Poor (almost broke) man's equivalent to the QSC K10???

• Members

I won't be using it for FOH - just as a monitor for my keyboard during gigs (and on only about 25% of the songs during the night). Money's super tight right now- so is there anything out there that I can use as an ASAP temp fix until I can get the K10? I'm not opposed to a Behringer if it'll do the job.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Buy Once , Cry Once....
IE; Don't buy something cheap that you're going to have to replace soon.... you'll end up spending more money than you originally would have, had you just gotten the right product the first time around.

Find a Used or B-Stock K10.
RCF ART 310A -- great option

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GCDEF View Post
The 10" Alto is a great speaker for the money. Surprising amount of bass too.
I heard the 12" Altos the last trip to GC and thought they sounded great too. One of the moderators over in Pro Sound Web gave the 15" version a surprisingly strong positive review.

If it were me I'd go Alto over Behringer, that's for sure. And speaking as a keyboard player, I'd spend the extra $50 and spring for the 12".

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mrcpro View Post
I heard the 12" Altos the last trip to GC and thought they sounded great too. One of the moderators over in Pro Sound Web gave the 15" version a surprisingly strong positive review.

If it were me I'd go Alto over Behringer, that's for sure. And speaking as a keyboard player, I'd spend the extra $50 and spring for the 12".
We were using electronic drums the other night and using the 10" for the drummer's monitor. It was surprising how much low end came out of it. The 12 is probably better for keys, but the 10 does pretty well too.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Rbts View Post
Buy Once - Cry Once.

(Like someone else already said.)
I understand and agree with this idea, but the reality is that he said he needed something now and cannot afford to buy what he wants. Basically he needs a couple of pieces of interim equipment. Seriously, that can't be so difficult to understand. He can't afford what he really wants BUT needs something to get through some shows now. lol I mean no disrespect, but sometimes I see such knee-jerk reactions in this forum instead of actually reading what the OP is asking or assessing his actual needs rather than what we might think his or her needs are.

For the record, ""Buy once, cry once!" may sound like a viable battle cry, and in many cases it is a good way to live. But sometimes people need to buy something that simply works all right while they save for something better.

Edit: I didn't see the shipping on that auction. Look further because lol that seller wants $250.00 for shipping. Hahahaha the things people do to skirt their eBay fees! Check on Craigslist and search all over. I have seen these speakers go for a little more than that for the pair. You just have to be willing to shop around.
This is a perfect example:

Quote Originally Posted by dcastar View Post
Buy Once , Cry Once....
IE; Don't buy something cheap that you're going to have to replace soon.... you'll end up spending more money than you originally would have, had you just gotten the right product the first time around.
He clearly can't afford to buy once, cry once. So, buying twice and crying twice is his only option. My suggestion is since I assume we can take the defendant...oops, I mean the OP at his word, then inexpensive entry-level monitors should be fine for him. I do like your idea of used or B-Stock, but I am guessing that even those alternatives are unworkable for him at this time based on his grudging willingness to even consider Behringer. lol

Mstreck, I would say forget Behringer. Buy something "all right" and used in great condition. This way, you can sell it back pretty close to or for what you paid for it.

What's wrong with something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-EON15P-1...item4abee1ffa7

You can either buy the pair outright for the BIN price of $300.00 or bid on them and see what happens. I love the old Eon's and I think that if you are looking for good sounding and loud active boxes for a lot less money, these are a great option. Check Craigslist as well. I have seen these old Eon's go for pennies on the dollar and I certainly wouldn't expect you to have the complaints about them or possible buyer's remorse you may have with Behringer crap.

Then, when you have saved for your K speakers, you will be able to sell these at very close to or maybe even more than what you paid for them if you score a good deal. Or, perhaps you might keep them as extra monitors or practice gear.

Edit: Okay, forget that listing. The seller apparently wants $250.00 for shipping! Hahahaha the things people do to skirt their eBay fees! Still, you should be able to find these speakers or comparable ones for a reasonably low price. SHOP AROUND. Craigslist, eBay, etc. Look locally. Hell, sometimes Guitar Center's used site can be fantastic and you can find some great deals on shit they want to get rid of. smile.gif

• Members

He has another option - he can wait.

Just my own experience - but - I thought I couldn't wait - and bought a bunch of crap initially - and then when it gave poor results - including being unreliable - eventually - I had to junk it all - and buy better gear. The original purchases just caused frustration - aggrivation - sorrow - and poor results. It was a waste of money. People who don't have much money are the ones who MOST need to be sure not to waste any. Just My 2 cents worth. But - take what you like - and leave the rest!!

Heck - I still had the box and the packing - and the original manual - and took my Behringer Mixer to a PAWN SHOP to sell - and they flat out turned me down - wouldn't give me a nickle for it. (I know this guy isn't talking about mixers) - but just saying.

