Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Seismic Audio speakers. Any good or crap?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by nchangin
    View Post

Video review: Whatever ever song she played the tambourine sp? on she should STOP, dynamics and tempo were off and from a time perspective was throwing me all out of time and almost seemed like it was throwing the rest of the band off. Her voice was fine. She is better than other female singers I've seen in that she does move and has body rythym, (plus)

My over all thought was lead guitar sounded great and nice skills, good posture, get's into it, I enjoyed watching and listening, but it squashed the other guitar player right out of the mix which I assume the problem there is the gain on the mixer. I love the sound of two guitars mixed it is absolutely a beautiful thing and I didn't hear it.

I assume the OP is the person doing the mix? I know the lead should come out on top during leads but not during the entire song.

As far as the bass it was present and audible but could be stronger but with a recording like that very difficult to judge. Drummer seems to be trying to do too much, suggest keeping it more simple focus on the beat not all the double strokes and cymbal work, and I truely feel sorry for him not having any mics, I hate playing those gigs.

Overall my thought was, I would have stayed, partied and had some drinks. Only improvement needed was true PA mix and some practice time to tighten up the overall flow, but as OP posted they don't rehearse much, so it's expected.

Yeah, I'm the one doing the mix but not by choice. No one else wants to do it and there are only two of us in the band with an even basic level of knowledge about how to work a small PA. I'm one of them, the bass player is the other but he doesn't really like doing it so somehow little by little the job has become mine. And it's really hard to get a good FOH mix from the stage. I do the best I can with the little knowledge I have, which isn't much, and the crappy PA we have. Some nights it sounds better than others. This particular night my guitar was too loud.

Also, the drummer does have three mics. His kick drum is mic'd and so are his snare and the third mic is above the toms. Not sure why it's not really audible in these vids. The camera is a piece of crap so maybe that's part of it.

And I didn't say we don't practice much, I said we don't practice at all!!!! lol

As for me personally, when I was playing in original bands I used to play between 4 and 8 hours a day, 4 or 5 days a week but that was a long time ago. Nowadays between work, life, and gigs, my playing time is down to the playing I do at gigs which is approx 3 hours of actual playing 1 or 2 days a week. Sometimes I'll play for a half hour at home or something like that but that's about it. My playing is definitely sloppier than it used to be and I'm nowhere close to playing as well as I used to. Regarding the speed of Devil, I can actually play it much faster and we used to play it faster. That's one of those strange songs that I seem to be able to play cleaner the faster I play it.

Regarding the female vocalist, she joined us not quite a year ago and we are the first band she has ever been in. We found her in a bar during a gig. We had been looking to add a female singer and during a gig we noticed a chick sitting at the bar singing along with us and she had a great voice. We asked her if she would be interested in auditioning and the rest was history. I think she's doing great for having less than a year experience singing.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Current gear:<br />
    A whole bunch of stuff!<br />
    <br />
    Hear me play at my Soundclick music page. <a href="http://www.soundclick.com/guitarman3001" target="_blank">Here. </a></div>

Comment

Also, knock back the gain on your guitar. It's too fuzzy and mushy. This is also true in your soundclick files.

-Dan.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><i>Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.</i></div>

Comment

The girl is pretty easy on the eyes.

NO SIGNATURE FOR YOU!!

Comment

Given the state of your band and PA, you might want to think about not putting anything into the foh except vox and a little kick. Let the band get used to balancing backline as a band and let the amps carry the room. Once learned it makes mixing from stage much easier and can still make a good mix. Bass player will need a decent amp, and guitarists will need to be aware of beaming problems, but in my experience it makes for a tighter band over time.
          Eschew Obfuscation.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by madjack
            View Post

Given the state of your band and PA, you might want to think about not putting anything into the foh except vox and a little kick. Let the band get used to balancing backline as a band and let the amps carry the room. Once learned it makes mixing from stage much easier and can still make a good mix. Bass player will need a decent amp, and guitarists will need to be aware of beaming problems, but in my experience it makes for a tighter band over time.

That's how we used to do it up until about a year ago. Then we started running everything through the board and have improved our sound. If you're relying on the guitar amps' stage volumes to fill the room, you're going to get an uneven sound depending on what part of the room you're in.

Like I mentioned, we've been getting by with our PA system but lately we've started playing rooms that need more volume than our system is capable of. We're basically outgrowing our PA is all. If we tried to use our guitars' stage volume to fill those larger rooms, it would be a disaster. Bottom line, we're outgrowing our PA. Never mind the lack of rehearsals, etc... none of that can fix the fact that we're outgrowing our PA.

