Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seismic Audio speakers. Any good or crap?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by ChiroVette
    View Post

lol OMG, well I guess this would work in terms of filling the venue, but holy crap you are talking about MASSIVE stage volume here. I know, because for a while, we had vocals only in the PA and the stage volume was a huge problem even when the house volume was fine. We were walking off the stage after the second set with our ears ringing! I am so done with that paradigm. Now, I keep my amp at "3" and let the PA carry my volume into the house. Often I can't get "my sound" with the amp that low, and when this happens I put the amp on 5-6 and use a power soak to bring te volume down to acceptable levels.

Jeeze, man.

If you are loud enough that covering a 100 seat venue with backline makes your ears ring, might you be a little loud for the house through the foh? I realize if you are doing screamo rock for kids it might be required, but for the op's posted type of music ear-ringing levels might be a little too much?
    Eschew Obfuscation.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by madjack
      View Post

If you are loud enough that covering a 100 seat venue with backline makes your ears ring, might you be a little loud for the house through the foh? I realize if you are doing screamo rock for kids it might be required, but for the op's posted type of music ear-ringing levels might be a little too much?

100 seats really isn't that big of a room. Although I prefer to have everything in the system in a room that size, if I didn't have enough rig, vocals only isn't a bad option. And getting at least the bass out of the FOH might help with the distortion.
      Security Officers have been trained to not touch the service monkey

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by madjack
        View Post

Well, I can only speak for myself and my band. I play in a Grateful Dead cover band and what was happening, before we got the stage volume under control, was that we had mostly vocals going through the PA. We would play pretty loud on stage and our MO was always that people in the bar would love the balance and sound. But we never had people coming right up to the stage and dancing around and such. They would always be around 20 feet back or in an adjacent room in line of sight of the band. Sometimes the female vocalist, during a jam, would walk out into the crowd and check the balance, and sure enough at about 20 feet or more from the stage, we had a fantastic balance, but closer to the stage and on the stage, it was just ridiculously loud, at least for this type of music.

Perhaps since the OP is playing more balls-to-the-wall rock and roll, this might be acceptable to his band on stage or to their fans, but playing Dead music needs to have more of an ambiance. Probably one of the reasons that even though I love classic rock, I DO NOT play in a typical classic rock band.

Anyway, when we finally got the stage volume under control, which involved putting everything into the PA, lowering the amps a lot, and NOT having the stage carry the venue, we noticed that all of a sudden fans would come right up to the stage area, inches from the band, and it became more enjoyable for us. The kind of music I play has a lot of dynamics and this is much easier to pull off when we keep the stage volume as low as humanly possible.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by ChiroVette
          View Post

Well, I can only speak for myself and my band. I play in a Grateful Dead cover band and what was happening, before we got the stage volume under control, was that we had mostly vocals going through the PA. We would play pretty loud on stage and our MO was always that people in the bar would love the balance and sound. But we never had people coming right up to the stage and dancing around and such. They would always be around 20 feet back or in an adjacent room in line of sight of the band. Sometimes the female vocalist, during a jam, would walk out into the crowd and check the balance, and sure enough at about 20 feet or more from the stage, we had a fantastic balance, but closer to the stage and on the stage, it was just ridiculously loud, at least for this type of music.

Perhaps since the OP is playing more balls-to-the-wall rock and roll, this might be acceptable to his band on stage or to their fans, but playing Dead music needs to have more of an ambiance. Probably one of the reasons that even though I love classic rock, I DO NOT play in a typical classic rock band.

Anyway, when we finally got the stage volume under control, which involved putting everything into the PA, lowering the amps a lot, and NOT having the stage carry the venue, we noticed that all of a sudden fans would come right up to the stage area, inches from the band, and it became more enjoyable for us. The kind of music I play has a lot of dynamics and this is much easier to pull off when we keep the stage volume as low as humanly possible.

Bear in mind, although you are currently planning to upgrade your system, you still have enough rig for the gig. The OP does not. The suggestion for vocals only is not offered as an ultimate solution, but rather as a stopgap until finances allow for an upgrade. Nobody is suggesting rolling in a couple of 100w full stacks to carry the room. In a 100 seat room, 30-50w combos can carry it nicely. As far as the "balance" at 20 feet as opposed to the dance floor, decide which is the priority and adjust accordingly. At the back of the room, nobody is paying attention anyway. That's why they're in the back of the room.
          Security Officers have been trained to not touch the service monkey

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by lonotes
            View Post

Bear in mind, although you are currently planning to upgrade your system, you still have enough rig for the gig. The OP does not. The suggestion for vocals only is not offered as an ultimate solution, but rather as a stopgap until finances allow for an upgrade. Nobody is suggesting rolling in a couple of 100w full stacks to carry the room. In a 100 seat room, 30-50w combos can carry it nicely. As far as the "balance" at 20 feet as opposed to the dance floor, decide which is the priority and adjust accordingly. At the back of the room, nobody is paying attention anyway. That's why they're in the back of the room.

Yeah I see what you mean. I often take for granted that even though I am looking to upgrade to a much better system, that my present rig, JBLMR805 monitors and MR835 mains with a Soundcraft Rac Pac at the helm is still a damned nice sounding system. I mean, I have used this system for outdoor gigs playing in front of upwards of a thousand people and nobody complained that we weren't loud enough. So, I guess even with what I have, I am "doing all right."

