Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seismic Audio speakers. Any good or crap?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The biggest issues I heard (that are fairly easy to fix) were that the bass is not nearly loud enough, and the vocals distort.

The bass player should be much louder. have him turn up. The guitars should come down. Since you can't get the volume on the vocals without distortion, everything should come down.

Now granted, you won't be very loud if you do this, but you could sound decent.

To fix more, you are going to have to spend some money.

The cheapest solution IMHO would be a pair of DXR15's. These will run you about $800.00 each. Yea, I know this is a bundle of money, but you could put a little kick in the mix and mic the bass and you would have a respectable band sound.

What most around here would suggest would be to do it right and put around $5000.00 into a decent tops-over-subs powered speaker system. This would surely rock (several of us here do exactly this), but it isn't cheep.

Honestly, even a single DXR15 would be night and day better than everything you currently have (speaker wise).
    With Greater Knowledge Comes Greater Understanding

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman3001
      View Post

Yeah, it's something we've considered but no one wants to give up any $$$ for something like that as long as our own PA can make noise, even if it sounds like crap.

You just revealed the main reason that most bands running their own sound usually don't make more than $500. Why? Because they buy bullcrap budget gear like Seismic or JBL JRX series and the system sounds like a toy. Find a good sound provider and you will no longer sound like crap... and guess what? You got it. Pay raise time!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by OneEng
        View Post

The biggest issues I heard (that are fairly easy to fix) were that the bass is not nearly loud enough, and the vocals distort.

The bass player should be much louder. have him turn up. The guitars should come down. Since you can't get the volume on the vocals without distortion, everything should come down.

Now granted, you won't be very loud if you do this, but you could sound decent.

To fix more, you are going to have to spend some money.

The cheapest solution IMHO would be a pair of DXR15's. These will run you about $800.00 each. Yea, I know this is a bundle of money, but you could put a little kick in the mix and mic the bass and you would have a respectable band sound.

What most around here would suggest would be to do it right and put around $5000.00 into a decent tops-over-subs powered speaker system. This would surely rock (several of us here do exactly this), but it isn't cheep.

Honestly, even a single DXR15 would be night and day better than everything you currently have (speaker wise).

Actually the bass player is running through the PA. His amp has a DI out and we run that into the board. I guess he just needed to be turned up louder. But like you heard, the vocals distort and we were actually running the PA a little lower than usual that night, and it was already distorting.

The DXR15 is out of the question though. I was having a hard time getting them to even consider the $329 the Seismics would have cost.
        Current gear:
        A whole bunch of stuff!

Hear me play at my Soundclick music page. Here.

Comment

View Post

But yeah, I've been willing to shoulder as much of the load as I am able to afford and within reason. I'm not the founder of the band nor am I the band leader so I'm only willing to go so far. That said, I'm completely tapped out right now after buying the mixer and other stuff and some gear of my own. It would be nice if the rest of the band decided to pitch in and upgrade their own parts of the PA.

Anyway, I'm still searching for speakers..... nothing much on craigslist right now but will keep looking.

So that's where you really have to watch yourself and even question is there where you want to stay. Our band started out with no leader, but within a few months I seemed to be the one doing pretty much everything. If you're not the driving force of the band, the guy that butters the bread, then you'll not have the influence. It's always a risk when you decide to shoulder the load, but in this case it's more so because your not wearing the power suit.

With that in mind and the budget you have to work with, I'd suggest holding pat, losing your "A" club, biting your lip about it, and once you've saved some cash decide if you want to part with it for PA gear. I'm not sure where you live, but buying used means you'll likely get close to what you put into it, and sometimes even profit, so I'd probably look there and not spring for the dream rig. I traded up several times before saying the hell with it and just doing what I knew was going to work long term. I'm in a position to do that though and realize not everyone is.

Oh, and regarding the videos, yes, turn down the guitar and you'll get more headroom (or at least less distortion). Honestly, given your PA, that's the best advice I can give. You must learn to play at the level your PA can sustain. There's no point overpowering the PA as you see what that gets you. Not to get at "Wynn" on you (inside joke if you hang out here) but that advice would solve many "PA problems". Loud is not necessarily better, or even good at all if you can't pull "loud" off without negative side effects.
          PA: JBL PRX712, PRX718XLF, RCF 522A, 310A, FBT Vertus, A&H Qu-16
          Lights: AMDJ Dotz TPAR, Haze Generator, Chauvet GigBAR
          www.nextexitrocks.com | wedding band | Columbus, OH

Comment

View Post

I was having a hard time getting them to even consider

Management based on a 100% majority commune vote rarely works, basically because that style of management reduces the tough decisions down to the lowest common denominator. I'll suggest it might be time to rethink the management structure of the band project.

