Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seismic Audio speakers. Any good or crap?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by IsildursBane
    View Post

If this is just a hobby to most of the band members, to the point where they don't care enough about it to even practice, why are you worried about upgrading the PA?

-Dan.

It's an interesting situation. They look at it as a hobby but at the same time want to play the better venues and stay out of the ****************hole dive gigs. Of course you see the problem with that. The bands that get the better gigs are more serious, they practice, they have better gear often with full stage lighting, they are constantly adding new songs, etc... so we're competing for the good gigs with those bands. Basically they want to be competitive with bands that are at least semi professional while still approaching it as a hobby and using entry level PA gear and not practicing. Although I think at least part of it is the simple fact that we're not young kids anymore and most of the band members have families and other life obligations so devoting that much time, money, and effort to the band would be hard for them to do.

Anyway, we don't have much of a choice for the gig this weekend. We're either going to get by with our PA or we'll lose the gig permanently.
    Current gear:
    A whole bunch of stuff!

Hear me play at my Soundclick music page. Here.

Comment

View Post

If this is just a hobby to most of the band members, to the point where they don't care enough about it to even practice, why are you worried about upgrading the PA?

-Dan.

Between that and not having money for a decent PA, I feel bad for the OP
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
      Hate is like taking poison, hoping the other guy gets sick.

How above being tricked are you? Take the test
      ---->
      HERE

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by guitarman3001
        View Post

Actually the bass player is running through the PA. His amp has a DI out and we run that into the board. I guess he just needed to be turned up louder. But like you heard, the vocals distort and we were actually running the PA a little lower than usual that night, and it was already distorting.

The DXR15 is out of the question though. I was having a hard time getting them to even consider the $329 the Seismics would have cost.

Start saving and dont buy anything until you have enough for the dxr15. If you have a pa, you can always gret band members
        With Greater Knowledge Comes Greater Understanding

Comment

View Post

Basically they want to be competitive with bands that are at least semi professional while still approaching it as a hobby and using entry level PA gear and not practicing.

Do they possess prodigious talent? If not, break out the Failboat pics, because this isn't going to happen. Bands get where they are with talent coupled with hard work, and a fair bit of luck.
          "If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else" - Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

Comment

View Post

It's the PV118. Like I mentioned earlier, the biggest problem is that the built in crossover is a piece of ****************. It fried twice on us and we were not running too much power into it. It's rated at 400W RMS and we were running it off of one channel of an amp that's rated at 400W into 2 or 4 ohms. The sub is 8 ohm so it wasn't even driving it at 400 watts. The first time it fried we ended up having to play the gig without a sub. The second time we had enough time where I was able to rewire the cab on the spot and bypass the crossover and just run the amp directly to the speaker. I do not like Peavey products. Seriously, I'd get Pyle Pro gear before getting another Peavey sub.

Your situation is deja vu. I had two peavey 118's as well, I used to run them in parallel bridged off QSC 1450 and you know what? Two of them will do a little bumping believe it or not but not anything to write home to grandma about. If you are using an electronic xover you can take those passives crossover's out, not needed. I had same issue with the built in xover, went haywire and sent it in to peavey they serviced it had it back in a week, was due to faulty solder connection. What do you expect for a $175.00 speaker, not going to get much in terms of quality.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by abzurd
              View Post

That's when I decided to suck it up and do the PA myself. Basically I charge $50 a show for corner bar gigs and 10% on stuff in excess of $750 so for wedding and corporate shows I'm getting around $200. That also covers all the work I do to book the shows, work with brides, planners, corporate folks, etc. We also have a "band fund" which is $5 a person per show so $25 a gig goes to things such as web hosting, gaff tape, posters and clothes.

I own our PA as well. This way instead of a bunch of random stuff cobbled together it's a complete system that works well together. I get an extra $100 per gig, and we just worked it into our price. More of a token sum, but everyone helps loading it in, setting it up, tearing down and loading out so it works for me. I do sound on the side as well. I'm always upgrading my rig where I can. Been upgrading my light setup. After that, it's a new round of DI boxes.

It works for us.

