Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seismic Audio speakers. Any good or crap?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep. Knowing how these things have gone in the past, I'll probably have to spring for the gear myself which sucks because I just bought us a new mixer and a bunch of other misc odds and ends like cables and adapters and stuff.

So, it looks like the first thing I'll be looking at is new speakers. I think that's probably our weakest link right now. The consensus seems to be that Seismic Audio is crap, even the dual 12 speakers, although I'm still not sure if those might be better than the Yamaha 12" A series we have right now.

From the recommendations here, it looks like if those dual 12" SAs are not any better than what we have, my best bet would be to look for some used Yamaha Club 15s? I've seen those on craigslist from time to time and they usually range from $300 to $500 a pair used. Are those really that much better than the ones we have right now?
    Current gear:
    A whole bunch of stuff!

Hear me play at my Soundclick music page. Here.

Comment

The seismic WILL NOT be better than what you have now. It will be worse. I rather try to use my Kenwood home speakers than those things.

And this may sound rude, but....... you're letting your idiot band mates screw you over. They obviously don't give **************** about the way you sound and when you're up there with them it makes you look like an ass also. Do you really want that "I don't give a ****************" rep by association?

If you buy gear with your own money charge these guys a fee to use it because chances are they'll treat it like **************** and just expect you to dole out the cash to fix it. Personally, after how you described the situation, I'd be outta there before my rep endured anymore damage. Let the morons race to the bottom without you.

Comment

Stay far far away from siesmic stuff, I can't recommend anything they make at all. Unless you're a competing band of course. What make and model amps are you using? It does make a difference.

OK, I don't often recommend powered speakers but you are an excellent candidate for them. Even a pair of mains w/o subs yo'd be better off with powered speakers. I know the market is tight right now, it's gonna be worse when every other band out there goes powered and cleans up their sound, and you band will be...?
        www.rock-bot.com
        Live-Band-Karaoke

bassist and sound reinforcement

Comment

Here is a question I am curious about: How good is your band, and I mean really? Because what if, and this is just hypothetical here, you guys aren't that good and getting more "rig" for your "gigs" isn't going to be of that much help to begin with? The problem with musicians and bands is that nobody thinks their own band sucks, even when they do. It's like driving and sense of humor: everyone thinks they are a good driver and everyone thinks that they have a good sense of humor, but this level of collective self-delusion simply doesn't account for all the ****************ty drivers out there as well as the raw tonnage of people walking around on this planet thinking they are funny when they are boring or just plain mean.

The same is true with bands. Everyone thinks their band is great or at least good. Yet, so many of bands you see in clubs range from mediocre to outright crap!

I know that the forum paradigm is to "throw money at the problem" in the forum of better gear, and I certainly understand this philosophy well. Look, guitarman3001, I am not saying you guys aren't any good. In fact, I have no idea. But I always wonder when I see threads like this...I wonder at how responsible it is for people to advise you to get a better PA when maybe that is not your problem or is only one part of your problem. It's also a shame that people are mostly too polite to tell you the truth, so it's hard to get unbiased opinions. People who come to see you undoubtedly think you are good, obviously. Maybe friends and family do, but perhaps it is because it is YOU and has nothing to do with he band?

Honestly, for whatever it's worth, if you really look at your band through clear and non-colored glasses and you determine that you are a good band that needs better gear, then by all means spend some time formulating a plan to get it by means of any of the fine suggestions already purported in this thread. But if your band or you aren't very good to begin with, does it even matter what gear you have at that point?

These are obviously hard questions that only you can answer.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ChiroVette
            View Post

Here is a question I am curious about: How good is your band, and I mean really? Because what if, and this is just hypothetical here, you guys aren't that good and getting more "rig" for your "gigs" isn't going to be of that much help to begin with? The problem with musicians and bands is that nobody thinks their own band sucks, even when they do. It's like driving and sense of humor: everyone thinks they are a good driver and everyone thinks that they have a good sense of humor, but this level of collective self-delusion simply doesn't account for all the ****************ty drivers out there as well as the raw tonnage of people walking around on this planet thinking they are funny when they are boring or just plain mean.

