Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Either buy a spare battery or two, or back out. It's not rude to explain that your system won't work within the parameters he's set. That's his issue to deal with, not yours. Unless, of course, you make it your issue.

Comment

The only way I can see to do strictly under his conditions is to use extended life or multiple laptop batteries...and yes, this is ridiculous rule. Would he take an output from an "old school" cd based system?

I'm not recommending this, but an "outside the box" idea would be to connect your laptop wirelessly to his mixer through an IEM system or something similar. Take the headphone out of the IEM receiver into a stereo pair on his mixer and output your line level audio into the sender unit. Now, admittedly, this introduces more issues than the laptop power supply...but if the guy is just being hard headed...it might be an ugly work around.

In that line of thought...I'm guessing there is not optical out (Toslink) on your system and an input on his...a fiber connection wouldn't cause any AC problems.
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Full-Steam/179028619290

Comment

So I'm assuming that you can't get enough power with the built-in battery? Does your laptop have an extended range battery available? How about swapping to a new battery mid show?

I DJ regularly on the side for fun and extra $ and the short answer to your question is *no,* running on battery power is not acceptable. I bring my own DIs for just this sort of thing if I use someone else's sound system; better yet, I bring my own PA.
        Chief fader ape, wire monkey, mic macaque, and speaker chimp.

Comment

Here's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by spottyaudio
          View Post

the guy in charge is grandfathered in for years and years..one of those "he'll do it for free" type things and i'm regretting my involvement with this whole thing at this point, but it'd be rude to back out now. anyone else ever worked a fan based convension like for anime or treckies? i shouldnt have.

I'd definitely walk. And if he likes working for free, have him mow your lawn after.

For free.
          NO SIGNATURE FOR YOU!!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by flanc
            View Post

I'm not recommending this, but an "outside the box" idea would be to connect your laptop wirelessly to his mixer through an IEM system or something similar.

IEM's tend to be noisy and not particularly HiFi - they don't have to be for what they are used for...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by spottyaudio
              View Post

the guy in charge is grandfathered in for years and years..one of those "he'll do it for free" type things and i'm regretting my involvement with this whole thing at this point, but it'd be rude to back out now. anyone else ever worked a fan based convension like for anime or treckies? i shouldnt have.

I don't think it's rude at all. You didn't make up the rules and if you can't accommodate you can't accommodate. It's pretty much that simple. Just tell the powers that be that due these specific requirements you'll have to decline and let the folks putting this shin-dig on deal with the hassle. If you're the only one to back out so be it. If they do indeed lose 1/2 the talent then they will likely make changes. Someone has to back out first for that to happen.
              PA: JBL PRX712, PRX718XLF, RCF 522A, 310A, A&H Qu-16
              Lights: AMDJ Dotz TPAR, Haze Generator, Chauvet GigBAR
              www.nextexitrocks.com | wedding band | Columbus, OH

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by abzurd
                View Post

If they do indeed lose 1/2 the talent then they will likely make changes.

You're making the rather large assumption that they aren't stoopid .

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger
                  View Post

You're making the rather large assumption that they aren't stoopid .

Either way you're out so who cares.

Comment

Plug it into a UPS.

The UPS is plugged into the power, not the laptop. The laptop is running off the UPS battery.

NO SIGNATURE FOR YOU!!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger
                      View Post

IEM's tend to be noisy and not particularly HiFi -

There IS a solution for that!
                      Don Boomer

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22
                        View Post

Plug it into a UPS.

The UPS is plugged into the power, not the laptop. The laptop is running off the UPS battery.

Note that this is true only for online/double-conversion type UPS's. These are typically more expensive than offline and line-interactive designs.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by dboomer
                          View Post

There IS? or there WILL BE?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Craigv
                            View Post

Note that this is true only for online/double-conversion type UPS's. These are typically more expensive than offline and line-interactive designs.

True. Buy the more expensive one, then you are setup for any future gigs as well.

NO SIGNATURE FOR YOU!!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22
                              View Post

Plug it into a UPS.

But if the laptop's power supply is too noisy, even a double-conversion UPS won't help. Mark C.
                              "Good tools are expensive. Cheap tools are damned expensive."

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by dboomer
                                View Post

Do tell ?

Comment

Working...
                                X