Nice thread of power amps

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by soundman11 View Post
i have a crown 460 csl power amp and channel 2 dose not work. I switched the inputs so input 1 goes to 2 and the other way and channel 2 worked and channel 1 did not. I think its some thing on the input board, can anyone help me find what's wrong
I found a schematic online. It appears the 1/4 TRS
connector from each channel goes through ciruitry to balance, and an op amp is
involved. Suspect you might have broken one of the solder connections from
the 1/4 input jack to the PCB on Channel 2, or the balanced input circuitry has
a failure. Suspect the mechanical first, and that means the 1/4 jack solder connections to the input balanced PCB on channel 2.
Here is where I downloaded the schematic.
Maybe Aged H can tune in on this with some input.

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download...CSL%20460.html

• CMS Author
thanks for the help guys I'll see if it's the 1/4 trs connecter first.i also switched the ic's around from 2 to 1, one at a time and channel on worked with all of channel 2's ic chips
Yes, of course, because the problem is very likely NOT in the amp. You have signal to channel 1, and that works. Channel 2 does not work. You unplug from channel 1, and plug that signal cable to channel 2. Now channel 2 works. You plug the former channel 2 input cable into channel 1, and now there's no signal to channel 1, so you get no sound.

Unplug the cable from the non-working channel, and plug it into some other device...headphone amp, etc, and see if you get sounds.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by soundman11

View Post

thanks for the help guys I'll see if it's the 1/4 trs connecter first.i also switched the ic's around from 2 to 1, one at a time and channel on worked with all of channel 2's ic chips

Just curious, why would you think this was a good idea? How much do you know about how amps work?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by soundman11

View Post

i'm not a pro but i do know some about how amps work and i don't realy care that much if it breaks more because it's about 20 years old and i have others, but if i can get it working again i would be happy.

Then I would suggest that you work on your basic troubleshooting skills first, to determine if the amp is even the problem. What you described does not point to the amp.

• Members
its no the cables i used or the cd player i have tried multiple music sources and the result is the same no sound out of channel 2
Okay, then were you mistaken when you posted this?

i have a crown 460 csl power amp and channel 2 dose not work. I switched the inputs so input 1 goes to 2 and the other way and channel 2 worked and channel 1 did not. I think its some thing on the input board, can anyone help me find what's wrong

It's just that these two posts seem somewhat contradictory. The first post would indicate that the amp was working properly, and the problem lies elsewhere. The second post does not rule out the amp as the source of the problem. It's hard to help troubleshoot a problem with inconsistent info.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by lonotes View Post
Okay, then were you mistaken when you posted this?

It's just that these two posts seem somewhat contradictory. The first post would indicate that the amp was working properly, and the problem lies elsewhere. The second post does not rule out the amp as the source of the problem. It's hard to help troubleshoot a problem with inconsistent info.
I think what he meant is the switching of the inputs was done INTERNAL on the amp. At least that is what I interpreted it to be.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy

View Post

I think what he meant is the switching of the inputs was done INTERNAL on the amp. At least that is what I interpreted it to be.

And that's why I'm asking. It's not at all clear what he has done and what the result has been.

• Members

Not trying to be disrespectful here but...

If you flipped the cables and that indicated that both channels were working just not with a particular input (i.e. original cable one produces sound regardless of either input and original cable two does not produce sound regardless of either input),

A. why wouldn't you think the problem was elsewhere (i.e. input source chain) and not the amp?

B. what would posess someone to open up an amp and perform surgery based on the above?

Sorta like immediately removing a guys appendix just because he says he has a tummy ache, no?

Just sayin,

Stix

• Members

Not trying to be disrespectful here but...

If you flipped the cables and that indicated that both channels were working just not with a particular input (i.e. original cable one produces sound regardless of either input and original cable two does not produce sound regardless of either input),

A. why wouldn't you think the problem was elsewhere (i.e. input source chain) and not the amp?

B. what would posess someone to open up an amp and perform surgery based on the above?

Sorta like immediately removing a guys appendix just because he says he has a tummy ache, no?

Just sayin,

Stix

PS: I know, I've done some pretty strange things in the past that has warranted :facepalm: so who am I to talk!

Archived