The same is true with bands. Everyone thinks their band is great or at least good. Yet, so many of bands you see in clubs range from mediocre to outright crap!

I know that the forum paradigm is to "throw money at the problem" in the forum of better gear, and I certainly understand this philosophy well. Look, guitarman3001, I am not saying you guys aren't any good. In fact, I have no idea. But I always wonder when I see threads like this...I wonder at how responsible it is for people to advise you to get a better PA when maybe that is not your problem or is only one part of your problem. It's also a shame that people are mostly too polite to tell you the truth, so it's hard to get unbiased opinions. People who come to see you undoubtedly think you are good, obviously. Maybe friends and family do, but perhaps it is because it is YOU and has nothing to do with he band?

Honestly, for whatever it's worth, if you really look at your band through clear and non-colored glasses and you determine that you are a good band that needs better gear, then by all means spend some time formulating a plan to get it by means of any of the fine suggestions already purported in this thread. But if your band or you aren't very good to begin with, does it even matter what gear you have at that point?

These are obviously hard questions that only you can answer.

I'll let you decide. And be honest, I'm not sensitive and am always open to criticism. I'm the guy with the Flying V.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d-d5SVG1N4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_xyMQsyGkE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONXtwXMJjZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzbpLe3qeOU

So, should we upgrade the PA or are would we be better served by investing the money into lessons? lol....seriously... and be blunt.
            Current gear:
            A whole bunch of stuff!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman3001
              View Post

... The consensus seems to be that Seismic Audio is crap, even the dual 12 speakers, although I'm still not sure if those might be better than the Yamaha 12" A series we have right now....

I know the SAs may LOOK like they may be a step up (if you don't really know what you're looking at) but do yourself a favor and resist the urge to buy with your eyes. Not everything that shines is gold.
              Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. -Will Rogershttp://facebook.com/SpitShineRocks

Comment

Hmmmmm Well, okay, honestly, Guitarman? As a fellow guitarist, I like a lot of what you're playing and your voice is pretty good. I also like the female vocalist. Trouble is, from what I can hear, the rhythm section of the band is bordering on awful. I can barely hear the bass player most of the time, but when I can, I am not impressed. Your drummer absolutely needs to be mic'd (as per thread topic) but he isn't all that great. Your rhythm guitarist is all over the place. I think that the rhythm section could sound better if they would play a little more in sync with each other. Honestly, though, to my ear it sounds like you are pretty much holding the whole band down. I would caution you, however, that if you end up playing with better guys or your guys get better at this, you will need to turn down your volume as you are way too loud, particularly in the solos in Sultans Of Swing. But I suspect that you are loud in this unit because you have to be?

My honest opinion is that you really need to seriously tighten up the rhythm section or take the female vocalist and form another band. Other than making the drums "sound" a little better and mixing in more bass to the PA, I see little virtue for you buying a PA at this point in time.

Again, though, this is all my opinion. You are a fine guitarist, and I think you can surround yourself with better people, to be honest.

Comment

View Post

I see little virtue for you buying a PA at this point in time.

Again, though, this is all my opinion. You are a fine guitarist, and I think you can surround yourself with better people, to be honest.

A good guitar player without a PA is a good guitar player. A good guitar player with a PA is a bandleader. If he wants to be.
                  Security Officers have been trained to not touch the service monkey

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by lonotes
                    View Post

A good guitar player without a PA is a good guitar player. A good guitar player with a PA is a bandleader. If he wants to be.

Well it certainly would make him more marketable to another band or to form a band. The problem is, however, he asked specifically about a PA for this band. And while I am far from the ultimate authority in cases like this, and this is just my opinion, I think that this band has bigger problems than its sound system. I just am not sure how much a better sound system will really help them at this point in time.

Comment

Yamaha a12 $229.00 300 WPC program SPL max 125

Yamaha C112V are 680.00 pair or $340.00 each. 350 WPC SPL can't find

I don't know much about Yamaha's but from what it seems like your crappin' out pretty early.