I also have totally sworn off of buying used sound equipment - for the same reason - too much uncertinty about how it has been treated - and ending up with a bunch of "problems" - that show up in about a month or two of getting the gear. And in the end - gear that actually doesn't work properly - is worth basically nothing - and is a huge PITA.

But - everybody - is free - to try and be happy - however they see fit. (None of MY business.)

• Members
He has another option - he can wait.
But clearly he said he can't. He NEEDS SOMETHING now, period. Sorry, but are you suggesting he not be able to get through his upcoming shows until such time as he has the equipment that he EVENTUALLY wants? Because that is absurd.

Just my own experience - but - I thought I couldn't wait - and bought a bunch of crap initially - and then when it gave poor results - including being unreliable - eventually - I had to junk it all - and buy better gear.
But nobody is suggesting he buy crap! He needs to buy decent sounding gear, period, the end. I would agree he has better options even at a much lower price point than Behringer speakers, but used Eon's on the cheap will sound fucking great.

The original purchases just caused frustration - aggrivation - sorrow - and poor results. It was a waste of money. People who don't have much money are the ones who MOST need to be sure not to waste any.
But that is you and he obviously has a different situation.

I also have totally sworn off of buying used sound equipment - for the same reason - too much uncertinty about how it has been treated - and ending up with a bunch of "problems" - that show up in about a month or two of getting the gear. And in the end - gear that actually doesn't work properly - is worth basically nothing - and is a huge PITA.
I agree with you about garbage gear, but pro gear, like JBL and other good, reputable lines in good condition is a safe bet. People usually care for their pro gear and I have never been screwed over buying used pro gear. I think most people would agree with me here.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ChiroVette

View Post

Edit: Okay, forget that listing. The seller apparently wants $250.00 for shipping! Hahahaha the things people do to skirt their eBay fees!

It's not even that simple; eBay charges fees on your shipping amount now, to combat those who were doing exactly that. And they've been doing that for some time now. If a seller does something like that, there's a good chance they're just trying to get someone to buy it who didn't notice the shipping.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
But clearly he said he can't. He NEEDS SOMETHING now, period. Sorry, but are you suggesting he not be able to get through his upcoming shows until such time as he has the equipment that he EVENTUALLY wants? Because that is absurd.

But nobody is suggesting he buy crap! He needs to buy decent sounding gear, period, the end. I would agree he has better options even at a much lower price point than Behringer speakers, but used Eon's on the cheap will sound fucking great.

But that is you and he obviously has a different situation.

I agree with you about garbage gear, but pro gear, like JBL and other good, reputable lines in good condition is a safe bet. People usually care for their pro gear and I have never been screwed over buying used pro gear. I think most people would agree with me here.
Just giving MY opinion - and clearly stating - take what you like - and leave the rest. But - I guess you got me all busted down. Good job. OK - I take back my opinion - do what the other guy is saying! All the best to you!!!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Rbts

View Post

Just giving MY opinion - and clearly stating - take what you like - and leave the rest. But - I guess you got me all busted down. Good job. OK - I take back my opinion - do what the other guy is saying! All the best to you!!!

You know, discussing an issue and offering counter-opinions is not the same as busting you down. I disagreed with you and stated so, nothing more. No need to get all defensive about it.

• Members

(Buy once, Cry once)

Quote Originally Posted by Telecruiser View Post
Seems to be the recurring theme here (which I believe in) smile.gif
There is another good option out there, but it takes lots more of your time:
  1. Buy whatever gets the job done at best possible price
  2. Save up money
  3. Upgrade, and sell the "old" item for more than you bought and get the new on on sale or a killer deal.
  4. Repeat 2&3 until you don't cry any more

I've done this many times with many items, and I've turned it into a bit of a hobby sales project. My goal is to make some money on everything I sell, so I need to be very careful so I can sell as mint. This also have learned me to handle things with care, and I know where to look for very good prices.

As I got a long, I can afford to have some gear lying around, so I can experiment and do some testing at home and later at gigs if it passes tru. I am also so lucky to have a local shop who lets me take things home and to gigs for testing. This has thought it that there are several options that don't have to be too expensive. For instance I played at a pub with a couple of installed Behringer Speakers and with a bit of tweaking I got pretty much the sound I want for my soloact. Would might not win an A/B with a expensive system, but not a single person there would know. Would never drag the Behringer with me, cause once in a while you have an arranger that would look at it and decide that you are a lame ass musician, even if you have the crowd on the tables for the entire night..... (true story)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bajazz View Post
(Buy once, Cry once)

There is another good option out there, but it takes lots more of your time:
  1. Buy whatever gets the job done at best possible price
  2. Save up money
  3. Upgrade, and sell the "old" item for more than you bought and get the new on on sale or a killer deal.
  4. Repeat 2&3 until you don't cry any more

I've done this many times with many items, and I've turned it into a bit of a hobby sales project. My goal is to make some money on everything I sell, so I need to be very careful so I can sell as mint. This also have learned me to handle things with care, and I know where to look for very good prices.

