PA Top Height From Floor

• Members

Hello, I just came in to a PA setup that consists of two 2x18 subs and two 2x15 tops with tweeter horn.

I have a general question on how high the tweeter horn should be off the ground for playing in a bar around 300 people.

If I sit the 2x18 subs vertical and sit the 2x15 tops on the subs, the bottom of tweeter horn is about 7 feet off the ground and my face is staring right in to one of the 15s.

If I sit the 2x18 subs horizontal and sit the 2x15 tops on the subs, then the bottom of the tweeter horn is around 5 ft off the ground and the middle of the horn is chin level.

Just wondering how I should position everything, I am assuming the taller setup would throw the highs farther past the dance floor but wondering if you would just hear midrange up close.

Any suggestions? (beyond selling the tops that is haha.)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by EOband View Post
If I sit the 2x18 subs vertical and sit the 2x15 tops on the subs, the bottom of tweeter horn is about 7 feet off the ground and my face is staring right in to one of the 15s.

I am assuming the taller setup would throw the highs farther past the dance floor but wondering if you would just hear midrange up close.
If someone's wasted enough to put their face directly in front of one of the 15s that's what they deserve.

Stack 'em and get those horns above head level. But depending on stage think about putting the subs horizontally together across it's front and the towers on each edge of the stage if there's enough room and the stage is high enough. Lots of variables... don't know what the cabs are either...

• Members

I am assuming the taller setup would throw the highs farther past the dance floor but wondering if you would just hear midrange up close.
If the hornflairs are 40 x 90 (common), you'd have coverage of the horn to a standing crowd within approx. 6ft. of the speaker.

If the hornflairs are 60 x 90, you'd have coverage of the horn to a standing crowd within approx. 4ft. of the speaker.

• Members
Hello, I just came in to a PA setup that consists of two 2x18 subs and two 2x15 tops with tweeter horn.

I have a general question on how high the tweeter horn should be off the ground for playing in a bar around 300 people.

If I sit the 2x18 subs horizontal and sit the 2x15 tops on the subs, then the bottom of the tweeter horn is around 5 ft off the ground and the middle of the horn is chin level.

Just wondering how I should position everything, I am assuming the taller setup would throw the highs farther past the dance floor but wondering if you would just hear midrange up close.

Any suggestions? (beyond selling the tops that is haha.)
Horns above the heads. If you had a large group standing in front of the system you would hear why this is the way to do it.
Besides you want coverage to the back of the room. If you can get one of the 15's under each horn above head level that would even be better for coverage if you have a high enough ceiling.
Then you have midrange/highs above dancers heads and covering to the back of the room.

• Members

Even if you use the double 18's for stands (placed vertical) 2 X 15 cabs aren't high enough. I don't like 2X 15's on sticks because of the safety factor of them falling over. Build yourself a solid plywood box to place between the subs and top boxes and ratchet tye them together.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy View Post
Horns above the heads. If you had a large group standing in front of the system you would hear why this is the way to do it.
Besides you want coverage to the back of the room. If you can get one of the 15's under each horn above head level that would even be better for coverage if you have a high enough ceiling.
Then you have midrange/highs above dancers heads and covering to the back of the room.
That is good to hear. I am 6 foot tall and and the top of my head is directly in the middle of the upper 15 on the tops so about 1/2 of the top 15 is above the tallest person in the crowd. Should be good enough for our bar shows.

Thanks for the help.

Archived