::edit:: just wanted to add, our bass player does have an excellent amp. As a matter of fact, all of us have enough guitar and bass gear that we could easily use our stage volume to fill a 500+ seat room. We've done it in the past and even been asked to turn down several times. But like I said, we've moved away from that and have lowered our stage volume and started running everything through the PA to get a more balanced sound and not overpower the vocals with the guitars, which is something we had inadvertently done in the past.
            <br />
            Hear me play at my Soundclick music page. <a href="http://www.soundclick.com/guitarman3001" target="_blank">Here. </a></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by madjack
              View Post

Bass player will need a decent amp,

Truth be known, that's how I ended up with my first PA: I was the bass player a high school garage band. My bass amp was a combo Contessa brand (50w single 12" jobbie as I recall... basically the "Keystone Light" of bass amps of the day). Shortly after I graduated from HS, I auditioned and was picked from the herd of applicants to join the most relevant band in the area... under the condition that I seriously upgrade my bass rig. I shopped around for a regional worthy bass rig and figured out in short order that even back in the '70's, that was gonna cost real money. That band's PA was "ok" for the day... well... fading for the day... it was a Shure Vocalmaster rig that was showing it's age. So instead of buying an SVT 8-10 or Sunn rig... for not a lot more money, I bought a fairly kick-ass PA (for the time)... and a decent mic to run my POS Contessa bass amp into the PA... and a pick-up to haul it all around in, and a handtruck, and a decent soldering iron, and, and, and. I was HIRED... needless to say. Ok... so then (after the first gig) I bought a decent bass rig too (Sunn)... and worked my ass off and basically lived offa Romin Noodles, and walked (approx. 5 miles round trip) to & from my day job, and worked 2 1/2 jobs in addition to full time playing in a pretty kick-ass band for about a year to pay for it all...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman3001
                View Post

We're a classic rock band. Small to medium sized = 20 to 100 people, the occasional outdoor venue with a couple hundred people but most venues are just your regular small bars and taverns. For the main system right now we have the two Yamaha mains, one Peavey 18" sub which is a giant piece of crap but at least it puts out some low frequencies and the Crown 800 watt amp which if I understand correctly probably only putting out about 200 watts per channel since the speakers are 8 ohm. We have one amp for the mains and a second amp which we use one channel for the monitors and the other channel for the sub.

We're just looking for something that will give us more volume than the Yamahas without distorting while still sounding decent. And no, we can't afford expensive stuff like Cerwin Vega.

sounds like to me that from all that i am hearing you need to get more watts in your amps and bigger wattage on your mains , IMHO 200W is not enough to do anything. get you something that will put out at the most 700 or 800 watts a speaker on your mains , I have done that and it sounds so much better and louder too not as much clipping as well, and no distortion. from my experience I was using a mackie 1400I power amp with my subs and i switched amps to a Behringer epx2000 and it was a world of difference to me , it was louder and sounded cleaner too. so that might be an option to as well, because if you are being threatened with losing gigs over it then i would say that the owners are trying to tell you something , you dont want to get the reputation of being someone that has crappy sound at every venue you play , if so then the phone is not gonna ring for ya to come play. and 2 if the band doesn't want to do anything to progress in their playing and sound then it's only gonna wear you out in the long run by being the only one who cares. Been there done that.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman3001
                  View Post

As a matter of fact, all of us have enough guitar and bass gear that we could easily use our stage volume to fill a 500+ seat room. We've done it in the past and even been asked to turn down several times. But like I said, we've moved away from that and have lowered our stage volume and started running everything through the PA to get a more balanced sound and not overpower the vocals with the guitars, which is something we had inadvertently done in the past.

A 500+ seat room is pretty big and if you've got enough stage rig to do that, I'd ditch the instruments from the "PA" completely, run it vocals-only, and you'll probably be better off anyway.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">How about a mother****************ing crocodile pit instead of those titty ****************s !</font><br />
                  <br />
                  <br />
                  <font size="1"><i>Last edited by Jazz Ad on 06-20-2004 at 098 PM</i></font></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus-X
                    View Post

A 500+ seat room is pretty big and if you've got enough stage rig to do that, I'd ditch the instruments from the "PA" completely, run it vocals-only, and you'll probably be better off anyway.