PA Unity15's over LS800p's. YX15's, YX12's IPR power, RM32AI

LightsMartin Minimac Profiles, Chauvet Intimidator Spot Duos, Blizzard 3NX, Fab5, Hotbox

Comment

View Post

It's the PV118. Like I mentioned earlier, the biggest problem is that the built in crossover is a piece of ****************. It fried twice on us and we were not running too much power into it. It's rated at 400W RMS and we were running it off of one channel of an amp that's rated at 400W into 2 or 4 ohms. The sub is 8 ohm so it wasn't even driving it at 400 watts. The first time it fried we ended up having to play the gig without a sub. The second time we had enough time where I was able to rewire the cab on the spot and bypass the crossover and just run the amp directly to the speaker. I do not like Peavey products. Seriously, I'd get Pyle Pro gear before getting another Peavey sub.

Yah, those work better after removing the crossover. They are only rated at 300wrms, 400w "program" BTW. I've often run a pair off of an RMX2450 or GX5 (about 500w into each) and they sound fine. With those crappy old amps of yours you're just pissing into the wind. If you were local I'd fix you up with couple RMX1450 clones I have for $400 and if you got a second PV118 your system would get you buy.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22
                  View Post

I own our PA as well. This way instead of a bunch of random stuff cobbled together it's a complete system that works well together. I get an extra $100 per gig, and we just worked it into our price. More of a token sum, but everyone helps loading it in, setting it up, tearing down and loading out so it works for me. I do sound on the side as well. I'm always upgrading my rig where I can. Been upgrading my light setup. After that, it's a new round of DI boxes.

It works for us.

It seems like a token sum but if the band is actively gigging and stays together long you actually do end up ahead provided you can control the urge to constantly buy stuff. Lets say after tax implications it averages $100. So 50 shows a year = $5000. I've been doing it this way for 5 years so that's $25,000. I've not spent that much on PA. Of course YMMV. If you gig 20 times a year and break up after 2 years the math doesn't work out so well.
                  PA: JBL PRX712, PRX718XLF, RCF 745-A, 522-A, 310A, A&H Qu-16
                  Lights: AMDJ Dotz TPAR, Haze Generator, Chauvet GigBAR
                  www.nextexitrocks.com | wedding band | Columbus, OH | VIDEO

Comment

View Post

... so we're competing for the good gigs with those bands.

Not really. When club owners are telling you that your gear is inadequate for their rooms, you're not competing, You've already lost the gig.
                    Security Officers have been trained to not touch the service monkey

Comment

View Post

It's an interesting situation. They look at it as a hobby but at the same time want to play the better venues and stay out of the ****************hole dive gigs. Of course you see the problem with that. The bands that get the better gigs are more serious, they practice, they have better gear often with full stage lighting, they are constantly adding new songs, etc... so we're competing for the good gigs with those bands. Basically they want to be competitive with bands that are at least semi professional while still approaching it as a hobby and using entry level PA gear and not practicing. Although I think at least part of it is the simple fact that we're not young kids anymore and most of the band members have families and other life obligations so devoting that much time, money, and effort to the band would be hard for them to do.

Anyway, we don't have much of a choice for the gig this weekend. We're either going to get by with our PA or we'll lose the gig permanently.

Yeah, I understand what the situation is, and I don't even fault them for not wanting to put more time into the band.

What I don't understand is why you're responding the way you are.

Don't bother upgrading the PA. At all. If they want to get serious about being a band, let them get serious about being a band and start practicing, THEN worry about the PA. Otherwise, you'll just be throwing money into a pit, trying to make louder a band that doesn't sound good in the first place.

-Dan.
                      Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by abzurd
                        View Post

It seems like a token sum but if the band is actively gigging and stays together long you actually do end up ahead provided you can control the urge to constantly buy stuff. Lets say after tax implications it averages $100. So 50 shows a year = $5000. I've been doing it this way for 5 years so that's $25,000. I've not spent that much on PA. Of course YMMV. If you gig 20 times a year and break up after 2 years the math doesn't work out so well.

True enough.

LightsMartin Minimac Profiles, Chauvet Intimidator Spot Duos, Blizzard 3NX, Fab5, Hotbox

Comment

View Post

Yeah, I understand what the situation is, and I don't even fault them for not wanting to put more time into the band.

