Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You say a cd sounds good, bet it does. Cd sounds good on my home hi fi but will not handle a bass drum, or any live music for that matter .
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.paradoxband.co.uk" target="_blank">www.paradoxband.co.uk</a></div>

Comment

How much low end do you need? Usually a sharp boost at 50Hz is plenty for fattening up a "modern" kind of kick sound.

If you're after something a little more extreme, maybe try triggers.

Comment

You could always use a trigger and a sampled kick.
        Eschew Obfuscation.

Comment

IMO what is perceived as lack of low end kick is actually boost below the tuning of the kick (~70-90Hz) eating up all your sub power and not enough output in the first octave of the kick (70-180Hz) which is where the chest thump is.

"We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

Comment

Triggers may be a good option for us. It would seem that would take a lot of the variables out of the equation.

What would be a good trigger and module set up? Do they make something just for kick?

Comment

Check out this forum thread for some ideas.
              Eschew Obfuscation.

Comment

Well dude, if you can't get the kick to sound good the rest of the kit is gonna sound like carp too. If you're looking to play paying gigs you might want to look into an eKit. I'm pretty happy with my Alesis DM8 Pro - it allows us to rehearse at volumes where we don't need to mic the backup vocals and we'll be able to gig places where an acoustic kit is too loud assuming we ever get out of the basement . Also helps to have a PA that doesn't "look" loud .

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger
                  View Post

...the rest of the kit is gonna sound like carp too..

If you use a D112, it can sound like flounder instead.

Comment

There you go, hatin' on the DL112 again. Funny thing is the one "A" listish drummer I often work with has one built into his kick and I've never had a problem getting a good sound out of one. You do have to high pass them bit and get them in towards the beater head - sitting them right at the port gives you all "woosh" and no "thump" IMO.

Comment

If you can't at least use one, something else is wrong. I don't hate them, I just don't prefer them. ;-)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Axisplayer
                        View Post

If you use a D112, it can sound like flounder instead.

Yup, limp flounder.

Comment

I knew a guy who had a decent PA: A&H GL2200, DBX processing and EQ's, McCauley 2x12+2" and matching dual 18's. Every band I talked to who he ran sound for said there just wasn't enough bottom end. Then I mixed on it once, and yeah, no real bottom end. Everything was powered correctly, not 100% sure on the driverack settings but things seemed right.

I looked up the data on the dual 18's. Turns out they rolled off at around 50hz quickly. They were designed as some sort of 80-300 box with the intention of a folded horn or something extending down to 30hz. Point is, even though you mah have "subs' or can check that box off, not all subs are adaquate.
                          <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.rock-bot.com" target="_blank">www.rock-bot.com</a><br />
                          Live-Band-Karaoke<br />
                          <br />
                          bassist and sound reinforcement</div>

Comment

I've never had a problem with all my 50Hz and up subs - but I don't waste all my power pushing out frequencies to them that they can't handle. Maybe because that's all we had thirty years ago when I first started doing sound .

Comment

As the other band had a good kick, you know the problem isn't the mic, the mixperson, or the PA. That leaves the drum and the player. Tune the thing. I've never encountered a drum that was tuned too low. At least half of those I've encountered would surely have sounded better if tuned much lower. Same goes for floor toms. And some snares.

Comment

Working...
                              X