Cal-Nevada Weather - wow!

• Members

I just came back from a walk Gortex Baby!!!!!!!!!! the Susan River is getting real close to flooding a few of the streets, more water than I've seen in a very long time. Thanks goodness we live on high ground. Andy, how is your place? you live in a fairly flat area-------------water getting close?

• Members

So how's everybody doing in our part of the country? We got 1" of rain in 20 min. and 3" in the last 12 hours. Not something we (or our soils) are used to dealing with .

I guess we are doing better than N Cal. I did an outdoor festival yesterday....wet but do-able.

• Members

I just came back from a walk
Gortex Baby
!!!!!!!!!! the Susan River is getting real close to flooding a few of the streets, more water than I've seen in a very long time. Thanks goodness we live on high ground. Andy, how is your place? you live in a fairly flat area-------------water getting close?

We are about 4' higher than the surrounding farmland so except for some minor local flooding from runoff we are fine. We received over 3" in 12 hours. Our soils just can't absorb this fast and they were already pretty saturated from the / previous storms. In town they lost some big trees and some power poles.

• Members

There's a pretty scary story about Californian flooding in Scientific American here :

Let's hope that the next occurrence is a long way off.....

Not a ton of rain, but it's ~60 here in Chicago, which is unusually warm for early December!

• Members

So how's everybody doing in our part of the country? We got 1" of rain in 20 min. and 3" in the last 12 hours. Not something we (or our soils) are used to dealing with .

Damn, Andy, 80 deg here in Tucson, could you send some of this our way, forecast is that the El Nino has broken down and we will have no rain this winter, and the Colorado snow pack that we depend on for CAP water is very deficient as well. My dear friends in Humboldt County CA are deluged, wish I could wave the magic wand and relieve you of your H2O torment. Take care man!

• Members

Yup, Phoenix-Scottsdale is beautiful too, but always in need of both rain and snowpack. You guys can get some real downpours as well, I have seen flash flooding in Tucson and have heard about it around Phoenix. At least, after a day or so, it all soaks into the sand. We have a lot of clay here, water doesn't soak so fast ;)

• Members

We had drought here in Central Wisconsin all summer, and the drought continues. VERY mild warm weather for December. It was 44 degrees out today, and we are headed for 55 degrees tomorrow. Last winter was a mild one as well. We can absorb the amounts of rain you have had with no issues. Lots of lakes and rivers, streams, etc. here.

I have not had to use my snowblower once this winter.

This weather is not the norm.

My wife is from Tucson, and has told me about the flooding that comes off the mountain. Mt. Lemon I believe? They have canals where the flood water channels too. They tell the kids DO NOT play in the washes. Homeless people get swept away. The weather has definitely changed since I was a young man.

• Members

It rained once since I moved here (Tempe AZ), for about thirteen seconds, and within about ten minutes the ground was bone dry again -- not a sign of water anywhere. I've got to be selfish and say I'm enjoying the hell out of 80 degree sunny days every single day, especially while I'm job hunting and otherwise unemployed. I've spent more time in the hot tub this month than the rest of my life combined.

Keep the rain for a little while longer.

• Members

It rained once since I moved here (Tempe AZ), for about thirteen seconds, and within about ten minutes the ground was bone dry again -- not a sign of water anywhere. I've got to be selfish and say I'm enjoying the hell out of 80 degree sunny days every single day, especially while I'm job hunting and otherwise unemployed. I've spent more time in the hot tub this month than the rest of my life combined.

Keep the rain for a little while longer.

How much time have you spent there in the summer? ;)

• Members

Big time rain in Reno, NV. Considering it's desert usualy.......woah. They say the Truckee river might flood (this is usualy a spring time occurance). As my dad used to say "A real frog strangler :-)"

Truthfuly, I havent seen the outdoors much lately (other than to make sure my fence was still standing after 100+ mph gusts last night). I'm stuck in holiday production show hell. A kids dance show for 3 days, a semi-pro production of "Miracal on 34th street" for 14 shows (2 per day) and a week of Nut Cracker. I don't know when I'll get to do any Christmas shopping :-).

No flooding yet but more rain to come (of course the TV news telling people to stay home isn't helping the numbers in the theatre either :-(.

• Members

Pretty bad here in Elk Grove, my backyard is semi flooded. There were huge puddles on Florin Rd and I saw a few flooded parking lots. When the sun came out at noon, I decided to go to Santa Rosa. I think I saw maybe 12-15 cars broken down on the road during my trip. Folks told me the town been dead since it started raining.

• Members

Calling for low 60's here in NE Ohio today.

Although I'm not complaining since I won't have the heat installed in the new garage for another 2 weeks.

It's been in the mid-sixties here, through these nasty storms Aged is discussing.

All the leaves on my trees just started changing color in the last day or two (it's December!) and then this happenend. Lots of wet raking to do.

• Members

It's been in the mid-sixties here, through these nasty storms Aged is discussing.

All the leaves on my trees just started changing color in the last day or two (it's December!) and then this happenend. Lots of wet raking to do.

I have a 25 acre hardwood tree farm (cherry and oak). I definately know wet leaves. Oak trees loose their leaves all winter long. My last leaf pickup is in the spring right before I mow grass for the first time.

• Members

How much time have you spent there in the summer?
;)

Believe me, I hear that one a lot. ;)

We just moved here in the beginning of November, so that answer is "none". But I've spent plenty of time in Vegas in July-August, so I know what fun it is to open your door and get punched in the face with heat.

Archived