Recommended Mic Stands?

• Members

Hey everyone!

I know that everyone has strong opinions on gear like speakers, cabling, amplifiers, lighting, etc., so I would like to get your opinions on mic stands. I have a couple of old, bargain-basement ones and want to grab a few boom stands. It seems that they range from $29.99 and up. Even within brands such as K&M and OnStage there are varying gradations in quality and price.

Is there a specific brand and model within that brand that people would recommend?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Axisplayer

View Post

K&M most anything. All of their gear has held up fairly well for me.

Thanks, Axis, I had a feeling K&M would be a favorite here. Is there a particular model you would recommend in their line? The boom stands all seem to vary in price.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Miko Man View Post
K&M 210/9 B. (Adjustable boom) Mark C.
This is absolutely my recommendation as well. I have 18 of them, and I need to get 6 more sometime. They're easily the best value when you compare price to durability, longevity, repairability, and just plain nice-ness. Those Guitar Center specials aren't remotely in the same class. That's just my opinion though.

They can be found for under $60 each, and they're worth every penny.

The short ones, 259 B is a great short stand. It has the same telescoping boom as the tall ones, only the bottom part is shorter. Same price as the tall one.

The model numbers are sometimes listed as 21090B and 25900B or variations of that depending on the vendor.

• Members

I bought a bunch of dr pros. After 8 yrs and tons of shows they look worn, paint is coming off them bad, the compression fittings all have to be epoxied. Rubber feet are mostly gone. And they are heavier than other stands. I bought them because I could get 10% over cost at the time. I won't buy anymore of any kind unless a great deal comes by.

• Members

The Dr Pros look nice.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post
They can be found for under $60 each, and they're worth every penny.

The short ones, 259 B is a great short stand. It has the same telescoping boom as the tall ones, only the bottom part is shorter. Same price as the tall one.

The model numbers are sometimes listed as 21090B and 25900B or variations of that depending on the vendor.
I haven't seen these stands for under $60.00. I would probably snag about three of them, just because, when or before I get the new PA system. I know that some companies like OnStage sell three packs of their mic stands at a discount, but can't seem to find three packs of these K&M's. Would be cool to snag a three pack of the large booms and one or two of the smaller ones (25900B) with a bag to carry them all in. smile.gif

Thanks for the answers, guys!

• Members

I have a few of the straight Hercules stands with weighted base. I love the one hand clutch to adjust. My first one wore out on me far too fast, but I believe they redesigned as the 2 I have now were made later and have had no issues.

• Members

K&M booms & stands are decent to great (depending on which model you get). Ultimate stands seem to last as well (If you don't mind the horeshoe base, they stack really great too).

We have a couple of Altas studio booms (triangular base) that are battleships. We use these for overheads though (kind of overkill for a vocalist).

• Members

For a while Whirlwind (cable) used to distribute some really nice mic stands for about half the price as K&Ms; great for those on a budget and needed a solid mic stand. I am talking about the ones made by Precision Instruments; they had a solid cast base that held the legs. About two years ago, they switch manufactures/suppliers and they now use a stamp steal base and the internal bracing is just tack welded and cracks easily. But for $30 stand it lasted much much longer than OnStage

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by KF650SB1000 View Post
*Note: mostly everything from K&M is rebuildable and they sell replacement parts*
This is great to know. I ordered an EV N/D 767 and two K&M stands (one of the 210/9 and one of the shorter 259's) from Mike Pyle. Should have it all this weekend. When I get my PA, I will probably order a few more of the 210/9's and at least one more of the short 259's.

Thanks for the awesome advice, guys!! smile.gif

• Members

Well, just an update: I got the two stands and the N/D 767 today. Man these stands are freaking beautiful! Anyway, thanks for the great advice, guys! Definitely was a great purchase and when I FINALLY get the new PA, I will make sure to get some more of these and a nice bag for the stands. smile.gif

Archived