As I got a long, I can afford to have some gear lying around, so I can experiment and do some testing at home and later at gigs if it passes tru. I am also so lucky to have a local shop who lets me take things home and to gigs for testing. This has thought it that there are several options that don't have to be too expensive. For instance I played at a pub with a couple of installed Behringer Speakers and with a bit of tweaking I got pretty much the sound I want for my soloact. Would might not win an A/B with a expensive system, but not a single person there would know. Would never drag the Behringer with me, cause once in a while you have an arranger that would look at it and decide that you are a lame ass musician, even if you have the crowd on the tables for the entire night..... (true story)
I flatly don't understand why some people in this forum cannot comprehend this position. Considering the unbelievable wealth of knowledge that this collective group has, it boggles my mind that such highly intelligent people, en masse, regurgitate "Buy once, cry once!" as some absurd rallying cry without even attempting to understand the position of the person they are giving response to.

For the record, I believe in that admonishment in 99% of the time, maybe even more. Take myself as an example: I absolutely need a PA so my band can play. I have been saving for a very good PA for the past 6-8 months and am almost ready to buy. However, what do I play with in the meantime? I can't "buy once cry once" when I HAVEN'T got the money to, so what did I do? Well, lucky me, I happen to have had an old but good sounding JBL MR based system from the nineties and a low end mixer and Crown amp plus some various accoutrements. So that PA is serving me quite well until I buy the new one. But what about the guy who needs a PA so his band can play and doesn't have either the means to buy what he wants and ultimately needs and has the choice between settling for something he can turn over and replace later OR not playing out?

Why is this position so difficult for some to grasp? Sometimes, as offensive and crazy as it may seem to some people here, you have to get SOMETHING that you can use in the meantime in order to, you know, PLAY OUT! LMAO but you guys keep brandishing your fortune cookie wisdom without regard to anyone's individual situation or any knowledge about someone's need to SETTLE so that they can have something now rather than sitting their thumbs with absolutely nothing. facepalm.gif

Buy once, cry once? Okay, fine, I am with you. But not everyone can do that. Some people, in order to do what they love, have to buy TWICE and cry twice. icon_lol.gif

• Members

OK, here is the answer- Rent it!

I flatly don't understand why some people in this forum cannot comprehend this position. Considering the unbelievable wealth of knowledge that this collective group has, it boggles my mind that such highly intelligent people, en masse, regurgitate "Buy once, cry once!" as some absurd rallying cry without even attempting to understand the position of the person they are giving response to.

For the record, I believe in that admonishment in 99% of the time, maybe even more. Take myself as an example: I absolutely need a PA so my band can play. I have been saving for a very good PA for the past 6-8 months and am almost ready to buy. However, what do I play with in the meantime? I can't "buy once cry once" when I HAVEN'T got the money to, so what did I do? Well, lucky me, I happen to have had an old but good sounding JBL MR based system from the nineties and a low end mixer and Crown amp plus some various accoutrements. So that PA is serving me quite well until I buy the new one. But what about the guy who needs a PA so his band can play and doesn't have either the means to buy what he wants and ultimately needs and has the choice between settling for something he can turn over and replace later OR not playing out?

Why is this position so difficult for some to grasp? Sometimes, as offensive and crazy as it may seem to some people here, you have to get SOMETHING that you can use in the meantime in order to, you know, PLAY OUT! LMAO but you guys keep brandishing your fortune cookie wisdom without regard to anyone's individual situation or any knowledge about someone's need to SETTLE so that they can have something now rather than sitting their thumbs with absolutely nothing. facepalm.gif

Buy once, cry once? Okay, fine, I am with you. But not everyone can do that. Some people, in order to do what they love, have to buy TWICE and cry twice. icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Sound

View Post

OK, here is the answer- Rent it!

You think so? Renting gear will cost an arm and a leg for a regularly gigging band. You're talking $100.00 to $200.00 a night plus deposit, though admittedly you get the deposit back. It's not too difficult to see that if the OP's band is playing four times to six times a month, he will pay the equivalent of the two K10 speakers in rental fees in one to two months with NOTHING to show for it at the end of that time. smile.gif

• Members

I can personally grasp this, I just don't believe it. There are almost always better options than buying junk and then eventually buying the right piece of gear. See the OP's last post for example.

There is usually good value budget gear available that is very close in price to junk budget gear. Really, the only time one would have to buy junk gear is if there is truly no other option. Like being out on the road when a piece of gear fails, you've got an hour to replace something and the only music store in town has nothing but crap. Even then you should be able to rent it instead of buying it.

Maybe there needs to be a distinction between gear that sounds horrible and will ruin your show no matter how well the gear functions, and gear that sounds okay but might fail due to poor build quality. In the latter case, if you can get the gear cheap enough to recoup your money and you're a gambling man, then that might work. But I suspect that few folks want to endorse that position - even if they've been there in the past.

Archived