RCF ART722a vs Yorkville EF500p

• Members

I've found a good deal on some RCF 722a's but nothing in terms of the EF500p (I've been looking for months). From all I've read the RCF ART722a's project very well and are very light compared to the Yorkvilles. I have the Yorkville subs right now but I was considering going with the RCF's and using the Yorkville subs (LS801p) with the RCF ART722s for the time being until I can afford the RCF SUB718-AS.

So considering they can play to around the same size crowds which should I go with? Will the RCF provide significantly more sound quality?

• Members

There are not very many speakers in mortal price ranges (ie not Meyer wink.gif ) that can best the 722's IMHO.

I haven't heard the EF500p's, but there are plenty of people here who have. Most consider them .... "harsh" but powerful (and heavy).

I think that the combination of RCF 722a's over Yorkville LS801p's would be a really great sounding rig (and quite powerful).

What kind of a deal are you getting? The 722's normally go for ~ $1700.00 each (more than double what I paid for my pair of Yamaha DSR112's).

• Members

I have the RCF 722a and the passive version of the EF500p (EF508). The RCF is similar in SPL - half the weight (40lbs vs 80lbs) - has a smoother horn - and a broader coverage (the EF500 will array better, but you'll get better solo coverage from the RCF).

• Members

I would have to go RCF as I simply love the sound of RCF speakers. I got to hear a TT system a few weeks ago - holy freakin' sweet! Some of the most beautiful high frequencies I've experienced... The EF500Ps are ultra reliable and loud, but are not what I would consider a sweet sounding box. More of a rock n roll ''in your face'' type speaker, which is fine for many applications, but I honestly have not heard an RCF speaker I didn't like and prefer a smooth hi fi sound to a loud / rip your ears off one.

Al

• Members

Awesome, thanks for all the input.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEng View Post
There are not very many speakers in mortal price ranges (ie not Meyer wink.gif ) that can best the 722's IMHO.

I haven't heard the EF500p's, but there are plenty of people here who have. Most consider them .... "harsh" but powerful (and heavy).

I think that the combination of RCF 722a's over Yorkville LS801p's would be a really great sounding rig (and quite powerful).

What kind of a deal are you getting? The 722's normally go for ~ $1700.00 each (more than double what I paid for my pair of Yamaha DSR112's).
I got quotes for new units right around $1300 each shipped, the Yorkvilles are in the same ballpark in terms of new price.

Quote Originally Posted by flanc View Post
I have the RCF 722a and the passive version of the EF500p (EF508). The RCF is similar in SPL - half the weight (40lbs vs 80lbs) - has a smoother horn - and a broader coverage (the EF500 will array better, but you'll get better solo coverage from the RCF).
Thanks for your input. Have you heard the subs? (SUB 718-AS and LS801p) I have the 801ps and I wonder how the SUB 718-AS stacks up against it. The weight of the 801s are killer!

• Members

The one thing to check with the RCF is you probably will have to run a external crossover with your system as the LS801P uses a filter...not a crossover.
Both are great sounding boxes, and I honestly don't know where people get that the EF500P is harsh sounding....maybe they don't know how to use a EQ..
Anyway, the 801P/500P is a great sounding combo and needs NO additional crossover as they were meant to work together.
If you can handle the weight of the cabs, then this would be the better option IMO.
Also, I don't know where you are looking for pricing on the EF500P...but they can be found much cheaper then what you have listed.
Either cabinet would make a great sounding system, over the years I have moved to having my speakers match (at least in looks), it just looks more *pro* in my book.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Vinny D View Post
The one thing to check with the RCF is you probably will have to run a external crossover with your system as the LS801P uses a filter...not a crossover.
Both are great sounding boxes, and I honestly don't know where people get that the EF500P is harsh sounding....maybe they don't know how to use a EQ..
Anyway, the 801P/500P is a great sounding combo and needs NO additional crossover as they were meant to work together.
If you can handle the weight of the cabs, then this would be the better option IMO.
Also, I don't know where you are looking for pricing on the EF500P...but they can be found much cheaper then what you have listed.
Either cabinet would make a great sounding system, over the years I have moved to having my speakers match (at least in looks), it just looks more *pro* in my book.
Would I absolutely need a crossover or would they work OK until I replace the subs if I got the RCF route?

