Compression on live vocals

• Members

Hello all! I need some help figuring out how to best amplify my vocals. When we play live, we play a range of songs, some where I sing quite loudly and forcefully and some where I sing rather softly. We have been having a lot of trouble getting a consistent live sound (unless we're using our own PA and running the sound ourselves), and it has been very frustrating to deal with. Last week, it struck me that running my vocals through some sort of compressor might help even out the volume I'm singing at and get us a better live mix.

Have any of you tried this with your own vocals? What do you think? Any other tips on getting consistent mixes when playing live?

THANKS!

• Members

http://www.dbxpro.com/product_downlo...s%20Manual.pdf

Page 5. This is the guide I go by for vocals, however the one in the chart (smoothing out vocal performance) I only use about 2:1 on the RATIO, the chart goes 4:1 RATIO and that's too much compression I've found (see post # 2 don't over compress). You are going to have to play with attack and release, and thresh hold and I only suggest this is a guide.

• Members

I use a separate compressor on each vocal mic, set at about 3:1 and start with the threshold at about -8 then watch the meters when each person sings. You'll still have to work the mic, but this helps even things out (well, it seems to work well for me). It's important to use your ears. When you're singing at lower volumes, eat the mic. Back away a few inches for louder passages--but listen carefully.

• Members

Am I reading it correctly that you're looking for something to run your vocal through before sending it to FOH on the gigs where you're not using your pa and have house guy running the system? If so, showing up with something like a compressor that the house guy has no control of isn't going to win you any friends.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Crownman

View Post

Am I reading it correctly that you're looking for something to run your vocal through before sending it to FOH on the gigs where you're not using your pa and have house guy running the system? If so, showing up with something like a compressor that the house guy has no control of isn't going to win you any friends.

Good point. I guess I didn't read the entire post. If you have a sound man, you need to rely on him to get your vocal where it needs to be.

• Members

While a house PA operator may be able/willing to add compression to your vocals, you might consider whether you could work on your technique so that you didn't have to rely on technology. If you know (based upon experience) what compression settings to suggest to the house tech, you can do that. Whether your suggestions will carry any weight is an open question, however. (Hence the initial suggestion.). YMMV. Mark C.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse

View Post

Frankly, I would work on mic technique first. It's effective, cheap and may end up allowing you to deliver a BETTER performance than messing with a compressor.

Aged, am I wrong in assuming that compression on vocals, for the most part, is only necessary for singers who do a lot of screaming or harsh and loud singing?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ChiroVette

View Post

Aged, am I wrong in assuming that compression on vocals, for the most part, is only necessary for singers who do a lot of screaming or harsh and loud singing?

Or who have poor mic technique, or for fine tuning some thickness and peak to average ratios (in the hands of a knowledgable, experienced FOH engineer).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
Frankly, I would work on mic technique first. It's effective, cheap and may end up allowing you to deliver a BETTER performance than messing with a compressor.
^^^THIS^^^

A mic is no different than the instrument you play. You have to learn how to select one and then learn how to "play" it. smile.gif

• Members

I watched some video and your microphone selection, coupled with the style being sung could make it very hard to "work the mic". I could tell it was an Audix, mic but couldn't make out the model. If it was an OM7 or OM5 you'll have a hard time working the mic for soft and loud passages to make them stand out the same because an inch makes a big difference. They are microphones you keep your lips on the grill with, which you pretty much did. In the video I watched the verse was almost mumbled, by design it seemed. That's tough to reproduce live without either extreme dynamics from everyone in the group (the band plays softly) or compression. If that was as OM7 or OM5 then you could likely get away with compression with less chance of feedback or unwanted "backline gak" than other microphones may give you.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
Yes, you are incorrect.

Compression is also part of the sound of modern music. The sounds we associate with these genres are often not possible without heavy processing, no matter how good the singer or instrumentalist.

That said, as others have pointed out, it's quite easy to make things worse rather than better if you don't know what you're doing.

-Dan.

• Members

After watching some of the OP's videos a compressor will be of no help...
The biggest problem I see is no dynamics.....meaning, the band is playing at a constant 10+ level even when the vocals are trying to do something softer.
Either change to screamo style vocals through out, or have the band learn to change intensity level with your vocals.

• Members

We use some compression on vocals and I like my mic level a bit higher than everything else in the mix. Screams just don't sound as good without it (this weekend's gig is a good example) and a lot of the songs we do go from whispers to talking to screaming to singing. I have to play guitar too and it definitely helps so I can move around a lot more. With the mic low and zero compression I have to worry more about volume and projection so everything else suffers a bit.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalen

View Post

I was forced to use a compressor on live vocals after a certain singer would scream "Yeehaw!" at random into his mic and blew a set of my horn drivers once. The compression keeps his vocal from clipping my power amps.

... or use properly sized power amps with limiters, and set your gain structure appropriately to accomodate such screaming. System processing, properly set, is another similar approach.

• Members

"Just because" I have dynamics on all channels with one of my digital mixers I set up ~8:1 limiters on all the vocal channels to tame the occasional blast and/or surprise "guest" screamer freak.gif or harp player. I strive for only seeing gain reduction on these unusual SPL excursions.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger

View Post

"Just because" I have dynamics on all channels with one of my digital mixers I set up ~8:1 limiters on all the vocal channels to tame the occasional blast and/or surprise "guest" screamer freak.gif or harp player. I strive for only seeing gain reduction on these unusual SPL excursions.

Hopefully you have adequate input headroom from which to subtract this gain reduction from.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse

View Post

Hopefully you have adequate input headroom from which to subtract this gain reduction from.

Yep - I run the thresholds on the DL1608 at -17db, signals are usually peaking just below that. I haven't checked out what happens when you overdrive the pre's on that yet - on my Phonic digital mixer the pre's soft clip before the A/D converters run out of range which is kind of cool. I think most digital mixers just over-range the A/D's = yuck.

Archived