need more vocal clarity

• Members

hi guys, in my studio (about 12'x11' room) I use one behringer B1220DSP, high on a speaker stand, they sound good in mid volume. but in a loud band, not very clear even at high volume. I put up enough acoustic panels, so it only gets feedback at ridiculous volume. I wonder If I should get another 12" active speaker ? (Wharferdale Titan12D active comes to mind) . Or will a sub do the trick ? any advice greatly appreciated

• Members

Ditch the Behringer and replace it with a better speaker. A sub has nothing to do with vocal clairity and will probably make it worse. As a rule I high pass most everything except kick, bass (and maybe floor tom) at 100 hz or higher. Possibly too much low end is eating up the few real watts you have. Just a little bottom on stage goes a long way. Too much just turns to mud.

just a thought

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zzzxtreme

View Post

hi guys, in my studio (about 12'x11' room) I use one behringer B1220DSP, high on a speaker stand, they sound good in mid volume. but in a loud band, not very clear even at high volume. I put up enough acoustic panels, so it only gets feedback at ridiculous volume. I wonder If I should get another 12" active speaker ? (Wharferdale Titan12D active comes to mind) . Or will a sub do the trick ? any advice greatly appreciated

Have the band turn down so you can hear the vocal. Try a hypercardioid mic. Those are entry level loudspeakers you are running.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by TimmyP View Post
EQ out the woof from the proximity effect of the vocal mics - cut about 10dB centered about 200Hz.
Oh yeah sure, that's what I would do facepalm.gif

You have no idea what mic he is using, of if proximity effect is the cause. -10dB at 200Hz is, frankly, rediculous at best.

• Members

I use one behringer B1220DSP

That's your problem! JBL, EV, Yamaha, QSC, etc. all make some nice powered 12" speakers that will make your vocals sound a lot better without breaking the bank. With the right equipment you should need very little or no EQ.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sibyrnes View Post
That's your problem! JBL, EV, Yamaha, QSC, etc. all make some nice powered 12" speakers that will make your vocals sound a lot better without breaking the bank. With the right equipment you should need very little or no EQ.
He's in Kuala Lumpur, IDK what the availability of those brands are there but I bet it's all very expensive.

I had the same issue and I tried a different mic, almost instantly it was a lot closer to the sound I wanted. I went from a Shure SM58 to a Sennheiser e935.

• Members

thanks rbts. most bands are fine, just "some" extreme metal band has super loud drummer, those are not my priority.but I just bought one cheap samson D412 as backup, need your guys input on whether placing it on a stand would be helpful? and where should I put it ?

I really wanted to get a Yamaha DXR12 but only available march next year here. I'm 90% sure to get that too. Friend works for yamaha, so his staff price is about the same as US retail price.

Mic is Audix OM5, Mixer is Yammy MG124CX. I do have a roland preamp I could use, which has 3 band EQ with adjustable frequency if the need arises. This studio is just a hobby of mine, so I really know a lot of nothing :

Here is it is

vMtK8.jpg

3HSN2.jpg

V2BWg.jpg

2vXHj.jpg

xksQo.jpg

• Members

One thing that stands out is that for a loud band where gain before feedback is a struggle, the reflections off of the hard surfaces might be your limiting factor. What I mean by this, is that the mic is picking up all the room noise bouncing off ot the wall behind the singer, as well and the continued reflections. I don't think the mic is the problem, and you have reached critical gain leadingto instability (feedback)

One thing I would recommend is to do whatever you can to acoustically deaden the room. I can't tell if the floor is hard or carpet, but carpet will help, as would a heavy drape on or near the wall behind the singer. In fact the more dead the better for 2 reasons... the first to reduce the energy reflected back into the mic from the hard surfaces and second, to reduce the total amount of unwanted acoustic energy in the room which you are competing against with your vocals.

Be sure the acoustic treatments are not flamable. I don't know what the fire safety codes are where you live, but even if they are not strict, I would hate to see anything go bad.

• Members

thanks agedhorse, the panels are made of "fire resistant rockwool", I'll add more. the floors are carpeted, all walls are made of drywall except one. do you think the positioning of the speaker could be a factor too ?

or maybe put the samson (you could see it on the floor in the first pic) on a speaker stand and put at another corner ?

• Members

Try covering that back wall with acoustic material and see how that works. Also, turning down the band (ie. drummer and guitarist restraint) would also halp greatly. Often it's a combination of things that gets the best results. You know... 10% improvement her, andother 10% there and soon it's all ok.

• Members

Agedhorse said "drummer restraint" - but of course in some situations - it is not permitted to use those two words in the same sentence.

If the drummer is not able to play quieter - then no-one else will be able to play quieter either. Then you need a bigger room - and a bigger sound system - that's all. But don't worry - it's worth it - because nothing is more valuable than a really loud drummer!!

• Members

mic everybody use headphone amp and cans I did this when I live in a apt complex for 4 years except used pods and a e-kit and acoustic panels on the neighbors side of wall in the spare apt bedroom and did a lot of metal sherdding. Which in your case you just mic everybody. Just food for thought for a work around from living in apt complex and never can have enough of room treatment.

Archived