• Members

You will need a crossover, the 722a does not have one.
It would end up running full range which you would probably push it into it's limiters fast playing heavy/hard rock music through them.
With RCF the crossover network for there systems is built into the sub, Yorkville uses filters on both the subs and the high packs.

• Members

Tough decision but I gave out to the EF500p's. I already have the subs and I got a great price on them. They were also ready to ship and will be here the middle of next week sometime. The RCFs had something going on with availability of their stock for shipping.

I'm sure I'll be happy when I get to hear it next weekend with our first small gig.

• Members

In post #4 Flanc nailed it. If you play wide rooms you may not be thrilled with just a pair of the Yorkies. They project very well, but are beamy (which may be why they can be harsh.... especially close up). The off axis isn't nearly as good as the RCF. That can be a plus or minus depending on the situation as it's great for pattern control, but not if you need a wider pattern than it can deliver.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by vangkm View Post
I'm sure I'll be happy when I get to hear it next weekend with our first small gig.
I'm sure you will to. For a rock/ metal band I'm not sure there's a better powered top in this price range. These are very aggressive and very loud cabs.

I have the unpowered versions (EF-508s) and a actually find their directionality an advantage in clubs. Most of my rooms like the SPLs to taper off the further to the sides of the stage you get. And it's also easier to aim the sound away from the bar area -- always in issue.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mrcpro View Post
I'm sure you will to. For a rock/ metal band I'm not sure there's a better powered top in this price range. These are very aggressive and very loud cabs.

I have the unpowered versions (EF-508s) and a actually find their directionality an advantage in clubs. Most of my rooms like the SPLs to taper off the further to the sides of the stage you get. And it's also easier to aim the sound away from the bar area -- always in issue.
That's a good point about sound dispersion. We will definitely be playing larger places where there is a large space but others in the area may not wish to hear the music full blast. Mostly we're planning on playing small rooms/bars/etc...so they should have no problems filling up those spaces.

I was thinking of picking up 2 pairs of RCFs for monitors though. I'm looking at the ART412a, ART422a, ART312a...what's the best bang/buck? I'm leaning towards one pair of the 412a's and one of the 422a's in case I ever need to use them for mains or if we're in a much smaller place/gig. I'm hoping to make some money back by running/renting the system out as well so the 422a's will be handy for small sound gigs.

• Members

I use RCF 522 over LS801P and it's a great sounding combination. I would imagine the same would be true with the 722 as well. I wouldn't hesitate to get the RCF speakers. I do use an external dsp unit with my combo....makes things easy and the system sounds great.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by vangkm View Post
Tough decision but I gave out to the EF500p's. I already have the subs and I got a great price on them. They were also ready to ship and will be here the middle of next week sometime. The RCFs had something going on with availability of their stock for shipping.

I go out with EF500p speakers and I'm sure you will like them combined with the LS801p subs. I'd keep the subs together and have the 500s on sticks.
The 500s are a tough speaker and if your renting them out its nice to know they can be forgiving if someone makes a mistake or over drives them a little. With the 100hz low cut button on them you don't have to use a crossover. I used to have my 3 knobs on the LS801s straight up and with the EF500p at 12 0'clock as well and it seem to work good for rock type shows.
Give us a gig report when you have used them for awhile.

I would not call them harsh. Take some 300 and 650 hz out of them and they sound quite good.

Dookietwo

EDIT: If you have a 1/3 octive EQ here is some settings you can try. I wouldn't boost above 10k or so but thats just my taste. I use my 4 band parametric in my 01v96 and have the centers at 300 and 650 hz.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...EQ-settings&s=

Archived