Need suggestions for wireless keyboard

• Members

I posted this in the Keyboard, Synth and Sampler forum0 but they suggest that I re- post it here:

Here's the deal. I have a steady gig playing keyboard at an upscale restaurant/ bar. I play in the bar.

The restaurant owner wants to have my music piped into the restaurant. He has a satellite radio system that plays jazz throughout both the restaurant and bar when I am not playing. If course, as soon as I start playing, this gets shut off, so the restaurant doesn't hear me.

One solution is one of the wireless systems that they sell for guitars and vocal mics. I don't want to spend the $400 or $500 for this. A friend suggested that I just invest about $50 in a wireless FM transmitter that they sell for iPods or MP3 players. The restaurant can just tune this in on their FM receiver.

Any thoughts? anybody use anything like this?

• Members

The quality and reliability of such $50 wireless FM (broadcast band) units is so sucky that I would be embarrassed to play through one for fear that people would leave out of frustration of figure you to be a hack that doesnlt care about their presentation.

An Audio Technica 2000 series instrument system (transmitter gain will need to be down for keyboard) is probably your best bang for the buck, but considerably over the $50 that you hoped to spend...

• Members

The previous two posts are both good options. If possible I would run a cable from your keyboard line level out to ensure the best reproduction without distortion or loss. There are no $50 options when it comes to new wireless transmitter/receiver units unless you want junk. But you never know, maybe you can snag a deal on eBay. Line 6 makes some nice digital wireless systems like this one below - grab it now, it's at $40 and has 30 minutes left:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X2-Digital-W...-/360521759159

• Members

I can not speak highly enough about the Line 6 G- 50 unit. Works great! But it is $ 400. For me - good quality reliable stuff is totally WORTH the extra money - while poor quality unreliable stuff is worse than having nothing - so do the right thing! When it comes to poor quality unreliable stuff - I am still willing to pay money - TO GET RID OF IT!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by piano39 View Post
A friend suggested that I just invest about $50 in a wireless FM transmitter that they sell for iPods or MP3 players. The restaurant can just tune this in on their FM receiver.

Any thoughts? anybody use anything like this?
Those are made to sit on your dash next to the radio. When you move it 10 feet away it loses reception, and it's a weak signal at best.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse

View Post

If you go hard wired, you will need to transformer isolate it with a pin 1 lifted DI (for mic level out) or a 1:1 isolation transformer (line level out) to eliminate the potential for noise from ground loops.

And even that is probably more than a $50 solution. Definitely more once you include the wire.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by VanHalen View Post
Those are made to sit on your dash next to the radio. When you move it 10 feet away it loses reception, and it's a weak signal at best.
I bought one a long time ago that works at least a block away. My friend had one first and he had selected the same frequency of the oldies station in town. It overpowered the oldies station while I was still down the street.

It looks like this one:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/1810231...Types&var=sbar

But I doubt you can still get that kind. I will add that the sound quality was pretty awful. So powerful and awful but way less than $50. icon_lol.gif

Archived