Comment

• Well, hopefully all of this discussion has given everyone a good understanding of why I was hoping the SA speakers were at least a semi decent upgrade from the cheap Yamaha's we have. I could probably have gotten them to agree to spending $300 for a pair but $800 for some Yamaha Clubs or even $500 for a used pair is going to be a no go. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's anything in the $300 range that would make a worthwhile upgrade so I'm just going to have to sit back and let the chips fall where they may. If we lose gigs, we lose gigs.

I think that eventually, if I can find the $$$, I'll buy something like a QSC GX7 amp to upgrade the amp but of course, it will be my amp and I'll take it with me wherever I go. At least that way I'll have a decent amp and half decent mixer to contribute to this band or any other band I may end up in. I won't buy speakers myself though because I have absolutely no way to carry them.
              Current gear:
              A whole bunch of stuff!

Hear me play at my Soundclick music page. Here.

Comment

• RMX1450'a and 2450's seem to run around $200 used...

Keep an eye out on craigslist.

PA Unity15's over LS800p's. YX15's, YX12's IPR power, RM32AI

LightsMartin Minimac Profiles, Chauvet Intimidator Spot Duos, Blizzard 3NX, Fab5, Hotbox

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22
                  View Post

I own our PA as well. This way instead of a bunch of random stuff cobbled together it's a complete system that works well together. I get an extra $100 per gig, and we just worked it into our price. More of a token sum, but everyone helps loading it in, setting it up, tearing down and loading out so it works for me. I do sound on the side as well. I'm always upgrading my rig where I can. Been upgrading my light setup. After that, it's a new round of DI boxes.

It works for us.

This describes me right now as well. As you know, I've also just made a major lighting upgrade. And like you, when my band isn't working, I'm working for other bands (I've been getting more lighting jobs than sound jobs recently). But my system has not only paid for itself (and made a profit) but it affords me my "free upgrades".

And with my PA and light show, we are one of the highest paid bands in the area (according to a few regular clubs, the highest paid) with the lowest production costs.
                  Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. -Will Rogershttp://facebook.com/SpitShineRocks

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Mutha Goose
                    View Post

This describes me right now as well. As you know, I've also just made a major lighting upgrade. And like you, when my band isn't working, I'm working for other bands (I've been getting more lighting jobs than sound jobs recently). But my system has not only paid for itself (and made a profit) but it affords me my "free upgrades".

And with my PA and light show, we are one of the highest paid bands in the area (according to a few regular clubs, the highest paid) with the lowest production costs.

Exactly. I've been upgrading piece by piece, and only had to finance the trailer. It's taking a bit of time to get to where I want to be but, it's all been paid for by the work it brings in. My band as well has some of the best production around, if not the best production. I'm in a small town. But yeah when we roll in, there's no question we have enough rig for the gig and it's going to be a good show!!

I'm working on putting a small light rig for rent (with me operating) that will also make some extra money on the side. This one place is starting to get cover bands. I do sound there the odd time and my band plays there, so I'm going to see about being their go-to light guy for cover bands. I'm their go-to sound guy in general. Comedians etc.

PA Unity15's over LS800p's. YX15's, YX12's IPR power, RM32AI

LightsMartin Minimac Profiles, Chauvet Intimidator Spot Duos, Blizzard 3NX, Fab5, Hotbox

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by guitarman3001
                      View Post

Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's anything in the $300 range that would make a worthwhile upgrade

As I said $300 in decent amps would make a big difference IMO.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger
                        View Post

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger
                        View Post

I could probably pick up a QSC GX7 for around $450 or a Behringer inuke 3000 or even an inuke 6000 amp for between $350 and $400 (I know..I know....behringer is a hated name around here but their mixers and inuke amps seem to get better reviews than some of their other products and I've used several of their mixers without a single problem so far)

But I have to wonder if upgrading the amp without upgrading the speakers will make that much of a difference. If we do upgrade, it may end up being piece by piece so we'll end up with one before the other anyway but don't you think the mains we have are a weaker link than the amps? The amps themselves are good, just not very powerful, and the speakers can't take a lot of power anyway and they are small and don't sound all that great.
                        Current gear:
                        A whole bunch of stuff!

Comment

• Personally, given a lot of the conversation I've been reading, I would recommend saving your money until you can buy a decent pair of powered speakers... then down the road you can get a sub (or 2) if you decide you want to take it to the next level.
                          Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. -Will Rogershttp://facebook.com/SpitShineRocks

Comment

View Post

The amps themselves are good,

If you are getting distortion from clipping it's because the amps lack clip limiters. Those aren't the best speakers in the world but should get plenty loud for a hundred or so people no prob with the right amp. If you run mono an NU3000 would be fine, tops on one side and the subs on the other - the built-in crossover works well enough too. More power than that wouldn't be a good idea with those speakers. You should be able to find another used PV118 for around $150 and you'd have an OK small room rig. Not great but you'd not be getting complaints like you do now.

Again you don't seem to know where you are (LOL) but if around here I'd be glad to demo some amps for you on your speakers.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Mutha Goose
                              View Post

Personally, given a lot of the conversation I've been reading, I would recommend saving your money until you can buy a decent pair of powered speakers... then down the road you can get a sub (or 2) if you decide you want to take it to the next level.

My only issue with powered speakers is versatility. Don't they basically take away the option to mix and match components? And what if one of them blows an amp during a gig? If I have separate amps, I can always piggyback speakers onto one channel or use the monitor amp and do without the monitors. But if a powered speaker dies, I'm pretty much stuck without a speaker for that gig.
                              Current gear:
                              A whole bunch of stuff!

Comment

View Post

the speakers [...] are small

I've done 1000 people outdoors with tops physically smaller than your tops. If you're mostly concerned with "looking" loud them SA 2x15's were made for you for sure .

Comment

Working...
                                X