Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seismic Audio speakers. Any good or crap?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seismic Audio speakers. Any good or crap?

My band may need to upgrade parts of our PA system soon and I was looking at some Seismic Audio speakers. These in particular. $329 for the pair.

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/...p/sa-155.2.htm

What we have now are some very old Yamaha single 12" speakers. An older model of these - http://www.music123.com/pro-audio/ya...ay-loudspeaker

We play mainly small to medium sized bars and clubs and the Yamahas are just ok but they are small and sound as small as they are. We've recently started playing some larger venues and have been asked to play louder and unfortunately our 800 watt Crown amp and the Yamahas don't have any more to give and they distort when we try to turn them up as loud as the venues are asking for.

So, I'm thinking of upgrading to the Seismic Audios above if they are a half decent upgrade to the Yamahas and replacing the Crown amp with a Behringer inuke 3000 amp. I know opinions on the Behringer amps are mixed but what I'm really interested in is getting some feedback on the Seismic Audio speakers.

Are they a decent upgrade to the Yamahas or are they crap? And keep in mind that 90% of the time they will be used in the same venues we've been using the Yamahas, but for that other 10% we need something that with the right amp is capable of being louder and sounding fuller than the Yamahas without distorting.
    Current gear:
    A whole bunch of stuff!

Hear me play at my Soundclick music page. Here.

Way, way worse that what you currently have (which are by no means good).
    -

Comment

$329.99 for the pair with free shipping. Shipping a pair of 2x15s is going to run at least $60-$80. So you're talking about $120 each. Think about that.

1/4" inputs. Also not a good sign.

Going from Yamaha + Crown to Seismic + Behringer isn't even a lateral move, it's a very negative one.
      How about a mother****************ing crocodile pit instead of those titty ****************s !

Last edited by Jazz Ad on 06-20-2004 at 098 PM

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by soul-x
        View Post

Are their dual 12s any better? http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/...-p/sa-122t.htm

Current gear:
        A whole bunch of stuff!

Comment

I think you need to clarify more about what you're doing. What style of music, and what do you consider a "small to medium size" bar and club? What would you say the average attendance is at your shows? What else are you running for a PA, or would this be it?
          How about a mother****************ing crocodile pit instead of those titty ****************s !

Last edited by Jazz Ad on 06-20-2004 at 098 PM

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus-X
            View Post

I think you need to clarify more about what you're doing. What style of music, and what do you consider a "small to medium size" bar and club? What would you say the average attendance is at your shows? What else are you running for a PA, or would this be it?

We're a classic rock band. Small to medium sized = 20 to 100 people, the occasional outdoor venue with a couple hundred people but most venues are just your regular small bars and taverns. For the main system right now we have the two Yamaha mains, one Peavey 18" sub which is a giant piece of crap but at least it puts out some low frequencies and the Crown 800 watt amp which if I understand correctly probably only putting out about 200 watts per channel since the speakers are 8 ohm. We have one amp for the mains and a second amp which we use one channel for the monitors and the other channel for the sub.

We're just looking for something that will give us more volume than the Yamahas without distorting while still sounding decent. And no, we can't afford expensive stuff like Cerwin Vega.
            Current gear:
            A whole bunch of stuff!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by soul-x
              View Post

You are too kind...
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse
                View Post

You are too kind...

nah, I know our current speakers suck. They're fine at low volumes but push them a little and they distort like crazy.
                Current gear:
                A whole bunch of stuff!

Comment

Craigslist.

Don't get too hung up on power or running 4ohm speakers.

Yamaha clubs will sound better than the A12's and can be found cheap used.

If you live in a populated area put the word out and something should turn up or just start saving for a new rig.
                  The wheel is an extension of the foot

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus-X
                    View Post

$329.99 for the pair with free shipping. Shipping a pair of 2x15s is going to run at least $60-$80. So you're talking about $120 each. Think about that.

I estimated closer to $120 average US shipping costs for a pair. Also, I estimated that a UPS certified shipping carton would have a manufacturing cost of somewhere around $15ea... so the actual shipping cost (including shipping materials), would be possibly somewhere around $150 for a pair.

And all that's free with purchase.

Comment

To call SA crap is to insult crap.

If you think your Yammies distort too much, you are going to hate the SAs. You would do better to switch to a bullhorn. Do yourself a favor, save up until you can buy better. This isn't it.
                      Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. -Will Rogershttp://facebook.com/SpitShineRocks

Comment

save up $700 and buy new clubs. or save up $400 and buy used ones, nice speakers - i have 4 of them and they work great.

just dont drop them, even once........
                        band status - "its complicated"

Comment

The dual 12s are defenitely better than the first set you were looking at, which were, just by looking at them, absolute garbage. The cheap piezos and platic grill covers over the woofers are tell tale signs of speakers made to LOOK impressive, but not necessarily sound impressive.

Let's pretend you're looking for a new 4X4 truck. A good new Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge 4X4 can be found for 25-40 000$, but lucky you! - you find a dealer selling their 4X4s for 2500$. I imagine you would ask yourself why they are so cheap... They look pretty similar to the more expensive ones on the outside??? Then you would look under the hood and find a motorcycle engine. Also, you would notice the body is made of reinforced painted foil. The dealer might confirm that his 4X4s do work, and that they get 2 miles per gallon and offer a maximum speed of 10MPH.

Knowing trucks and what they need to be able to do in order to be useful to you, you would likely think to yourself : These trucks are very inefficient, offer very little performance and won't last very long. That's why they're cheap!

Let's pretend these trucks are the first speakers you were looking at. The dual 12s would be the value truck dealer's Elite line (5000$) - getting 7 MPG and offering up to 35MPH speeds which can be useful for some purposes, but not really offering what you need in the real world to get most jobs done right. Their long term value is almost non existent.

There are always reasons speakers are cheap. Unfortunately, you usually only get to find these out once you own them.

Al
                          KV2 KX12s - Yamaha DXR15s, RCF ART 310A , Yamaha DXR8 - Yamaha DXS12 subs, Wharfedale Titan 12 actives, Yamaha MG12/4 mixer X 2, Peavey PV10 mixer, Yorkville PGM8 mixer - Many Sony MD players (home and portable), Shure cordless microphone and a variety of LED lighting effects.

Comment

What are you using for a crossover?
                            www.rock-bot.com
                            Live-Band-Karaoke

bassist and sound reinforcement

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Unalaska
                              View Post

What are you using for a crossover?

Current gear:
                              A whole bunch of stuff!

Comment

Working...
                              X