Comparison experience: I run JBL 515's SPL peak SPL 130 @ but I'm also feeding it 450 RPC RMS, loud, very loud and only in very large places do I run out of steam with the new hip hop boom tunes. The crossover takes out all the lows, therefore the speaker runs much louder as it doesn't have to produce the frequencies sent to the subs.

Comparision experience: Peavey TLS 5's I think peak about 127 SPL 15" two ways. They do get loud! I just don't like the sound of the Peavey's vs the JBL, but they would give the JBL's a run for loudness, just not "good" loud.

Peavey SP Peavey SP 5G 128 SPL Peak 99.00 bucks a pop here:

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm

Rolls SX21

Comment

View Post

Hmmmmm Well, okay, honestly, Guitarman? As a fellow guitarist, I like a lot of what you're playing and your voice is pretty good. I also like the female vocalist. Trouble is, from what I can hear, the rhythm section of the band is bordering on awful. I can barely hear the bass player most of the time, but when I can, I am not impressed. Your drummer absolutely needs to be mic'd (as per thread topic) but he isn't all that great. Your rhythm guitarist is all over the place. I think that the rhythm section could sound better if they would play a little more in sync with each other. Honestly, though, to my ear it sounds like you are pretty much holding the whole band down. I would caution you, however, that if you end up playing with better guys or your guys get better at this, you will need to turn down your volume as you are way too loud, particularly in the solos in Sultans Of Swing. But I suspect that you are loud in this unit because you have to be?

My honest opinion is that you really need to seriously tighten up the rhythm section or take the female vocalist and form another band. Other than making the drums "sound" a little better and mixing in more bass to the PA, I see little virtue for you buying a PA at this point in time.

Thanks. The drummer is actually mic'd. As for my own volume, yeah, I agree that it was too loud in Sultans. It's hard mixing from the stage and sometimes some of the levels can be a little off as was the case here. The problem with the PA is like I mentioned, it's simply not loud enough for some rooms and even for the smaller rooms doesn't have quite enough headroom. The PA obviously won't make us any tighter but if the venue wants us to be louder without clipping, we do need to upgrade it.

But I understand about all of the other stuff you mentioned and I always listen to criticism, positive and negative.

Since the only part of the PA that I own is the board and the other guys own the rest of the PA, I think I may just speak my mind about the necessity of upgrading and then leave it up to them to decide if they want to upgrade the parts of it that they own. Even if I did own a full PA, I would have no way of carrying it...I drive a very small car.
                        Current gear:
                        A whole bunch of stuff!

Comment

View Post

Well it certainly would make him more marketable to another band or to form a band. The problem is, however, he asked specifically about a PA for this band. And while I am far from the ultimate authority in cases like this, and this is just my opinion, I think that this band has bigger problems than its sound system. I just am not sure how much a better sound system will really help them at this point in time.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you. Due to the crappy speakers that I was listening through (Hmmm, crappy speakers hindering the listening experience. Someone should start a thread addressing that) I'm unwilling to make a judgement call on the band. They may or may not be good. I really couldn't tell. I was just going with the trend of the thread where we have established that the current band would rather give up gigs than try to improve the technical end. To me, that would be a significant sign that they have reached their peak position in the local market as they are unwilling to improve themselves. That indicate to me, a lack of commitment. Today it's gear. Tomorrow it's resistance to adding new songs. Next month, "why do we need to rehearse? We already know all of the songs". Conversely, the OP has shown a willingness to shoulder that load if necessary in order to improve the position of the band. I think that with proper care in selection of gear, he improves his marketability with or without the current members. And that's hardly a bad thing.
                          Security Officers have been trained to not touch the service monkey

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by nchangin
                            View Post

A little story, I started out 4 years ago or so wanted to build a lilttle karaoke pa but at the same time build a PA for band stuff if the need should arise. Started with DBX 223 and unbalanced cables going to two amps. Read up on balanced cables vs unbalanced, swapped it all out to balanced and I was pretty excited to find out everthing sure did sound night and day different.

