Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Electro voice elx passive

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Electro voice elx passive

    Hey i am seriously looking at the EV ELX passive speakers and was wondering about my amps would they be too much or not enough to run there and be safe. I have a Behringer ep4000 running in stereo @4 ohms each side, and then for subs i have a Behringer epx2000 running my subs Bridged. I was wondering would these be enough to run these speakers or would i need more power. Thanks .

  • #2
    Are you saying you would want to run the EV loudspeakers on the EP4000 in stereo? That amp is rated @ 550wpc @ 8ohms? If this is the case your good to go

    to use the EP4000 to drive the EV ELX loudspeakers. These amps are basically QSC clones if you open them up.

    http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/vi...=8033&start=30

    Comment


    • #3






      Quote Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy
      View Post

      Are you saying you would want to run the EV loudspeakers on the EP4000 in stereo? That amp is rated @ 550wpc @ 8ohms? If this is the case your good to go

      to use the EP4000 to drive the EV ELX loudspeakers. These amps are basically QSC clones if you open them up.

      http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/vi...=8033&start=30




      I am planning on using them 2 speakers in each channel. I am planning on getting 4 of them in all.

      Comment


      • #4






        Quote Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy
        View Post

        These amps are basically QSC clones if you open them up.

        http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/vi...=8033&start=30




        I call bs on this. One look at the pictures says everything. Different layouts, different parts does not make a clone. Poor copy maybe but a poor copy of a QSC is not equal to a QSC.

        Comment


        • #5
          Its always hard to work out how many watts those things are... I thought the 4000 put out 2000BW (Behringer watts) @ 2ohm. Which, with a bit of guesswork, is appr 1200 BW @ 4 ohm... Converting from Behringer Watts to RMS is somewhere between half and 2/3 which means its putting out 600-800w RMS. If you're talking the ELX 115 - I think it claims RMS at 400w, so that is ok. The 12 inch is 250w so you're on the high side. But probably not too bad.



          As for the subs, thats 2000BW bridged @4. With the half to 2/3 rule you're looking at 1000-1200 which is on the high side for 2 subs with an RMS of 400w.



          I'm not sure how the passives go, but i cant complain at all about the actives - and the subs are light which you'll love.

          Comment


          • #6






            Quote Originally Posted by heath_eld
            View Post

            Its always hard to work out how many watts those things are... I thought the 4000 put out 2000BW (Behringer watts) @ 2ohm. Which, with a bit of guesswork, is appr 1200 BW @ 4 ohm... Converting from Behringer Watts to RMS is somewhere between half and 2/3 which means its putting out 600-800w RMS. If you're talking the ELX 115 - I think it claims RMS at 400w, so that is ok. The 12 inch is 250w so you're on the high side. But probably not too bad.



            As for the subs, thats 2000BW bridged @4. With the half to 2/3 rule you're looking at 1000-1200 which is on the high side for 2 subs with an RMS of 400w.



            I'm not sure how the passives go, but i cant complain at all about the actives - and the subs are light which you'll love.




            so is that 1000 -1200 watts per cabinet and 600 - 800 rms per cabinet?

            Comment


            • #7
              I won't get into the *B* discussion....

              But I will comment on the ELX passive speakers.

              I used a pair of the ELX115 cabinets as monitors a few weeks ago powered by a QSC PLX3402 (1-per channel) and I was very impressed with the sound quality and the output of this cab.

              Being used as a monitor I ran absolutely ZERO eq on them and had no feedback issues at all.....I have never been able to do that with a passive cabinet while getting useable volume out of them.

              They have a very natural flat response, great sounding cab.....and pretty light for how big they are.
              <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/VP-Pro-Sound/154678147927641" target="_blank">https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/VP...54678147927641</a></div>

              Comment


              • #8






                Quote Originally Posted by Vinny D
                View Post

                I won't get into the *B* discussion....

                But I will comment on the ELX passive speakers.

                I used a pair of the ELX115 cabinets as monitors a few weeks ago powered by a QSC PLX3402 (1-per channel) and I was very impressed with the sound quality and the output of this cab.

                Being used as a monitor I ran absolutely ZERO eq on them and had no feedback issues at all.....I have never been able to do that with a passive cabinet while getting useable volume out of them.

                They have a very natural flat response, great sounding cab.....and pretty light for how big they are.






                I know the active ones get a lot of rave reviews and comes highly recommended on here a lot.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I really like my passive 112 for monitor use. I have only used them once for mains but seemed to do a fairly decent job at that.

                  Comment


                  • #10






                    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman717
                    View Post

                    so is that 1000 -1200 watts per cabinet and 600 - 800 rms per cabinet?




                    You're talking about 2 tops per side and 2 subs per side right - So you'd get approximately 600-800w per channel on the tops (so 300-400 per box). The subs will see 500-600 per box. On the high side...

                    Comment


                    • #11






                      Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse
                      View Post

                      I call bs on this. One look at the pictures says everything. Different layouts, different parts does not make a clone. Poor copy maybe but a poor copy of a QSC is not equal to a QSC.




                      I have to agree with aged on this one. a clone is everything looks and sounds like the original, There is a big difference between the two amps mentioned here.

                      Comment


                      • #12






                        Quote Originally Posted by heath_eld
                        View Post

                        You're talking about 2 tops per side and 2 subs per side right - So you'd get approximately 600-800w per channel on the tops (so 300-400 per box). The subs will see 500-600 per box. On the high side...




                        2 per side on the tops only, not the subs, I have two subs on one EPX2000 amp an 2 on another EPX2000 amp. The sub amps are bridged.

                        Comment


                        • #13






                          Quote Originally Posted by Musicman717
                          View Post

                          2 per side on the tops only, not the subs, I have two subs on one EPX2000 amp an 2 on another EPX2000 amp. The sub amps are bridged.




                          Well, 2 subs per bridged channel? Thats what i meant.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            We use these for our mains or monitors, depending on the size of venue. As a monitor, they sound so much better than our JBL wedges. I really love the sound quality for such small speakers. Low feedback issues at high volumes really make these ideal for monitors. As for our mains in array, they match pretty much with our QSC's tonality wise, so if we ever need them for an array, they work great and of course, they work and sound great on their own for FOH. Our other speaks are QSC HPR 153i's and HPR 181i's. Next to the 153's these are a perfect match for a small speaker. Eventually will want to go with those exclusively for the monitors and get rid of the JBL wedges. They can get loud, too, but they lack in bass response compared to the EV's. Would like to pick up at least one ELX 115 for a small drum monitor. Love EV stuff and always have, really.

                            My advice, the week link in your system is the Beheringer gear. The other thing you might want to consider is a 31 band EQ per channel for monitors just in case there is a weird room where the reflections are creating feedback.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Ok , what size amp would i need to run these speakers?

                              Comment



                              Working...
                              X