Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by Keyrick
    View Post

I have used the M-Audio and the PreSonus units. Have a look at the link.

Are you specifically talking about those units with a separate power supply as opposed to the typical "DJ" type units that are USB port powered like this one?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...l-dj-interface

"We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger
      View Post

Are you specifically talking about those units with a separate power supply as opposed to the typical "DJ" type units that are USB port powered like this one?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...l-dj-interface

No, that is a Numark unit. I am talking about devices like these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...cording-system

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...obilepre-mk-ii

And the PreSonus unit has TRS balanced outputs.

Comment

For those of us who have to deal with USB, there can indeed be a problem with ground loops. I saw this myself when somebody came in with a USB connected analyzer app. and there was a 60Hz bump in the response of my system that I KNOW for a fact is not there. It was >6dB too, he isisted that my system was responsible and that it was my job to correct it. I pulled out my (real) analyzer and the bump was not there. The cause ended up being a ground loop on his measurement system.

Here's an application note for you industrial guys: http://www.analog.com/static/importe...ound_Loops.pdf

Also, the USB may not be connected to ground proper, but to circuit power supply common that may then be referenced to ground (via a bias supply). This stuff can get very tricky, and what works perfectly in one application may cause a problem with another and vis versa.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse
          View Post

Also, the USB may not be connected to ground proper, but to circuit power supply common that may then be referenced to ground (via a bias supply). This stuff can get very tricky, and what works perfectly in one application may cause a problem with another and vis versa.

Sounds like the USB version of the "Pin 1 problem"
          http://LBPinc.com/di

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by fdew
            View Post

Sounds like the USB version of the "Pin 1 problem"

Kind of the same thing. The problem is that USB was never intended to do the things that it is being asked to do. So it's like fixing problems that were never anticipated to be a problem when the protocol was developed.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

OP,

Guess I will try to wrangle this back on topic. Let me be blunt - time to man up and be businesslike. This is very simple - either the sound provider can provide what you need to do the show or they cannot. If they cannot, get another provider or bring your own PA. Quit trying to bend over backwards for the problem operator.

Let me say this another way: let's say you decide that you want to put a oval shaped pool in your backyard. Pool company #1 gives you a quote but says, "we only do square pools." They will not say why, just "it's the rules." Do you waste time trying to change their mind? F--k no. You get a pool company that will install the oval pool you want. Pool company #2, who will make any shape pool you want, happily puts in a lovely oval pool and your family thinks you are awesome.

I wager there are some folks near you on this very board who could provide you with the service you require without the insipid limitations.

My $0.02. YMMV.
              Chief fader ape, wire monkey, mic macaque, and speaker chimp.

Comment

Transformer-isolated, XLR output USB interfaces... that don't need special drivers:

http://www.arxamerica.com/Series_Direct_Boxes.html
                "I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile"

Comment

Transformer-isolated, XLR output USB interfaces... that don't need special drivers:

http://www.arxamerica.com/Series_Direct_Boxes.html
                  "I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile"

Comment

its too close to the gig to change providers, and its not the provider who is causing the issue. we are renting tons of gear from legends, a production house out here, and its to be run by a member of our group who has a background in pro sound, mainly for video installations but he is free so.. i have not recieved the list but it is enough gear, hopefully, to do a convension center ball room right for 1000 plus seated folks, and a 200 capasity dance floor. i'm approaching this as the one in charge of working with djs, trying to solve problems, but i'm not going to spend money on it, i'm not going to drive myself to distraction working with them, if they cant or wont provide what we need, then, the show is fubared because noone in the board of directors will change any of that with only a month to go before the four day event.

whatever happens..happens. but at least i've got a few neat products i want to buy now just to have in my "damn it how do i fix this " case.

Comment

You shouldn't be spending any money out of your own pocket and you shouldn't be coming up with solutions w/o some clearance from the people above you. You're not the guy in charge; you're a liason.

What you should do is advance the show with your dj's - find out what equipment they plan on bringing. Then once they tell you that they're bringing laptops, make it known to both the sound guy who's running it as well as his boss that this will be a problem if sound dude doesn't figure out a solution. The event directors are bringing in talent and sound dude is planning to refuse to accommodate the talents' equipment. Make sure everyone knows who it is who's making this decision, then let them make the call on how they want to proceed. This is the perfect time to pass the buck.

-Dan.
                      Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.

Comment

My macbook pro will run on a full battery charge for 7-13 hours. (13 hours as a jukebox with the screen turned the entire way down. I'm still getting this kind of life and the laptop is 2.5 years old.) One of these days you'll be able to do that with a PC laptop. I think he's wrong about laptops, but there are always problems cropping up in strange places.

Comment

What's the date of your gig? I have a RCF TTL11A rig that's perfect for convention ballrooms at the capacity you mention, and will happily isolate the buzzy laptops for you.

The photos I've seen of anime conventions look like they mostly use a bunch of Mackies on sticks. I can well imagine how bad it sounds.
                          Mike Pyle ~ Audiopyle Sound
                          www.audiopyle.com
                          Dealer for EV, Yorkville, Turbosound, A&H, QSC, FBT, RCF, Powersoft, R-H, Audix, Ashly, Danley, APB, Shure, K&M, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, Rane, SLS Audio, Denon, Radial Eng, Roadready, Global Truss, Ultimate, Elation, Chauvet, ColorKey, Bizzard, Yamaha, and much more...

Comment

this is a furry convension

www.furtherconfusion.org

basicly a bunch of fun loving kids who never grew up, and some crazy animal spiritualists, and a whole lot of elaborate costumes. its a fun party, but the dances have sucked mainly do to the prominance of hard dance music that a mascot suited individual cant keep up with, and not enough rig for the gig.

last year we had a way under speced system that sounded great at low volumes, then fell flat on dance music, it was four milo sixty meyer sound cabs per side, with one 700hp sub per side, self powered boxes, allen heath gl 4000 console, with eight of the subs and six of the milos it could have worked excelent. the poor subs were in limit pretty much the whole weekend, and the sound suffered badly.

the rcf rig would be great but its to late to put in an rfq, but maybe next year? i dont think i will be involved on a staff level next year and cant really recomend working with this group in its current organizational state though.

Comment

"We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

Comment

I think one of those conventions was the backdrop of a CSI episode a few years ago.

As for the laptop buzz, I have seen it on 3 prong mickey mouse eared power supplies used in domestic Dell & HP and almost all international models. Supposedly it can be cured it with a "ground lifting device" (cheater plug) on the laptop power supply, but if I did it that way I wouldn't advertise it for fear of liability.
                                www.RunningSound.com

Comment

Working...
                                X