4 wire cable

• Members

Is there any reason I should not run tops and subs through the same cable. I would like to make two 30' lengths of 12/4 sj or so cable with nl4 on one end and two nl2 on other end. This is just to simplify setup and clean up stage. Just checking to make sure it's not a bad idea for some reason i'm unaware of

• Members

It's done all the time. I don't know of any issues as long as the wire is of sufficient gage.

I bought a spool of wire and set up my system that way (except I used the through connectors to split rather than having a wire split). However, I quit using the 4 wire system because the wires were bulky and heavy to coil and pack around. I decided I liked using separate 12 gage runs better for mobile work, so I went back to my old wires.

• Members

Assuming that your subs and tops have NL4 connectors, using a four conductor cable can make it easier to correctly wire things at a show. With a four wire cable (and correctly wired connectors) you have less chance of sending your low frequency signal to your tops and suffering the painful consequences of that mistake. (Yikes!)

Note that there does not appear to be universal agreement as how an NL4 connector should be wired, and you might need to make changes at the speaker connector. I think that this is a "verify with your own eyes" kind of deal.... Mark C.

Edit: As usual, AgedHorse said it more concisely, while I was typing.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Robsco

View Post

This does sound like a better solution as I was not sure how to split into two connectors. Would 14 gauge be too small? I'm now concerned about weight and bulk

30 foot 4x12 cables won't be too bad. The wire is about the same size as a 10 gage grounded power cord.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Robsco View Post
This does sound like a better solution as I was not sure how to split into two connectors. Would 14 gauge be too small? I'm now concerned about weight and bulk
14 Gauge would be fine as long as you don't have real long lengths. I would keep it under 30 feet. Here's a real simplified chart suggesting cable gauges and lengths.

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/..._300/2521/7034

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sibyrnes View Post
14 Gauge would be fine as long as you don't have real long lengths. I would keep it under 30 feet. Here's a real simplified chart suggesting cable gauges and lengths.

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/..._300/2521/7034
Thanks for the link. Seems odd that wattage is not considered, also I assume you use the ohm rating of cabinet being supplied by cable and not the ohm load of amplifier its hooked to

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Robsco View Post
Thanks for the link. Seems odd that wattage is not considered, also I assume you use the ohm rating of cabinet being supplied by cable and not the ohm load of amplifier its hooked to
There's quite a few factors to consider if "everything" is to be considered. I suspect Yamaha devised that chart for simplicity sake. i.e.: A "quick answer" to a "quick question". The complete answer is longer.

One basic premise is that erring on the side of overkill when it comes to speaker cable gauge is generally a... well... "safer" recommendation. The down-sides to overkill speaker cables is the additional cost, the additional weight to handle and transport, and the increased strain on the connectors when the weight of the cable is bore by the connectors. The down-sides to erring on the side of under sized speaker cable is line loss, due to the higher resistance inherent in small gauge cable, and the potential of exceeding the physical power handling capacity of the cable.

How big of a bucket is needed to haul water? A simple answer is that if you

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by whataracket

View Post

It's done all the time.

Not only with bi-amp cabinets, but I also wire my passive wedge monitors so that half of the monitors are wired on pins #1, and half are wired on pins #2. I do this so I can put two channels of monitors on one NL4 cable and then chain monitors... resulting in less footage of cable strung about the stage to do the job.

Archived