Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seismic Audio speakers. Any good or crap?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to look at the customer and what they have been exposed to, their expectations and why they bought the speakers in the first place. If cost was the only metric of a good product, they are winners. To most of us here, performance and reliability are much higher on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman3001
    View Post

Ok, I have to ask, why do the SA speakers get such good reviews on Amazon? The ones I mentioned have an almost 5 star rating with close to 40 reviews. Are most of those reviews made by shills or do you think they're just from people who don't know any better and as long as a speaker makes noise they think it's a good speaker?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Axisplayer
      View Post

OMG...Now I know what folks really think of me....

It's the hat .

"We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse
        View Post

You have to look at the customer and what they have been exposed to, their expectations and why they bought the speakers in the first place. If cost was the only metric of a good product, they are winners. To most of us here, performance and reliability are much higher on the list.

Honestly, this is one of the major problems with consumer level reviews. Most people simply don't have ears that are well trained enough to know whether something sounds like crap, is amazing, or somewhere in between. I think that in a side-by-side comparison, if someone like you, say, would walk them through a barrage of sonic tests on equipment where they could hear the crappy gear they are extolling the virtues of next to say PRX or QSC K & KW speakers, and you pointed out places where distortion and clipping occurs as well as overall sound quality, then they might get at least some of this. But what most people do, in my opinion, with pro audio equipment, is they plug in iPods and CD players and blast it. All they "hear" is that it gets loud, likely significantly louder than their home stereo systems. These cabinets, yes, even the Seismic and Behringer garbage all looks state-of-the art with slick surfaces and smart looking product badges and grills.

Also, many of these folks have never knowingly heard really good gear. Then, of course, there is the fact that most people who are in music suck at it and maybe the limiting factor of their performances isn't their crappy gear but instead their marginal bands.

Comment

View Post

OMG...Now I know what folks really think of me....

I think you're probably a really nice guy that means well, and sitting down having a beer with you would be a lot of fun. However, you're very confused on your understanding of how audio actually works. Most of what you say is pretty far removed from reality. You'd probably be better not trying to guess than guessing and being so far off.

Comment

???? It wasn't really me...I was kidding.

Now I feel really bad.

I know a little more than that guy does.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by GCDEF
              View Post

I think you're probably a really nice guy that means well, and sitting down having a beer with you would be a lot of fun. However, you're very confused on your understanding of how audio actually works. Most of what you say is pretty far removed from reality. You'd probably be better not trying to guess than guessing and being so far off.

Hahahahahaha!! You had no idea we were all kidding? Axis is a guru around here, though he is way too modest to actually admit it.

View Post

???? It wasn't really me...I was kidding.

I know a little more than that guy does.

Hey, Gomer, go tip a cow.

Comment

More of a curmudgeon than guru I think....

I really do have a southern accent like his though.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ChiroVette
                  View Post

Hahahahahaha!! You had no idea we were all kidding? Axis is a guru around here, though he is way too modest to actually admit it.

Hey, Gomer, go tip a cow.

I thought you were which is why I asked, and I was pretty surprised that somebody could hang out here and be that ill-informed. But the hat is the same.

Comment

Well sorta the same. Mine is an EWI hat from Mark (Audiopile.) I pestered him when the first one wore out so he sent me another. I give him the free advertising on here in return. Guess that means I need a better picture of the hat!!!

Comment

View Post

Well sorta the same. Mine is an EWI hat from Mark (Audiopile.) I pestered him when the first one wore out so he sent me another. I give him the free advertising on here in return. Guess that means I need a better picture of the hat!!!

The avatar's kind of small or my eyes are kind of old or some combination of both.

Comment

NO SIGNATURE FOR YOU!!

Comment

Maybe if you was holdin' a banjo the hat wouldn't be so noticeable?

"We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ChiroVette
                            View Post

Hmmmmm Well, okay, honestly, Guitarman? As a fellow guitarist, I like a lot of what you're playing and your voice is pretty good. I also like the female vocalist. Trouble is, from what I can hear, the rhythm section of the band is bordering on awful. I can barely hear the bass player most of the time, but when I can, I am not impressed. Your drummer absolutely needs to be mic'd (as per thread topic) but he isn't all that great. Your rhythm guitarist is all over the place. I think that the rhythm section could sound better if they would play a little more in sync with each other. Honestly, though, to my ear it sounds like you are pretty much holding the whole band down.

Did you listen to Devil Went Down to Georgia? He's not much better.

My honest opinion is that you really need to seriously tighten up the rhythm section or take the female vocalist and form another band. Other than making the drums "sound" a little better and mixing in more bass to the PA, I see little virtue for you buying a PA at this point in time.

I agree that there's little point in upgrading the PA, but I wouldn't say that the OP and his chick singer are going to be able to do anything substantially by striking out on their own. They all need to hit the woodshed.

-Dan.
                            <div class="signaturecontainer"><i>Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.</i></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by IsildursBane
                              View Post

Did you listen to Devil Went Down to Georgia? He's not much better.

I did. The only issue I had with the OP's playing in that cut was it was a little sloppy and sounded as if he playing-speed reach exceeded his grasp a little. But I think he has the chops and the skill to tighten that up.

Quote Originally Posted by IsildursBane
                              View Post

I agree that there's little point in upgrading the PA, but I wouldn't say that the OP and his chick singer are going to be able to do anything substantially by striking out on their own. They all need to hit the woodshed.

I would have to give those cuts a listen again, but to me it sounded like the OP and the female vocalist were the best part of the band.

Comment

Video review: Whatever ever song she played the tambourine sp? on she should STOP, dynamics and tempo were off and from a time perspective was throwing me all out of time and almost seemed like it was throwing the rest of the band off. Her voice was fine. She is better than other female singers I've seen in that she does move and has body rythym, (plus)

My over all thought was lead guitar sounded great and nice skills, good posture, get's into it, I enjoyed watching and listening, but it squashed the other guitar player right out of the mix which I assume the problem there is the gain on the mixer. I love the sound of two guitars mixed it is absolutely a beautiful thing and I didn't hear it.

I assume the OP is the person doing the mix? I know the lead should come out on top during leads but not during the entire song.

As far as the bass it was present and audible but could be stronger but with a recording like that very difficult to judge. Drummer seems to be trying to do too much, suggest keeping it more simple focus on the beat not all the double strokes and cymbal work, and I truely feel sorry for him not having any mics, I hate playing those gigs.

Overall my thought was, I would have stayed, partied and had some drinks. Only improvement needed was true PA mix and some practice time to tighten up the overall flow, but as OP posted they don't rehearse much, so it's expected.

Comment

Working...
                                X