What I don't understand is why you're responding the way you are.

Don't bother upgrading the PA. At all. If they want to get serious about being a band, let them get serious about being a band and start practicing, THEN worry about the PA. Otherwise, you'll just be throwing money into a pit, trying to make louder a band that doesn't sound good in the first place.

-Dan.

I'm responding the way that I am because hobby or not, I don't like to lose good gigs because of something that we have control over. We've already been told by one venue that our gear is not good enough. I've also heard similar although not as direct comments from other venues. They didn't tell me directly that our gear wasn't good enough, they just pointed out things like the vocals being distorted, which is a result of our gear not being good enough.

Of course, I like playing the better venues so hearing things like this from the bar owners sucks and I get frustrated when I explain it to the rest of the band and they respond with "well, we've been getting by just fine with our current stuff and there's no point in spending a ton of money on gear just to make one venue happy."

It sucks even more for me because I'm usually the one who hears it directly from the bar owner since in some cases I'm the one who booked the gig and in almost every case I'm the one who handles the sound so anyone with a sound complaint is sent to me.

BTW, I am very aware of every single one of our flaws but I disagree that we don't sound good in the first place. I know that we're not the best band around and we have a lot of rough spots that need work but I wouldn't say that we suck. But I do appreciate even the most blunt criticisms since it makes me take a closer look to see if maybe someone's hearing a problem that I may have missed.
                          Current gear:
                          A whole bunch of stuff!

Hear me play at my Soundclick music page. Here.

Comment

• Can you rent to own, or buy something on a payment schedule?

There's no better feeling that getting a really great compliment on the sound after the gig, or rolling in knowing you have enough rig for the gig. I don't know if you can get anyone else on board.

Hmmmmm I have closer to $30k invested, not counting the trailer.

But

This year alone I've brought in around $20k gross in business providing sound to others. I'm pretty much set up. Looking to do $30k next year as a goal. So the investment isn't in vain. Some people have boats, some people have ATV's, travel trailers etc. I've chosen sound as my hobby, in the form of a small sound provider. Unlike a lot of other hobbies it actually makes money.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22
                              View Post

This year alone I've brought in around $20k gross in business providing sound to others. I'm pretty much set up. Looking to do $30k next year as a goal. So the investment isn't in vain. Some people have boats, some people have ATV's, travel trailers etc. I've chosen sound as my hobby, in the form of a small sound provider. Unlike a lot of other hobbies it actually makes money.

Good point. The real issue here is the OP wants to do something about it but don't have the means to do so. If he had "money to blow", which is pretty much what hobby money is, then you could go buy a decent setup and whatever happens to the band happens. I think the responses the OP is getting takes into consideration the fact there is no money. That being the case, and given the prevailing attitude of the band, it seems foolish to go into debt, just like it would be foolish to go into debt for any hobby. I get people do this, but it's still foolish in my book.
                              PA: JBL PRX712, PRX718XLF, RCF 745-A, 522-A, 310A, A&H Qu-16
                              Lights: AMDJ Dotz TPAR, Haze Generator, Chauvet GigBAR
                              www.nextexitrocks.com | wedding band | Columbus, OH | VIDEO

Comment

• You're the only person in the band that seems to give a **************** about anything. If you spend any of your own money to support this bunch of people you sir are a sucker, plain and simple. You have band mates that want better things but aren't willing to make any sacrifice in any way. But hey, that's like most of society anyways. I just don't understand why you would be willing to let them force you to live at the bottom as a band. I understand they have lives outside of the band, and I bet the better bands are in the same situation. So that argument holds no water.

It just really upsets me to see someone like yourself, that actually cares, even fathom helping band mates, and supposed friends, that clearly don't care what you think. I mean really, they sound like a bunch of entitlement ****************tards. Give us the better gigs and better pay but we're not putting any extra work or sacrifice for it. **************** them. Find a new group and let them live in the ****************holes where they seem to be happy. You can still be friends with them. It obvious that you have a different vision,that them. Go find a group of guys like yourself. You'll be much happier and you won't have another thread on here trying to defend people who are lazy ****************s dragging you down.

Rant OFF.

Man I feel better.

Comment

Working...
                                X