2 tops per side and 2 subs per side right - So you'd get approximately 600-800w per channel on the tops (so 300-400 per box). The subs will see 500-600 per box. On the high side...

2 per side on the tops only, not the subs, I have two subs on one EPX2000 amp an 2 on another EPX2000 amp. The sub amps are bridged.

• Members

We use these for our mains or monitors, depending on the size of venue. As a monitor, they sound so much better than our JBL wedges. I really love the sound quality for such small speakers. Low feedback issues at high volumes really make these ideal for monitors. As for our mains in array, they match pretty much with our QSC's tonality wise, so if we ever need them for an array, they work great and of course, they work and sound great on their own for FOH. Our other speaks are QSC HPR 153i's and HPR 181i's. Next to the 153's these are a perfect match for a small speaker. Eventually will want to go with those exclusively for the monitors and get rid of the JBL wedges. They can get loud, too, but they lack in bass response compared to the EV's. Would like to pick up at least one ELX 115 for a small drum monitor. Love EV stuff and always have, really.
My advice, the week link in your system is the Beheringer gear. The other thing you might want to consider is a 31 band EQ per channel for monitors just in case there is a weird room where the reflections are creating feedback.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by djiceman1575 View Post
The site says 94dB, but that doesn't sound right at all...
i looked on musicians friend and here is what it says ,m All of it looks like greek to me but thats because i dont know what all of it means , in terms of is it a good speaker or not , a lot of times i just go by the name on the cabinet. facepalm.gif

Axial Sensitivity: 95 dB
Case Material: 9-ply, 15mm Plywood, Internally Braced, with Texured Paint
Frequency Response (-3 dB): 75 Hz - 18 k Hz
Frequency Response (-10 dB): 50 Hz - 20 k Hz
Recommended High-Pass Frequency: 40 Hz
Max. SPL/1m (calc): 134 dB
Speaker: (1) EVS-15K, 15 inch Woofer
High freq transducer: DH-1K, 1.5 inch Titanium Diaphragm Compression Driver
Crossover Frequency: 1.7 k Hz
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
Connector Type: Dual NL4 Speakon
Grill: 18GA Steel with Black Powdercoat
Dimensions(HxWxD): 27.87 x 17.01 x 15.04 inches
Weight: 50.71 lbs

• Members

I use the powered versions, and for the price, they sound great. The specs you posted were for the 15", but they're pretty close. For smaller size stuff, properly powered, the ELX's will get you by with no problem, and they have the flattest response I've heard out of a "cheaper" loudspeaker...the passive may have some variation, but probably not a lot.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by djiceman1575

View Post

I use the powered versions, and for the price, they sound great. The specs you posted were for the 15", but they're pretty close. For smaller size stuff, properly powered, the ELX's will get you by with no problem, and they have the flattest response I've heard out of a "cheaper" loudspeaker...the passive may have some variation, but probably not a lot.

yeah the 15" 's is what i am thinking about getting. if i am not mistaken the passives are 400W continuous to 1600W Peak, so what size amp in watts would i need different from the ones already posted?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
Peak means nothing.

Power at about 1.5x the continuous rating and you are pretty good provided you don't do stupid things.
so if i got a speaker continuous rating at 400W then i can put 800w through it? right? I have always been told to keep my rms watts right along that 1.5x or 2x rate.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Musicman717 View Post
so if i got a speaker continuous rating at 400W then i can put 800w through it? right? I have always been told to keep my rms watts right along that 1.5x or 2x rate.
You can but that was not my suggestion. I would not go beyond 1.5x the RMS rating and that might be too much under some conditions.

The less you know, low less the margin for error.

Archived