Here is a post I found to read about balanced vs non balanced.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...#axzz2En1WPNc8

If that forum is an example of good information, we are all in a great deal of hurt. Post 22 is the only one that is even reasonably accurate. Most are totally clueless and congratulating each other for incorrect info.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

So This is what I did. In 2001 we started with a cobbled together amalgam of PA. I bought some double 15" Carvins (you know so I wouldn't need subs ) and Carvin mixer and amp. Bass player had a couple Yamaha club monitors. Guitar player had a powered mixer we'd use for the monitors. In the first 9 months we figured out we wanted to be better and hired out sound. The next 5 years we did that, but ultimately wanted to play better gigs which meant private shows, travelling, and staying competitively priced. I'd also found this site in late 2001 and was armed with knowledge learned here as well as some practical experience from the hired out sound and just band life in general. This was the first band I'd been in since my freshman year in college and easily the first "real" regularly gigging group.

That's when I decided to suck it up and do the PA myself. Basically I charge $50 a show for corner bar gigs and 10% on stuff in excess of $750 so for wedding and corporate shows I'm getting around $200. That also covers all the work I do to book the shows, work with brides, planners, corporate folks, etc. We also have a "band fund" which is $5 a person per show so $25 a gig goes to things such as web hosting, gaff tape, posters and clothes.

Everyone has always been on board and they know it's a mutually beneficial relationship. They show up on time ready to go, with whatever we're supposed to be wearing in tow, help me set up, play, then help me tear down. I book high $ shows and we all make more money. During "bar season" we don't make much, but it's $15 a person for PA and "band fund" contribution and an easy night. We price even our cheapest gigs so everyone's at least walking away with $100 after "expenses" for a night at a strip mall bar.

We're nothing exceptional, but we do what we do pretty well and manage to fill over 1/2 our dates with better than the common fare and have managed to go from

Show #19

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC_QyBTWzk8

to

Show 550+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk0T2vdV59I
                              PA: JBL PRX712, PRX718XLF, RCF 522A, 310A, FBT Vertus, A&H Qu-16
                              Lights: AMDJ Dotz TPAR, Haze Generator, Chauvet GigBAR
                              www.nextexitrocks.com | wedding band | Columbus, OH | VIDEO

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by lonotes
                                View Post

Not necessarily disagreeing with you. Due to the crappy speakers that I was listening through (Hmmm, crappy speakers hindering the listening experience. Someone should start a thread addressing that) I'm unwilling to make a judgement call on the band. They may or may not be good. I really couldn't tell. I was just going with the trend of the thread where we have established that the current band would rather give up gigs than try to improve the technical end. To me, that would be a significant sign that they have reached their peak position in the local market as they are unwilling to improve themselves. That indicate to me, a lack of commitment. Today it's gear. Tomorrow it's resistance to adding new songs. Next month, "why do we need to rehearse? We already know all of the songs". Conversely, the OP has shown a willingness to shoulder that load if necessary in order to improve the position of the band. I think that with proper care in selection of gear, he improves his marketability with or without the current members. And that's hardly a bad thing.

lol....actually yesterday it was resistance to adding new songs....and the day before was "why do we need to rehearse." What can I say.... we never rehearse (literally, never except when it's time to add new songs..the last time we rehearsed was probably 6 months ago), and adding new songs is always a discussion and hassle because no one ever agrees with the song choices and everyone is always in disagreement over whether a given song will go over well with the audience. The usual cover band drama... Fortunately those are pretty much our only issues and we don't have any personality clashes or problems like that. But no one ever wants to rehearse because of the time and money it costs and it's the same thing with buying gear. No one seems to want to spend money as long as our PA makes noises, no matter how bad those noises sound.

But yeah, I've been willing to shoulder as much of the load as I am able to afford and within reason. I'm not the founder of the band nor am I the band leader so I'm only willing to go so far. That said, I'm completely tapped out right now after buying the mixer and other stuff and some gear of my own. It would be nice if the rest of the band decided to pitch in and upgrade their own parts of the PA.

Anyway, I'm still searching for speakers..... nothing much on craigslist right now but will keep looking.
                                Current gear:
                                A whole bunch of stuff!

Comment

Working...
                                X