Comment

View Post

lol....actually yesterday it was resistance to adding new songs....and the day before was "why do we need to rehearse." What can I say.... we never rehearse (literally, never except when it's time to add new songs..the last time we rehearsed was probably 6 months ago), and adding new songs is always a discussion and hassle because no one ever agrees with the song choices and everyone is always in disagreement over whether a given song will go over well with the audience. The usual cover band drama...

I'm like a freakin' psychic! But that is exactly how I got into sound. Band drama.
              Security Officers have been trained to not touch the service monkey

Comment

I would just find someone else to gig with, music is supposed to be fun and enjoyable and make money also , but if you dont have but one thing out of the 3 that you are getting , with the threat of losing even that then i would take the female singer and look for someone else. IMHO that would be the cheaper way to go. They are there you just got to look for them.

Comment

So what I've gathered here is: besides yourself...

1 nobody cares about or wants to rehearse

2 nobody wants to learn any new material

3 nobody cares what you sound like to the audience

4 nobody sees anything wrong with all of the above.

So exactly WHY do you even stay in this band? I'm serious, if you really think about all that you've told us about them, why are you even trying?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Crownman
                    View Post

So exactly WHY do you even stay in this band? I'm serious, if you really think about all that you've told us about them, why are you even trying?

So it does sound pretty uninspiring doesn't it?
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Get some used Yamaha "Club" series mains.

Cheap 2x15's w/piezo tweeters =

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse
                        View Post

So it does sound pretty uninspiring doesn't it?

Very much so.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by abzurd
                          View Post

That's when I decided to suck it up and do the PA myself. Basically I charge $50 a show for corner bar gigs and 10% on stuff in excess of $750 so for wedding and corporate shows I'm getting around $200. That also covers all the work I do to book the shows, work with brides, planners, corporate folks, etc. We also have a "band fund" which is $5 a person per show so $25 a gig goes to things such as web hosting, gaff tape, posters and clothes.

IF - and only if - you decide to stay in the band (and the reasons not to do so keep coming thick and fast) then how about getting everyone to contribute to the PA from the money you get for playing. Abzurd has given a great example of how this works for him, and it could for you.....If you can't afford to buy the stuff up front, then play enough gigs and you will be able to afford to get something decent.....and that will transform your sound......and maybe you get to do more gigs that pay well/better = virtuous circle.

I guess the alternative is the vicious circle of poor sound ---> poor gigs.

Good luck - it's not an easy situation.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Crownman
                            View Post

Believe it or not, it's actually fun. They are a good group of guys, we don't have a lot of the drama that a lot of other bands have, and we all have a good time when we play. I think ultimately, they approach it as more of a hobby where I think of it as more of a second job while also being a fun hobby. There's where we disagree about things like rehearsal, new songs, gear choices, etc... It's just frustrating that lately we've started developing a good reputation, have started moving from dive bar gigs to some of the better gigs (still dive bars...just more upscale dives...), so we've kind of started moving beyond just "hobby" status and are outgrowing things like our entry level PA, our relatively stagnant song list, etc..., and I'm trying to grow with it, but the rest of the band seem to be content with us staying at the hobby level. But if I overlook that, the bottom line is that it's fun, we all get along, and playing gigs keeps me sane. What's interesting is that even with our entry level PA, our complete lack of rehearsals, etc... we've started to get a reputation as a good band and have a lot of venues that love us. I can only imagine what would happen if we took it more seriously, upgraded the PA, rehearsed, constantly expanded our songlist, etc...
                            Current gear:
                            A whole bunch of stuff!

Hear me play at my Soundclick music page. Here.

Comment

View Post

I'll let you decide. And be honest, I'm not sensitive and am always open to criticism. I'm the guy with the Flying V.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d-d5SVG1N4

Ashlee Simpson is in your band? Cool.

I think this review of SA speakers tells you all that you need to know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXGN4nwerhk

Comment

Holy Mother Of God....

I don't want to stereotype based on accent, but that is one hilarious review.

Hahahahaha OMFG!!

"I'm gonna show y'all how to do it, how to slow your frequencies down. So your speakers can pick 'em up instead of fight to grab 'em. What happens is if you get extortion and you get mufflyness....it can't grab it. And what happens is it goes to the main and the tweet..."

Hahahahaha!!

Comment

Working...
                                X