Like I said, we used to do that. It was ok for tiny rooms but for larger rooms, the sound was very unbalanced based on where you were standing in the room. And if we tried doing that at the larger venues we would overpower the vocals and drums. Bottom line is our PA simply doesn't have enough juice to be able to put out the volume that some of the venues are wanting, not to mention the clarity that would help us even in the smaller venues. Believe me, I'd love to be able to bring a 100 watt tube head and a 30 watt tube head and run one through a 4x12 cab and the other through a full stack of two 4x10 marshall cabs and a couple of Mesa 1x12 cabs, but that would completely overwhelm our PA and you wouldn't be able to hear the vocals or the drums. Not to mention, just try walking into a small 75 seat bar with that much gear for just one of the guitar players and see how long it takes for the manager to kick you out before you even have a chance to set up. lol I've seen it happen!

Running everything through the PA was a step forward in our evolution, imo. I don't want to go backward and even if we did set up like that again, it still wouldn't solve the problem of an underpowered PA with speakers that are too small. That kind of setup would work ok in a very small room if we used something like 30 watt 1x12 combo amps. But for larger venues, we just need a bigger PA.
                    <br />

Comment

• First of all, to cover a 100 seat venue with backline and a vox only pa is no problem. Tip the guitar cabs back, much like with the old Fender tilt-back legs, so the sound is headed toward the ceiling. This goes a long way to eliminating the beaming problem. Bass shouldn't be a problem due to low frequencies spreading better. Then put only vox an a little kick support into the foh.

That said, since you are certain it will not work as well for you, you only have the option left of better foh. Don't set yourself up for failure trying to upgrade with crap. If you don't wish to spend in the $1000+ range for a pair of cabs you must either shop very wisely, or go with used gear. Look around on craigslist, ebay, etc., for used Yamaha club, EV SX200 or SX300 cabs, JBL mrx, sr4000 series, etc. If you're not sure if something is a good price, ask back here. I purchased a pair of EV SX200 cabs for $300, as did several friends. Hard to find these days, but a good value. There are other bargains available if you look. For decent models to look for, search some of the threads on budget pa that have been on here for years.
                      Eschew Obfuscation.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by madjack
                        View Post

First of all, to cover a 100 seat venue with backline and a vox only pa is no problem. Tip the guitar cabs back, much like with the old Fender tilt-back legs, so the sound is headed toward the ceiling. This goes a long way to eliminating the beaming problem.

lol OMG, well I guess this would work in terms of filling the venue, but holy crap you are talking about MASSIVE stage volume here. I know, because for a while, we had vocals only in the PA and the stage volume was a huge problem even when the house volume was fine. We were walking off the stage after the second set with our ears ringing! I am so done with that paradigm. Now, I keep my amp at "3" and let the PA carry my volume into the house. Often I can't get "my sound" with the amp that low, and when this happens I put the amp on 5-6 and use a power soak to bring te volume down to acceptable levels.

Jeeze, man.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by guitarman3001
                          View Post

one Peavey 18" sub which is a giant piece of crap

Which particular sub is that? Maybe you just don't have it powered and/or crossed over properly - I've never met a Peavey sub that wasn't at least half decent.

"We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

Comment

• Re-reading your posts I think a better amp on the mains would be a big improvement - something like an RMX1450 would eliminate the clipping you're seeing now as it has a touch more power and a clip limiter built in. Where are you located? If you were nearby I'd loan you one to try. They're only about 200-250 used. Depending on what sub you have another 1450 might be a good match to drive it.

"We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

Comment

• If this is just a hobby to most of the band members, to the point where they don't care enough about it to even practice, why are you worried about upgrading the PA?

-Dan.
                              <div class="signaturecontainer"><i>Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.</i></div>

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger
                                View Post

Which particular sub is that? Maybe you just don't have it powered and/or crossed over properly - I've never met a Peavey sub that wasn't at least half decent.

It's the PV118. Like I mentioned earlier, the biggest problem is that the built in crossover is a piece of ****************. It fried twice on us and we were not running too much power into it. It's rated at 400W RMS and we were running it off of one channel of an amp that's rated at 400W into 2 or 4 ohms. The sub is 8 ohm so it wasn't even driving it at 400 watts. The first time it fried we ended up having to play the gig without a sub. The second time we had enough time where I was able to rewire the cab on the spot and bypass the crossover and just run the amp directly to the speaker. I do not like Peavey products. Seriously, I'd get Pyle Pro gear before getting another Peavey sub.
                                <br />

Comment

Working...
                                X